Frequent Contributor
SuzW
0 Kudos

frustrated - can't use gift card

I have to vent - I just cancelled my nook HD+ order. I had meant to pay for it using a $100 gift card (not a B&N card but a Visa gift card) and put the rest on my credit card. I messaged customer service ahead of time, and the representative said I could do it. When I placed the order, I picked pay by phone, because the only other option was to pay it entirely using my credit card. I just called... the woman said the only way to do it is to go into the store, buy a $100 B&N card using my gift card, and then place the order. I cancelled the order... too much time & trouble. Maybe I will order again, maybe not.

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

Re: frustrated - can't use gift card

[ Edited ]

Yep agree B&N's gift card are limited in use and an obstruction to customer satisfaction!

You want my monies remove the Obstacles and Hoops from B&N's Shopping Experience. That and better layout and search for materials and items on the site itself.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

I don't get what B&N is thinking here. A Visa gift card is effectively just a visa card. Can they just not manage more than one form of payment on a transaction? 

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

I've run into problems using Visa fifth cards in stores when the purchase cost more than the gift card.  It wouldn't just take what was on the card and leave a balance due it would reject the whole transaction saying there wasn't enough funds.  The only they could get it to work was to key in exactly how much should be applied to the gift card.  So i wonder of the systems don't see the Visa gift card as a with a limit and when it checks all it sees is there isn't enough available credit to complete the transaction.  I stopped giving Visa gift cards because the recipients were running into this problem.

Correspondent
moogs
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

They don't charge the card until the product ships...the nook hd wont be available until november 1st...when they go to bill, the gift card could have already been used for something else.Then they would have to track you down to get the balance of the payment.

If you we're buying a product that was available for immediate shipment then they could have used the 2 cards.

The difference, a credit card has a flexible amount of credit...the gift card is only good for the original amount of the card. Once used up, the card has expired. Some cards can be "re-charged" but you use the entire value you won't be able to use it again until the cash payment is posted to the card.

More than likely they can freeze the amount on a b & n gift card until the item ships. If you cancel the order they re-issue a card.

BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 517
Solutions: 40

[ Edited ]

Hi SuzW,

I'm sorry for the trouble you've faced with this preorder. I'm hoping I can shed some light on this for you.

What the agent said is partially true, unfortunately we cannot combine partial payments with a CC and Visa GC. This is due to a system limitation and how Visa GC's are treated within our system. That limitation being, only a single CC can be applied to any given order and Visa GC's are not recognized as giftcards, but as CC's.

With that said, the work around the agent offered is certainly valid and understandably frustrating. However, instead of traveling to a store, you should have also been given the option of purchasing a BN electronic gift card and performing the same function. Still an added step, but perhaps a bit more palatable

Again, I understand your frustration and I hope you do place an order with us again. 

Feel free to contact me directly should you have any other questions/concerns. I'll be more than happy to assist.

- Alex

Click the Laurel leaf to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue. This may help someone else.
Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

BN_AlexG wrote:

Still an added step, but perhaps a bit more palpable

Or at least more palatable. :catlol:

Please visit me on Goodreads. Currently reading:
Journey Into Now by Leonard Jacobson
BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 517
Solutions: 40
0 Kudos

Sun_Cat wrote:

BN_AlexG wrote:

Still an added step, but perhaps a bit more palpable

Or at least more palatable. :catlol:

Haha noted. :smileyhappy: Thanks!

Click the Laurel leaf to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue. This may help someone else.
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Alex - Is B&N working on changing the two-forms-of-payment issue?

Scribe
frantastk
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

keriflur wrote:

I've actually had this issue with multiple places online. I actually haven't found a place online that will let me split charges between 2 credit cards. Visa gift cards are considered credit cards in store transactions, according to my bank. If an online shop only allows one credit card per transaction (this is the way every place I've tried works, granted I haven't tried them all, it may just be where I shop) and your purchase is more than the visa card, you can't use it. And when using it in person at a b&m store, and your purchase is more than your Visa GC, you have to tell the cashier the exact amount left on the card because they can't tell by swiping it through how much is left (at least they can't according to my bank). This is a bit annoying, as I have a Visa GC with a rather low balance, but in order to use it anywhere I have to remember to log in to my bank and check the exact balance before trying to use it.

*Most places online (every place I shop, anyway) allow you to use a store gift card and credit card together. I think it's just that the Visa gift card is put through as a credit card. I don't now why you can use muiltiple credit cards in one transaction in person, but not online.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

I  believe you can use two forms of payment it just can't be two cc.  You can use a BN gift card as partially payment but not Visa gc.  To be honest my experience is that Visa gc are a pain to use most places unless you purchase is the exact amount of the gift card, which is why I no longer give them as gifts.
Frequent Contributor
SuzW
0 Kudos

I'll try purchasing an electronic gift card online... at least then I can order my nook HD+!

I know I'm in the minority, but customer service representatives should know in advance what funds can be used. Even a clearly-stated sign posted in their cubical would work.

Thanks, Alex, for your help.

Susan

Frequent Contributor
SuzW
0 Kudos

It's been an hour and a half since I ordered my electronic gift card... and no gift card yet.
Frequent Contributor
SuzW
0 Kudos

The gift card finally came through at 6:30 last night... and I placed my nook HD+ order today!