New User
irish1010
0 Kudos

download movies onto the tablet

Can you download movies onto the nook tablet to watch when you are in an airplane? Just got my nook yesterday and signed up for Netflix but that only streams through wifi.  How do I get an actual movie file onto the Nook?

Distinguished Correspondent
Czechboy

Re: download movies onto the tablet

irish1010 wrote:

Can you download movies onto the nook tablet to watch when you are in an airplane? Just got my nook yesterday and signed up for Netflix but that only streams through wifi.  How do I get an actual movie file onto the Nook?

Yes, you can watch movies on the tablet without being connected to wifi.  Since B&N currently only allows you to use 1GB of storage on the device itself for your own content (which, it seems, will change in March), you'll want to purchase an SD card.  If your interested in having several movies to choose from, I suggest at least a 16GB SD card.  I'm able to get seven movies into that space and have some leftover space for other content. 

The MovieGallery app (on the B&N app website) works really well for organizing and playing your movies once their on your tablet.  The same developer has also created a PC program called DVDCatalyst to get your own DVD movies into the correct format and size for the nook tablet.  I highly recommend both of them. 

After you have a movie in the correct format, you can just upload it to the SD card installed in your nook.

nook Tablet - Running CM7

"From the moon we're comedy, from the moon we're really quite a treat."
Frequent Contributor
klv84
0 Kudos

Does anyone have a recommendation for a program to use on a Mac?

Contributor
Hiberny
0 Kudos

Handbreak has always worked well for me for iPod videos.  I have yet to try it with Nook Tablet videos.

Inspired Correspondent
j-andersonjma

klv84;  use the search box on this forum to bring up posts concerning "handbrake"  should give you some good info on iOS and movie converters.

Frequent Contributor
klv84
0 Kudos

Thanks!

Reader
swissarmy

For Mac:   http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Color-General-Discussion/My-HandBrake-Settings/td-p/1012...       This link I followed the settings exactly & have had great results also check out this link

http://www.macdvdripperpro.com/

enjoy your nook tablet!

Contributor
Hiberny
0 Kudos

I'm not sure if this has been covered in another thread, but I couldn't find it.  Has anyone had success getting subtitles working on their movies?

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Hiberny wrote:

I'm not sure if this has been covered in another thread, but I couldn't find it.  Has anyone had success getting subtitles working on their movies?

What software are you using to convert your movies?

I know that handbrake has settings that include subtitles.

Please be aware that you include or exclude subtitles at the time of conversion and there is no option to turn them on or off when watching the movie.

Contributor
Hiberny
0 Kudos

Thank you! That makes a lot of sense.  I plan on using Handbrake.  I prefer having subtitles, but my wife hates them.  I guess I'll have to only put them on the movies I like :smileyhappy:.

Distinguished Correspondent
Czechboy

Hiberny wrote:

DVDCatalyst will also do this for you (although, I don't think it's available for Apple yet).  It's quite easy and works without any problems.

nook Tablet - Running CM7

"From the moon we're comedy, from the moon we're really quite a treat."
New User
luckyAlyssa
0 Kudos

a program that called pavtube DVD ripper has mac version ( http://www.pavtube.com/dvd-ripper-mac/ ), it also supports selecting subtitle

Contributor
iuki

I use DVD Catalyst (as previously suggested in this Book Club), and I am very happy with this.  I am not a computer or technology geek - so if I am able to use this software, ANYONE can use it.  :smileyvery-happy:

New User
MishaAR
0 Kudos

If you want to put movies onto your tablet, you have to download a dvd ripper to help do this.

http://www.freedvdrippermac.net/

Contributor
rocky1234
0 Kudos

what about movies that came with a digitial copy - i downloaded them through itunes to watch on my laptop but will they work on the nook?

Inspired Correspondent
j-andersonjma
0 Kudos

Not likely.  Search this forum for "digital copy".

Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

rocky1234 wrote:

what about movies that came with a digitial copy - i downloaded them through itunes to watch on my laptop but will they work on the nook?

No, they will not.

"Digital Copies" require some form of activation (which is what iTunes handles) and will only work on devices that support that. The NOOK tablet (and NOOK color) does not.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,980
0 Kudos

The only Digital Copies that will work natively on a NOOK are the "Ultraviolet Digital Copies" that a few studios are using, which can be downloaded via the Flixster Movies app.

New User
MercuryLiving
0 Kudos

HI DVDCatalyst! are you developing a MAC version?

Scribe
dvdcatalyst

MercuryLiving wrote:

HI DVDCatalyst! are you developing a MAC version?

I actually am, but, it will be quite a while yet unfortunately.

The reason why there currently is no Mac (or Linux) version of DVD Catalyst is because of my initial (2003) choice of development tools. The language that I use for the DVD Catalyst code doesn't port over to Mac or Linux. With the MovieGallery app I started with last year, I moved towards a more multi-platform friendly development system, and am currently working on getting the code translated over.

This is a long and complicated process, so it will be quite some time.