Contributor
shefrn1
0 Kudos

micro SD card for the nook color?????

[ Edited ]

I don't know if this has been discussed yet but i'm looking to get a 32 gb card for my nook color......what kind has everyone bought????  i wanna order one off of amazon but wanna make sure it's gonna work and that people are satisified with it before i by

Thanks in advance

Contributor
shefrn1
0 Kudos

Re: micro sg card for the nook color?????

sorry for the typo...meant to say SD card...new to the boards here and can't see where i can edit....sorry

BN_Cece
0 Kudos

Re: micro SD card for the nook color?????

Hi shefrn1, You can install an SD Memory Card in your NOOK Color to add up to 32 GB of memory to your NOOK Color—enough for many thousand more books, along with periodicals, music, and personal files.

Types of Memory Cards Supported

Your NOOK Color works with two types of SD Memory Cards: a microSD™ or microSDHC™ card.

Supplemental microSDHC cards will hold about 1000 NOOKbooks per gigabyte. The amount of space for NOOK Books is affected by how much space you devote to other files, such as music and audiobooks.

Following are the specifications of supported cards:

• A microSDHC card with a storage capacity of up to 32 GB.

• Class 6 microSDHC cards are supported. Class 6 is faster than class 4, which is faster than class 2. The class should be mentioned on the packaging for the microSDHC card and printed on the card itself. If no speed is indicated, the card is a class 2 card. The speed of the card does not affect page display speeds. It can affect read and write speeds when transferring books, periodicals, and personal files to and from the SD card.

• The microSDHC card must be formatted with a FAT32 file system.

Contributor
shefrn1
0 Kudos

thank you...i saw that in the guide book...but i want to know what different brands people have experience with....

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Class-Memory-SD4-32GB/dp/B001C9P5TO/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304...

this looks compatable...but then it says something about

Compatible with SDHC host devices; not compatible with standard SD-enabled devices/readers

i don't want to purchase it if it's  not going to work IYKWIM

thank you

Frequent Contributor
suvlady
0 Kudos

shefrn1 wrote:

thank you...i saw that in the guide book...but i want to know what different brands people have experience with....

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Class-Memory-SD4-32GB/dp/B001C9P5TO/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304...

Compatible with SDHC host devices; not compatible with standard SD-enabled devices/readers

thank you

For what it's worth, my best experience has been with the SanDisk brand and Class 4.  I have a 16 GB card which I use and it works great.  I've heard of others using Transend 8 GB Class 6 cards also.

Thanks!

Distinguished Correspondent
DrAstro
0 Kudos

I assume you want it just for storage purposes, and not for all the "rooting" possibilities.  In that case, basically any microSD card of 32 GB or less should work fine. 

The potential problem you could run into, is that sometimes you might get a bum card that just doesn't work.  It doesn't mean that the brand is bad, it just means you got a lemon.  If that happens, you may have to exchange your microSD.  Other than that, unless someone else knows better, go for the kingston!

Frequent Contributor
suvlady
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Shefrn1 wrote:

thank you

suvlady wrote:

For what it's worth, my best experience has been with the SanDisk brand and Class 4.  I have a 16 GB card which I use and it works great.  I've heard of others using Transend 8 GB Class 6 cards also.  Also, the 16 GB Sandisk Class 4's are on sale currently at Radio Shack for $24.99.

Thanks!

Distinguished Correspondent
DrAstro
0 Kudos

Darnit suvlady.  Now I'm going to spend another 25 bucks to get an SD card just to try out more ROMS!  Why'd you have to say that :smileytongue:

Frequent Contributor
suvlady
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

DrAstro wrote:

Darnit suvlady.  Now I'm going to spend another 25 bucks to get an SD card just to try out more ROMS!  Why'd you have to say that :smileytongue:

If there is a "deal", I will find it! :smileyhappy:  I've got so many SD cards floating around here I can't keep it straight what has what on it anymore.  I've tried so many different classes and brands, but I've settled on the SanDisk as the smoothest for now!

Contributor
shefrn1
0 Kudos

thank you guys

i actually bought an 8 GB sandisk at target the other day but didn't open it cause i second guessed myself...i'm uaually the kind of person that's full use of my device.....if it takes a 32 then i thought i should get a 32 but now i may have to return my 8 and get the 16 at radioshack...thank you

Frequent Contributor
suvlady
0 Kudos

shefrn1 wrote:

thank you guys

i actually bought an 8 GB sandisk at target the other day but didn't open it cause i second guessed myself...i'm uaually the kind of person that's full use of my device.....if it takes a 32 then i thought i should get a 32 but now i may have to return my 8 and get the 16 at radioshack...thank you

Sounds like a plan.  The 16 GB is my "main" card.  I have other 8 GB and even 4 GB that I try different RoM's on so I can see what I like best.  Good luck and keep us posted!

Frequent Contributor
suvlady
0 Kudos

Re: micro sg card for the nook color?????

shefrn1 wrote:

sorry for the typo...meant to say SD card...new to the boards here and can't see where i can edit....sorry

Click on the "Options" button in the top right corner to Edit a Reply.  You can also click the "Quote" button when doing a reply to include the person's previous message.  I just figured that one out recently myself.  :smileysurprised:

Contributor
NC2768
0 Kudos

Re: micro SD card for the nook color????? -- Does the Class matter?

suvlady wrote:

For what it's worth, my best experience has been with the SanDisk brand and Class 4.  I have a 16 GB card which I use and it works great.  I've heard of others using Transend 8 GB Class 6 cards also.  Also, the 16 GB Sandisk Class 4's are on sale currently at Radio Shack for $24.99.

Thanks!

Are you sure that the 16GB card on sale at RS is Class 4? The image in the sale flyer shows only a generic card with no size or Class markings, but when I search the Web site for "micro sd" I see an image of a Class 2 card. And does the Class really matter?

Inspired Contributor
snickersfl
0 Kudos

I'm also interested in a SD card because my storage space on the Nook is going down.  Probably because of the Apps and magazines.  I have some questions about using an SD card.

Can you put a Nook Book on the SD card?

Can you put a side-loaded book on the SD card?

Can you read the side-loaded book while it is on the SD card?

What about apps?

Inspired Correspondent
Science_man
0 Kudos

I recently purchased this 32 GB , class 4 card, from new egg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211535&cm_re=micro_sd_32gb-_-20-211-535-_-P...    for just over $60

I originally was going to get a Sandisk card from Amazon, but Sandisk doesnot rate their card classes, so it's a coin toss whether you'll get a class 2 or 4 - they package whatever they manufacture at the time.   I wanted to make sure I was getting what I was paying for.

Correspondent
IzzysNook
0 Kudos

suvlady wrote:

Thanks!

Amazon has a good price on the Transcend 32GB Class 6 -- $50 with free shipping.  I ordered one as a spare, mainly because it got great reviews and also I really like Amazon's CS.  I have a Sandisk in the NC now and it's worked great.

Frequent Contributor
HighseasPirate
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

DO NOT BUY THAT CARD.

It is not a microSDHC.  That is a standard SD card.  Most microSD cards will run $20-45 for a 16GB and $60+ for 32GB.  Make sure your search is for microSDHC.  That did show up under their microSD search, but it is not a micro.  Be careful.  The search function is not the best.  Brands such as Sandisk, Kingston, Crucial, Patriot, Transcend, and PNY are among the most well known.

The higher the class number the quicker in read/write speed technically, but you will be paying more for no reason.  For reading and probably most video a class 2 is fine.  I have a Patriot 16GB class 4 and it runs video fine.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220524

You also may want to find one that has an adapter with it so you can use it with other devices if necessary.

Good hunting!

Frequent Contributor
HighseasPirate
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

IzzysNook wrote:
Amazon has a good price on the Transcend 32GB Class 6 -- $50 with free shipping.  I ordered one as a spare, mainly because it got great reviews and also I really like Amazon's CS.  I have a Sandisk in the NC now and it's worked great.

If that Transcend is this card: http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Class-Flash-Memory-TS32GSDHC6/dp/B001PLIG68/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics...

it too is a standard SD card and not a microSDHC

People, please be careful ordering these cards.  It can be confusing.  Make absolutely sure that it is a microSDHC.  One way to tell the difference is by shape:

One is slightly rectangular with a small angle on one corner(Standard SD) and

the other has two notches on one side separated by what looks like a shark fin(microSDHC). 

Of course the microSDHC is a lot smaller, about the size of a dime

I hope you can cancel or send it back unless you need it for something else.

Correspondent
IzzysNook
0 Kudos

HighseasPirate wrote:

DO NOT BUY THAT CARD

Which card?

Frequent Contributor
HighseasPirate
0 Kudos

Sorry.  This card is the one I was referring to.

I think it was the 3rd post down.