Contributor
Mockduck
0 Kudos

ePub or .pdf - just looking for tips

I have the ability to rent books from my local library for my Nook Simple Touch, and most of them are available in either .pdf or ePub format. Wondering if anyone has any tips as to whether either format is preferable for some reason? 

Inspired Correspondent
MacFlash

Re: ePub or .pdf - just looking for tips

[ Edited ]

The NST handles epubs much better than PDFs. You can change type size and font, as well as look up words in the built in dictionary. None of that works with a PDF.

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

Epub is just better suited as a format for all ereaders (as a general concept). It is meant to have more flexible formatting based on device and settings.

PDF, on the other hand, was originally out there as a way for documents to keep their format no matter the device (or programs or fonts installed).

While this is admittedly an oversimplification, and PDF has advanced since then, at its heart it just isn't as flexible for users.

When in doubt, go with epub.

BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 519
Solutions: 41
0 Kudos

This message has been moved for Violation of Community Guidelines. - Spam/Solicitation

Distinguished Correspondent
celandinehobbit
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Mockduck wrote:

I have the ability to rent books from my local library for my Nook Simple Touch, and most of them are available in either .pdf or ePub format. Wondering if anyone has any tips as to whether either format is preferable for some reason? 

Definitely, epub. I associate pdf with manuals and the sort. Something that might have diagrams or dimensional pictures. Epub will give you more options as to font and the layout of the book. 

Calibre is a fantastic tool to use for changing a books format, too, though I doubt that it can be done with a library book. I use it regularly to change formats and 'clean' up a book or add a cover when a file I have is stripped down to the basics. Makes everything tidy when reading on your Nook or other reading device. 

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

One special case is graphic novels ~ try those out with both and see which one works better for you. Nook comics are pretty good for the devices that can handle them, but generic epub is not really the ideal format for graphic novels. Its better than the Kindle format, but depending on your preferences, sometimes single-page pdf versions of graphic novels work better.

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

Bruce, I've got a pile of old scanned magazines in cbr format, and have been using ComicRack to read them. It works wonderfully, but I've been disappointed to discover that the format is not widely used. I assume that's because of DRM concerns. Is cbr a dying format? I ask because you seem to known a lot about these formats.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

epub.

For all the reasons stated above. ePubs are just much easier for eReaders and Tablets to handle than PDFs.

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:
Bruce, I've got a pile of old scanned magazines in cbr format, and have been using ComicRack to read them. It works wonderfully, but I've been disappointed to discover that the format is not widely used. I assume that's because of DRM concerns. Is cbr a dying format? I ask because you seem to known a lot about these formats.

Its is partly that the existing .cbr readers would choke on DRM, since the format is just a standard archive of a pile of image files with the .rar filetype changed to .cbr. Also, for reading on smaller screen devices a lot of people prefer panel at a time readers, and also is no panel dimensions information in a cbr file, so it doesn't support panel at a time reading.

OTOH, you can uncompress the archive as a rar, recompress the archive as a zip, rename it a ".cbz", and read that on a Nook Color with the built in reader.