New User
StevCanyn
0 Kudos

crap or doing it wrong?

Hi everyone, I have questions/comments about my nook hd (same as nook tablet right?). At first I really liked it, until I started to use it more, and now things are frustrating me. These things keep happening. Firstly the active shelf on the home screen is VERY aggrivating, if im not mistaken it used to flow from right to left with my most recently viewed books on the left of the shelf, which I could scroll through from right to left. Something changed it so now it flows left to right with my most recently read books at the right of the stack (still up front its just like the stack changed directions). I see no option to reverse it. but its not a big deal... Second, I rented and started downloading a movie, which was interrupted at about 9% downloaded. Now, I only have the option to watch what I have already downloaded of the movie, there isnt an option to re-download it. That doesnt make much sense to me. Something else, my nook likes to switch back to nook storage on its own even though I set it to the SD card. ok... my nook HATES to play online videos, I have high speed wifi access, and no trouble watching the same things on my laptop... but youtube videos and such just keep rebuffering over and over I can only get throught the first few seconds of a vid. At other times, regardless of what site im on the browser will just crash and go back to the home screen. Whats wrong with it??? Other times the touch screen seems glitchy, page turning is a headache because it will do a few pages at once or not at all. Swiping between the home screens almost never works the first few times... so i know this is alot to read sorry bout that but did I get a glitchy unit or is it normal?

I have a few general comments about the b&n store experience... Its AWFUL. It is not easy to navigate at all and movies and tv shows are very hard to find. There arent any "browse all movies" options or anything like that, if you dont know exactly what youre looking for but know you want something its hard to see any options other than the popular ones they want to shove down your throat... that is something I think they should have polished before selling. My second comment isnt meant to be harsh but the selection is very limited. The book selection is ok even though they dont have all the john d mcdonald books yet (seriously?), there are more movies that what I expected but I still think its lacking, and the absolute worst is the tv show selection, if you dont like breaking bad or walking dead youre pretty much out of luck. I understand that they need time to add content, im just saying i hope they hurry.

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

Re: crap or doing it wrong?

The forum for Nook HD/HD+ Support is Nook HD/HD+ Support

Some people at the NT Forum may have Nook HD's, but the focus is the Nook Tablet 8G & 16G.

Reader 2
LiziQOE
0 Kudos

I have a Nook HD+, and my shelf scrolls right to left with the most recent purchases on the left.  Not sure why yours is the other way around. 

As far as your other problems, I think it's the unit.  I love my Nook and don't have any of the problems you listed. 

Nobody is perfect - not even your Nook.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Firstly the active shelf on the home screen is VERY aggrivating, if im not mistaken it used to flow from right to left with my most recently viewed books on the left of the shelf, which I could scroll through from right to left. Something changed it so now it flows left to right with my most recently read books at the right of the stack (still up front its just like the stack changed directions). I see no option to reverse it. but its not a big deal...

* Swipe down from the top right of the screen (where wireless and battery icons are) to bring the menu. One of the options is Home Settings. Check if there is a setting there.

Second, I rented and started downloading a movie, which was interrupted at about 9% downloaded. Now, I only have the option to watch what I have already downloaded of the movie, there isnt an option to re-download it. That doesnt make much sense to me.

* Go to where the movie is shown in 'Library'. Press and hold on icon and choose 'Move to Cloud'. Now go to movie page in Shop. And redownlaod it.

Something else, my nook likes to switch back to nook storage on its own even though I set it to the SD card.

* SD Card is very buggy with Android 4.0. Better to use Nook internal storage.

ok... my nook HATES to play online videos, I have high speed wifi access, and no trouble watching the same things on my laptop... but youtube videos and such just keep rebuffering over and over I can only get throught the first few seconds of a vid.

* This seems like wifi issues.

At other times, regardless of what site im on the browser will just crash and go back to the home screen. Whats wrong with it???

* Download Puffin browser or Dolphin browser.

Other times the touch screen seems glitchy, page turning is a headache because it will do a few pages at once or not at all. Swiping between the home screens almost never works the first few times... so i know this is alot to read sorry bout that but did I get a glitchy unit or is it normal?

* Yes, return this Nook. You seem to have gotten a bad one.

I have a few general comments about the b&n store experience... Its AWFUL. It is not easy to navigate at all and movies and tv shows are very hard to find.

* On your home page, look at the bottom. There is a Shop button. Press it. Now look at the top right. There is a Movies & Tv Shows button. Click it.

Now you see everything categorized.

There arent any "browse all movies" options or anything like that, if you dont know exactly what youre looking for but know you want something its hard to see any options other than the popular ones they want to shove down your throat... that is something I think they should have polished before selling.

* Use the Shop> Movies.

My second comment isnt meant to be harsh but the selection is very limited. The book selection is ok even though they dont have all the john d mcdonald books yet (seriously?), there are more movies that what I expected but I still think its lacking, and the absolute worst is the tv show selection, if you dont like breaking bad or walking dead youre pretty much out of luck. I understand that they need time to add content, im just saying i hope they hurry.

* Book selection seems fine to me. Can you find these books in any other ebook store or are they not available as ebooks?

Movie Store is a few months old. give it time.

* Like the other commenter said - I don't get any of these issues with my Nook HD or HD+. Yes, there are some bugs. However, you seem to have gotten a bad one.

Contributor
XXjennXX

If your screen is doing strange things & going back to the home screen you may want to try to clean the screen. 

Not sure if that is what is wrong with your nook but it may help.

Wordsmith
BruceMcF

XXjennXX wrote:

If your screen is doing strange things & going back to the home screen you may want to try to clean the screen. 

Not sure if that is what is wrong with your nook but it may help.

Yes, especially if there may be grease on the screen. Capacitative screens are much more responsive than resistive, and allow multi-touch, but are much more sensitive to grease and moisture than resistive screens were. A small amount of 50:50 solution of rubbing alcohol and distilled water and a clean micro-fiber cloth can do wonders.