Contributor
bchbmz
0 Kudos

log off/Sign out of Email

Hopefully someone can help me.

I cannot turn off/lof off/sign out of my email since the new update.

I have tried restarting the NC and have also tried turning off the Wifi connection.

When the email APP is selected it still opens up my email account and shows the last 25 emails.

I want to disable this because I often let my friend use my NookColor but don't want her having access to my emails.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Did I mention i LOVE my NookColor!

d

Wordsmith
irunlikeagirl
0 Kudos

Re: log off/Sign out of Email

This is a great question.  Does the NC allow for logging on and off of your email?  In the account settings under "outgoing settings" there is a box checked that says require sign-in, but I am never asked to sign in, nor do I see a place to do that. 

This is just through the email app, btw.

Contributor
henhowc
0 Kudos

bchbmz wrote:

Hopefully someone can help me.

I cannot turn off/lof off/sign out of my email since the new update.

I have tried restarting the NC and have also tried turning off the Wifi connection.

When the email APP is selected it still opens up my email account and shows the last 25 emails.

I want to disable this because I often let my friend use my NookColor but don't want her having access to my emails.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Did I mention i LOVE my NookColor!

d

I don't have my NC in front of me right now so I might be talking out of my butt...

BUT...most e-mail clients have a save password option in the incoming and outgoing server options. Did you check there? Most e-mail clients automatically assume that you want to remain "logged in" if you have save password checked.

Wordsmith
irunlikeagirl

Nope...nothing there.  Your butt's a good guesser though. :smileywink:  There is a box for outgoing server that says "require sign in" but it has never required me to sign in yet.  I am going to try logging out of email from my PC and see if that makes a difference.

Frequent Contributor
netscorer
0 Kudos

Current version of the Email client does not allow you to sign off. A am afraid, the only way to prevent someone from seeing your Email would be to archive the app, whih would require you later to reconfigure it once again.

The option for the outgoing server with sign in requirement is not what you think. Since Email client does not send Emails by itself but through the server (that very same outgoing server) and some servers require you to authenticate before being able to send Email, they provided this option.

Contributor
bchbmz
0 Kudos

I just don't like the fact that the emails are always there to be viewed.

Is there a chance this will be corrected?

what about a way to just remove the new email system and go back to what I was using before the update?

I appreciate your help

d

Frequent Contributor
netscorer

bchbmz wrote:

I just don't like the fact that the emails are always there to be viewed.

Is there a chance this will be corrected?

what about a way to just remove the new email system and go back to what I was using before the update?

I appreciate your help

d

Just checked for you. My initial assumption that you could simply archive the app is incorrect. Since when I long press the icon it does not give me such option like with other apps. But what you can do is open Email app, click on drop-down where you have your different (or single) accounts defined and then click on the 'Accounts' label. This will give you list of all accounts with chack box next to them. Select the check box and click on the trash basket icon on the top right. It would prompt you to remove account and once you confirm, the account and all Emails associated with it would be gone from your Nook. I would suggest you write to B&N and ask to improve the Email app. The more complaints they receive the more pressure there will be to make an upgrade.

Cheers.

Contributor
henhowc
0 Kudos

Just took a more thorough look at the e-mail client and all of the other posters are correct.

The NC does not allow you to setup any accounts without entering and storing your password. Which is really odd since not allowing you to do so is a privacy/security issue. If you're worried about other people reading your e-mails, you probably want to stick to webmail via the browser for the time being.

Contributor
travel2carib
0 Kudos

I really liked the new e-mail, but just deleted both e-mail accounts.

I have been trying to figure out how to sign out - definitely a privacy issue.

Contributor
JeffryG

Well, I said I wasn't going to download the update for awhile; but curiosity got the best of me and I did.  I too, noticed that you cannot sign out of your email account.  Someone earlier said they were going to try signing out on their PC to see if that works.  I tried it.  It doesn't work.  Hopefully B&N will correct this problem with a patch or download.  I agree that we should let them know.  But let's not be rude or snide about it.  A phone call or email, explaining the problem and asking nicely for help will be met with more of a positive attitude.  Just my opinion.

"Each gravestone has a few things on it: a date of birth, a dash and a date of death. Well, that dash is our life... and it's what we do with that dash that really matters."
Kimberly Johnson
Contributor
bchbmz
0 Kudos

The new email APP works much better than the old way i was accessing my account-which used to "hang up" all the time. however the privacy issue is a major concern and i will write B&N a polite email and ask them to address the issue.

New User
digimoi
0 Kudos

Thanks for this thread, I think I'll wait to try this feature as well. My concern would be not so much privacy as kid-proofing. I downloaded a lot of "kid" apps for my preschooler to play on an upcoming roadtrip, but he just LOVES pressing that little "n" button, and my luck would have him somehow land in my email and start deleting or forwarding things at random.

Contributor
bchbmz
0 Kudos

I wrote to B&N and expressed my concern.

They emailed me back and verified that at this time there is NO way to sign out of the email. But they have forwarded this concern to tech help/developers.

Crossing fingers and hoping a fix comes soon,

d

Contributor
lkpj
0 Kudos

I am looking for an answer and can not find a question to match...So I will just ask here and see if you can help. I can't get any of my contacts to stay updated. I have added all the personal ones I needed by hand, but once I quit the app and come back later all the contacts but the three i had origonally on contacts are gone! I tried it 3 x and i am not doing this again. I even tried adding them from the email received from the contact and it was there only until I quit the app. Next time I wanted to send an email it had only my 3 origonal contacts. So no good unless you hit reply or use a paper copy all your addresses!
Bookin' it forever!
Contributor
lkpj
0 Kudos

In case anyone else is checking these-- I fixed allmy issues by deregistering and then reregistering my Nookcolor. It seems like sideloading the update may have left an issue with the contacts and by reregistering the tech then sent me the whole update over. All my contacts remain as they are on my google acct, and if we are facebook friends their pix appears too! As I discovered with origonal NOOK! anything new is going to have quirks to work out! I personally still love my Nookcolor! As my hubby says, it is not gonna function like a 20 gig computer! If you want that then take your laptop along! Cudos to B&N!
Bookin' it forever!
New User
mrb86

I Found it!  When in your email, scroll down to the bottom of the page and you will find the message ....

Please give me your feedback and below that

Hi ....... in your city

Sign Out ! Settings

Privacy  !  Legal  ! Help

Select Sign out!!!!!

Your good to go

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Good catch. I like how they made it easy to find. NOT!

New User
Dorie13
0 Kudos

I also want to log out of my email app. I will try this
New User
EbonyprincessNC
0 Kudos

Thnx for sharing, but are you in the EMAIL app or accessing your email via the WEBMAIL app?  I am not finding that message....thnx 

Ep