Frequent Contributor
Larryb52

fixing BN and saving the Nook

biggest mistake BN made was trying to do the tablet thing with a closed app market. That era is over. They should of never left the friendly e ink readers as a secondary seller because when it comes right down to it BN is a book store and it is about reading and reading books. IMO the epub format is the right format and at this late juncture BN needs to release something new soon and there are new e ink screens that would cetainly IMO be welcomed by the reading community that like Nook and doesn't care for the Amazon method of selling. Me I would just like to see a new screen, smaller footprint, software that makes handling your books more friendly and make CS what it needs to be friendly and informative. Asking too much no not really BN needs to take a hard look and soon the Amazon is and shouldn't be the only one that can do this well and I can't believe BN can't just listen to what their customer want and deliver that product, just my 2 cents...

Distinguished Correspondent
gabourele
0 Kudos

Re: fixing BN and saving the Nook

Last I remember BN is not and has not left making ereaders. They still make them.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Frequent Contributor
Larryb52
0 Kudos

what I'm talking about is saying something like a new reader in the fall. All BN is doing now is talking and selling off stock , it looks bad and so far everything they have done has failed. They need to scrap the old methods and thinking and try anew. New hardware new software new corparate thinking to what the e readers want its not as hard as it looks not IMO , there are plenty of people here with good thoughts but don't keep people guessing as to when something new is coming, say we're working on it and you should see it 4th quarter and here is what it contains. Simple Touch reader is 3 years old the Glow version almost 2 and please lets not argue about time, Lets move forward and stop beating a dead horse...

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro

[ Edited ]

I do think the NC was important as a "breakthrough" reading tablet. While not the first tablet, nor the first 7 inch tablet, the NC led the way for cheap 7 inch tablets that most people, including those mostly interested in reading, could afford. It was my personal gateway into both Android and 7 inch tablets, as well as my "killer app" for ebooks. Prior to the NC, I'd kept away from ebooks. Devices were expensive, and functionality limited. Now I buy ebooks almost exclusively. Knowing that I could read them practially, as well as assurance that they'd be available on other platforms was important to me.

B&N lost the thread of ebooks being important when they decided that the NT could be a gold mine with a walled multimedia garden, and never really regained serious credibility after that. The recent recognition that more apps are important to a lot of people was a smart move, but too little too late. B&N has lost their edge as a leader in tablet devices, even though the HD/+ are a bargain at current prices.

Now that they're focusing back on books and readers, I hope they do several things:

1. Fix the broken apps and add functionality that readers have been asking for since the N1E.
  2. Provide consistency between reading platforms (tablet, eink, PC).
  3. Expand features from the NOOK dedicated devices to any device running a NOOK app (e.g. Read-In-Store).
  4. Incorporate sideloaded ebooks as "full citizens" in the NOOK library, including display of metadata.
  5. Get back in the eInk fight, at least where they can compete. Amazon is less the innovator here than Kobo these days, with solid low end (Mini at $39) and high end (Aura at $169) options. B&N should be able to do as well, if not better.

B&N has demonstrated that they can innovate. They seem to have survived the NOOK media tablet fiasco, though surely bruised. Hopefully, they can figure out what they are (I'm thinking books) and get back on top as a leading destination for readers. I don't think ebooks have finished evolving, and B&N has a lot of opportunities to leverage their expertise with books, as well as their still-large collection of physical stores.