Contributor
robdrob
0 Kudos

defective glowlight screen

I noticed last night in the middle of my screen when the glowlight is on that there is a tiny rip in one the layers in the screen allowing light to come through.

Anyone else experience this issue?

There is no damage to the screen.

I guess a call to sustomer service is in order..

Thanks

Distinguished Correspondent
msmoonlite
0 Kudos

Re: defective glowlight screen

I'm assuming that you're still within the 14 days, and that sounds like a defect. I would call CS and have them send a new one.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

Contributor
robdrob
0 Kudos

Thanks Nallia I did not know you could do that ..  

Do I need my receipt or can they pull it up on their system ??

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

robdrob wrote:

Thanks Nallia I did not know you could do that ..  

Do I need my receipt or can they pull it up on their system ??

It's probably a good idea to bring your receipt if you still have it.

Contributor
robdrob
0 Kudos

Tanks Keriflur I can pull up the receipt online and bring it . Do I need the original box or can I Just take the new one  out of the box and put the old one in the new one's box.   reason I am asking is because the closest store is near work and instead of me going all the way home for the box it would be easire to switch at store level.

keriflur
0 Kudos

robdrob wrote:

Tanks Keriflur I can pull up the receipt online and bring it . Do I need the original box or can I Just take the new one  out of the box and put the old one in the new one's box.   reason I am asking is because the closest store is near work and instead of me going all the way home for the box it would be easire to switch at store level.

I would expect they're going to want all that stuff, but if you're at work now and the B&N is close enough, you could just swing by and try to exchange it without it.  I would think they could just give you the new one out of the box and put the old one in the new one's box for return.

Contributor
robdrob
0 Kudos

Thanks Keriflur.  I think I will give it a shot.  It's Friday and I feel lucky.

Have a great weekend.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

robdrob wrote:

I would expect they're going to want all that stuff, but if you're at work now and the B&N is close enough, you could just swing by and try to exchange it without it.  I would think they could just give you the new one out of the box and put the old one in the new one's box for return.

And then sell it as a refurb... :smileywink:

►Without order there is chaos◄
New User
siouxnami
0 Kudos

I had the same problem. I had my Nook Simple Touch with a Glowlight for three days without issue. I turned on the glowlight on the fourth day and 2 miniscule spots appeared on the screen. I thought perhaps I had accidentally scratched the screen but the spots were identical and not on the surface.

I went to exchange it at my local B&N but their inventory was reserved for pre-orders so I just returned it. Kind of just waiting now to see if it turns into a common issue or if ours were relatively isolated incidents.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,975
0 Kudos

Worth noting that you will not get an exchange for your NGL at a store, as the devices are currently out of stock. You'll get a refund and have to rebuy it when they eventually get shipped out.

Contributor
J-Porter
0 Kudos

My new Glowlight had the same issue!  I thought I had scratched it but it was under the protective/anti-glare screen & could only be seen when the glowlight was on.  I took it to a B&N store on the 10th, they were completely sold-out of Glowlights so I had to call the 1-800 number to get a UPS label & mail my Nook in.  I have been without my Nook since the 11th.  They were supposed to mail me a new Glowlight but they haven't yet & I assume it's because they're sold-out?  I don't know.  I haven't heard anything from B&N since I called on the 10th - I didn't even get an email from them when they received my Nook via UPS - so I called them yesterday (the 20th) & they said to expect a Nook replacement in 3-7 business days.  Let's hope it's sooner rather than later!  Also I hope the replacement doesn't develop the same issue.  I want to read!  :smileytongue:

New User
halfbloodprincess55
0 Kudos

I also have this problem. If the screen is bumped or banged even in the slightest it develops a scratch that allows extra light to come through and is annoying. I called customer service and they are sending me a replacement nook but I hope I don't keep having this issue even with my replacement.

Contributor
drew0020
0 Kudos

I had the same issue as well on mine.  I received a replacement from B&N and the replacement had the same issue as well.  I went back to my old NST.  I preferred it better anyways, but it seems like there are definitely screen problems with the new Nook which is unfortunate.

Contributor
3tzmom
0 Kudos

I'm already sending back my replacement glow because of this issue.  The first glow had a glowing spot after 4 weeks and the replacement got a glowing spot after 2 weeks. It's a very fragile screen and I'm  disappointed. I'm going to order  different case and see if the extra protection helps.  My family owns the first gen. and the tablet with no issues.   I did ask B & N if I could by insurance when the replacement nook arrives and they said yes. 

Contributor
AaronFMD
0 Kudos

I had this same problem. B&N didn't have any more to give me, but I was traveling.  I went into a store and they replaced it.  The only bad thing was, they opened the box, and pulled the NSTG out and handed it to me.  So the numbers on my box and my nook don't match.  Also, the one I turned in had a full battery and the one they gave me was only half charged.  They wouldn't give me the cord or charger because I didn't have mine with me, it was 3000 miles away at home.  Worked out.

a

Contributor
WideAwake
0 Kudos

I absolutely love my Nook w/glowlight. It's a fantastic technology.

However....

I agree with the above posters, there is an issue with the screen quality for sure. My first one had the 'light dot' right in the middle. Took it back to BestBuy, and the 2nd one was great for a couple weeks, and despite me taking very good care of it, another dot started, and in a couple days was pretty annoying. Took it back, 3rd one had a dot right out of the box. Took that back, and am on # 4, which right now, is perfect. BestBuy was cool about the entire thing, and I ended up getting their 2 year replacement plan, so I am covered if it happens down the road, but B&N definately needs to see these threads so they know there is an issue.

I keep my nook in a case, and to the best of my knowledge, nothing hit the screen at any time to cause the issue on #2. I may be picky, but if I spend 140$ on something, I really expect it to not have these flaws, and it worries me that down the road, it could randomly appear if I don't keep the thing wrapped in cotton, despite having one of B&N's official cases.

bobstro
0 Kudos

WideAwake wrote:

[...] BestBuy was cool about the entire thing, and I ended up getting their 2 year replacement plan, so I am covered if it happens down the road, but B&N definately needs to see these threads so they know there is an issue.

My enthusiasm for the NSTG has cooled since reading these posts, and I'm now of the opinion that buying one from BestBuy with that replacement plan is the way to do. How much was the 2 year plan?

Contributor
WideAwake
0 Kudos

24 bucks. They also have one for double that which covers it from accidental damage, IE you step on it. But they said any type of damage like I had been returning mine for, defects in the screen, would cover it. I supposed if you dropped a rock on it and tried to replace it, they might not. But these gradual errors should be fixed, it sort of looks like a missing pixel when the glowlight is on.

Contributor
WideAwake
0 Kudos

BB also has a 30 day return/replacement policy.