Contributor
epubor

how to share nook books,share?lending?

sometimes we should like to share ebooks with family or good friends.

also ,we may lending books to our friends.

but how to share or lend nook books ?

there is a usefull guide,enjoy!!

http://www.epubor.com/how-to-share-nook-books.html

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

Re: how to share nook books,share?lending?

As I posted in response to another copy of this:

Certainly we have seen many previous posts reporting that to remove DRM from ebooks is illegal.  That question is up to the individual.

The more important issue, IMO, is that we are being asked to install software, from an unknown source, produced by someone who cannot even compose grammatical English, posted on an anonymously registered godaddy website, whose ownership is deliberately unavailable.  The website does not even have an "About us" page to hint at who these people are..

History tells me that this is a bad idea.  Very bad idea.

Distinguished Scribe
gb18

The problem is that we don't own ebooks...........................even though we pay for them!

Freedom is not free.
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

epubor wrote:

sometimes we should like to share ebooks with family or good friends.

also ,we may lending books to our friends.

but how to share or lend nook books ?

there is a usefull guide,enjoy!!

http://www.epubor.com/how-to-share-nook-books.html

If they are family or good friends, you can share eBooks without going through all of this.  You simply sideload the book and the first time you try and open it, it will ask for the name on your BN account and your cc number.  Input that into the Nook and the book will and so will any others you purchased with the same credit card.  See this link for a more detailed how to.

Meant to add, I agree, I'd wouldn't install any software from and unknown site.

New User
sweetEL
0 Kudos

I have a more intuitive and  easier way to solve this problem: this is what I usually  do tho solve this problem, so just recommend it to all of you!

the easiest way to share nook books within seconds

enjoy reading these nice nook books anytime!

bobstro

Why on earth would you pay $27? The tools to do this are free.

Inspired Correspondent
MusicmanGG

The B&N method of DRM is the most consumer friendly and allows you to share books to family members who had different B&N Accounts.   As previously stated you simply sideload the book and the first time you try and open it, it will ask for the name on your BN account and your cc number.  Input that into the Nook and the book will and so will any others you purchased with the same credit card.

You can't do this with a Kindle......

Wordsmith
PJLLB
0 Kudos

You can also share the book to others for a period of time, just like Amazon, depending on publisher restrictions.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

PJLLB wrote:

You can also share the book to others for a period of time, just like Amazon, depending on publisher restrictions.

If you are referring to the LendMe feature, that is a complete and utter joke.  It's only available on some books, for a period of 14 days, one time.  If you are going to share books with family/friends, you would probably be better served by sideloading the books to their device and entering your information.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
New User
smith_melissar
0 Kudos

I just got a Nook for my birthday and you can add me! smith_melissar@hotmail.com  Melissa Smith  None of my friends have a nook. Thanks :smileyhappy:

New User
AD2Read
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Actually, the B&N method of DRM is NOT that consumer friendly!  While it makes it possible to share books among family, tying it to a credit card number is not always convenient. Often times credit card issuers change credit card numbers when the card renews and they certainly do so when a lost or stolen card is replaced. That means in order to sideload books one would have to keep a list of which credit card number was used when each book was purchased.  Perhaps someone could also tell me what happens when your Nook or device using the Nook app has to be replaced and you have to download all your books again?  What credit card number would be attached to the DRM then?

keriflur

AD2Read wrote:

Actually, the B&N method of DRM is NOT that consumer friendly!  While it makes it possible to share books among family, tying it to a credit card number is not always convenient. Often times credit card issuers change credit card numbers when the card renews and they certainly do so when a lost or stolen card is replaced. That means in order to sideload books one would have to keep a list of which credit card number was used when each book was purchased.  Perhaps someone could also tell me what happens when your Nook or device using the Nook app has to be replaced and you have to download all your books again?  What credit card number would be attached to the DRM then?

The card number that's on file at the time of download is the card number that's used for DRM. 

Inspired Scribe
kamas716

AD2Read wrote:

Actually, I think B&N's DRM is extremely consumer friendly, certainly better than any of the other DRM alternatives out there.  Maybe my family/friends and I are just different, but we don't go changing our default credit card for each purchase.  I've never had a credit card number change on renewal, just when I had issues with unauthorized charges.

New User
AD2Read
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

keriflur wrote:

AD2Read wrote:

The card number that's on file at the time of download is the card number that's used for DRM. 

That is good information to know. Thanks.

New User
AD2Read
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

kamas716 wrote:

AD2Read wrote:

Actually, I think B&N's DRM is extremely consumer friendly, certainly better than any of the other DRM alternatives out there.  Maybe my family/friends and I are just different, but we don't go changing our default credit card for each purchase.  I've never had a credit card number change on renewal, just when I had issues with unauthorized charges.

My family is the same way.  My kids are trustworthy enough to ask before thay would charge anything to the default credit card.  I have had card numbers change on renewal and sometimes even before they expired for other reasons than a lost or stolen card.  However, the other reply I received suggests that simply downloading the book again solves that problem.

Still, I would rather see B&N use some sort of activation code determined by the account used to purchase the book instead of a credit card number.  I can see why they wouldn't though.  People are going to be less likely to share credit card numbers.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,947

AD2Read wrote:
People are going to be less likely to share credit card numbers.

That's the entire idea. It's a number that you wouldn't really mind sharing with family members, but are not going to just post up on the internet to give out free books to everyone. In terms of DRM (which is still evil) it's definitely the most permissive.

And compared to certain DRM schemas (*coughamazoncough*), BN's is freaking gold.

keriflur
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

AD2Read wrote:
People are going to be less likely to share credit card numbers.

That's the entire idea. It's a number that you wouldn't really mind sharing with family members, but are not going to just post up on the internet to give out free books to everyone. In terms of DRM (which is still evil) it's definitely the most permissive.

And compared to certain DRM schemas (*coughamazoncough*), BN's is freaking gold.

And you don't even technically have to share it.  If you in the presence of the other person's nook, you can just type it in when the nook prompts you to, and the other person is all set to go.

If my understanding is correct, the card number isn't actually stored anywhere on the nook.  It's just used to generate a hash that's stored on the nook and used to decrypt the DRM.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

AD2Read wrote:

Still, I would rather see B&N use some sort of activation code determined by the account used to purchase the book instead of a credit card number.  I can see why they wouldn't though.  People are going to be less likely to share credit card numbers.

Well, you could buy your books through Google, Kobo, or Sony and sideload the books.  Once your nook is registered, there's really no reason to even have wifi on unless you are using the internet or some apps.

Frequent Contributor
sailspirit
0 Kudos

NOOK friends does not work when the NT owner and / or the NOOK friend changes their email address.  The NT does not allow you to change the "device" email address (without deregistering & registering, and you lose your email set-up [not easy to do first time!], home wi-fi router settings, docs, etc.).  My new email for B&N to zing-charge me if needed, works (the B&N email is now different from my NT device email).  (I've posted this before, doing so again in case someone has found a solution!).  Thank you!