Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

Re: microsoft buying nook

Well, as far as the HD goes, I have over 1000 ebooks (of which I've read 950; 300 were purchased on N1, and about 700 were purchased on the NC,NT and HD tablets), plus over 350 movies on mine.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
DeanGibson
Topics: 93
Kudos: 2,273
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

BruceMcF wrote:

Obviously as Gingerbread (2.3) drops below 50% of distributions and Froyo (2.2) and earlier below 10%, its going to be more common for Froyo-incompatible apps to be introduced, but that would be true of any Froyo based device.

Yep, but ...

In addtion to a Nook Color running Android v2.3 (rooted and running Google Play), I have the original Motorola Droid (3.5 years old) running Android v2.2.  On the Droid, in the past month:

1. The Google Play app has been updated and modernized to match that on my Android 4.x devices.
  2. Google Earth just updated to the most recent version, 7.1.1. †

Lesson:  they still want our business.

† My problem with the original Droid is not software incompatibility, but app space on the device (yes, I've moved all the apps I can to the 16GB SD card).  After upgrading to the most recent version of Google Earth, I had to delete several apps before it would run;  there's not enough space for the few apps I have.  Remember the original Nook Color before partitioning?

Then of course, the device is now ghastly slow.

Nooks: 2 Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted;
    2 HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 (Android 4.0.4) rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G3 & G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2 rooted; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Contributor
tendoboy1984
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
These aren't rumors. Tech Crunch got this news from a Microsoft document. Microsoft wants to buy the Nook division (Nook Media), as the company moves away from hardware towards software distribution. If the Nook hardware is discontinued, it looks like Amazon wins.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

tendoboy1984 wrote:
These aren't rumors. Tech Crunch got this news from a Microsoft document. Microsoft wants to buy the Nook division (Nook Media), as the company moves away from hardware towards software distribution. If the Nook hardware is discontinued, it looks like Amazon wins.

Right, but just because MS made an offer does not mean there is an actual deal in the works.

It's like this, I offer you 500,000 for your house, it doesn't mean you're selling your house.  It means I'm offering you money for your house.

The rumor is that B&N is selling and to MS because of the document. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

Can we get 5,000 posts about the 'demise of the eink Nook' then, so B&N releases one this Spring?

And I'll say this, I see people with all the various Nooks, going back to the N1E and up to the HD+ 32gb.  Most of the time the folks with the eink Nooks have more ebooks.  The tablet crowd has a handful of apps and some books.  Haven't really seen anyone with a lot of videos on their HDs but I've only seen a few people with them (for trouble shooting) and some of them were repeats. 

For a long time the NC/NT trouble shooters pretty much had a book or two and the bible.  Actually the bible has been a far and away winner for ebook I've seen on those devices to date.  It's also the ebook that has the most issues because publishers see easy money and throw together a really cheap ebook. 

well...most e-ink owners aren't going to have apps, because that's not what they bought it for. They bought it to read with.

Non-readers buy tablets because they have no use for an e-ink reader and since they don't read much, they don't own many books. However, there are lots of readers (like me) who use tablets because they cover more needs than an e-ink reader does and these days, that's often a economical factor. And some of us readers have both.

I had almost 3000 nookbooks and 2000 sideloaded books on my NC. I now have more books, several craft books and magazines and about 100 pdf files on my HD+. I have few apps unless they have to do with reading though I do watch instructional videos on myy HD+. I find having my HD+ set up on a stand over my computer as I'm taking classes on it, is excellant as it allows me to work in tandem on my computer along with the class. I also find the larger screen in color is a wonderful way to keep my reference books handy and I LOVE viewing them on my HD+. Besides, my reference library had already taken up two bookcases and I was running out of room. I won't be able to get them all into ebook form but have started buying them in digital form just to have them handy on my device and not taking up physical space in my studio.  I do have a few games, but find I rarely play them because I never run out of reading material anymore. Because my HD+ device holds a ton more books than my eink device ever did. Yeah!!!

roustabout
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

'just because MS made an offer does not mean there is an actual deal in the works'

true, but two things emerged today:

ms staff confirmed to the ny times that the docs are real

the deal values bn as a whole at ~27/share.

this puts great pressure on bn to accept - investors won't likely have a better offer than this, if it's still live.  if it's withdrawn, cue the lawsuits.

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,980
0 Kudos

More to the point, William Lynch and co get big bonuses if they successfully spin off the NOOK division (and he gets to go along instead of having to go down with the ship like the rest of us stuck at BN), so it's pretty safe to say this is a done deal.

keriflur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

flyingtoastr wrote:

More to the point, William Lynch and co get big bonuses if they successfully spin off the NOOK division (and he gets to go along instead of having to go down with the ship like the rest of us stuck at BN), so it's pretty safe to say this is a done deal.

If I understand correctly, Nook Media is the nook business, the entire ebook business, and the college business.  So... that leaves B&N with the stores and the online DTB business only, right?  No digital at all?

What's the long term viability of the company if this deal goes through?

Contributor
tendoboy1984
0 Kudos

Either way, B&N is going to quit their tablet business eventually. Adding Google Play to the Nook HD seems like a wasted effort.
flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,980

keriflur wrote:

If I understand correctly, Nook Media is the nook business, the entire ebook business, and the college business.  So... that leaves B&N with the stores and the online DTB business only, right?  No digital at all?

There isn't any. There will be a decade or so of secular decline as BN continues to lose customers to online and ebooks. After then, what's left of the company will probably again be carved up and sold piecemeal to other conglomerates.

BN without NOOK is dead, just as NOOK without BN is at best a marginal player. But BN's management has never believed in synergy.

DeanGibson
Topics: 93
Kudos: 2,273
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

At one point Microsoft considered acquiring B&N's physical stores.

Nooks: 2 Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted;
    2 HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 (Android 4.0.4) rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G3 & G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2 rooted; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Contributor
tendoboy1984
0 Kudos

Then why would B&N even consider selling the Nook to Microsoft if they can't survive without the eBook business? They should tell Microsoft to **bleep** off.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

I think B&N can survive without Nook. But they would have to switch to something other than books. So you'd see a lot of different things.

Perhaps B&N becomes Julie Central with lots of stuff for kids.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

5ivedom wrote:

I think B&N can survive without Nook. But they would have to switch to something other than books. So you'd see a lot of different things.

Perhaps B&N becomes Julie Central with lots of stuff for kids.

I think you may need to take a trip to a B&N.... it's already happening and has been for about three years now.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

If I understand correctly, Nook Media is the nook business, the entire ebook business, and the college business.

It doesn't include the e-book business. That's still part of BN.com. B&N would still be the e-book store for NOOKs if NOOK Media gets sold.

Contributor
tendoboy1984
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

So if B&N does sell the Nook division, then they're left without an alternative to physical books. If they keep the Nook division, then they're holding onto a product that isn't selling.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Distinguished Scribe
luvbooksCM
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I don't really have anything profound to add to this thread other than the fact that I will be sad to see Nook hardware come to an end if, in fact, this is what happens.

I love my N1E 3g (which still works)...even though it was a bit controversial when it first came out, being as it  *ahem* closely resemebled Spring Design's "Alex"....and to their credit, B&N was the first to release the Nook color as an ereader tablet (closely followed by Amazon's Fire), BUT, B&N was there first recognizing that people wanted to see their books/mags in color, read in the dark, and have a few tablet functions, all in a distinguishing design. Then, of course, the Nook Glow was introduced before Amazon's Paperwhite......and finally the Nook HD which has a beautiful screen and can actually be read outdoors much easier than other tablets. Not to mention the beautiful user interface which is much more graceful & eye appealing than the Fire. Plus, I love the bezel design. Gives it character and easier to hold. Sets it apart from the crowd. You can always tell when someone is holding a nook as opposed to a black slab that I can't tell one from the other without looking for a name on the device.

Can you tell I'm such a Nookie?

Yup. I'll miss the hardware if it goes out of production.

Maybe I should snap up another one as a back up! At $149, it's sure tempting.....

keriflur
0 Kudos

Doug_Pardee wrote:

keriflur wrote:

If I understand correctly, Nook Media is the nook business, the entire ebook business, and the college business.

It doesn't include the e-book business. That's still part of BN.com. B&N would still be the e-book store for NOOKs if NOOK Media gets sold.

Ahh, good.  I'd thought that, but the article in the Community Room stated ebooks were part of Nook Media.  I can see a future for B&N if they're still selling ebooks.

roustabout

Honestly, if the ebook business is not included, I have no idea what Microsoft is paying 1B for.  

Wtihout ebooks, wouldn't it just be

- Nook hardware (net money loser and the bleeding will likely get worse whoever runs it, even if it 

is the maker of the world-famous Zune music player

- college bookstores 

What else?  Seriously, without ebooks, what's the billion paying for?  

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Distinguished Correspondent
Sandikal
0 Kudos

One thing I have found really interesting with the latest Nook HD/HD+ upgrade is that I can know have a Kindle or Kobo app on my Nook in addition to the Overdrive app that I already had and the Google Play Books app that automatically downloaded with the update.  Without getting a smartphone or Kindle Fire or whatever, I'm now able to use the Whispersync that Amazon/Audible now offer.  As a voracious audiobook listener, I think this is pretty darned cool, even if the Nook is too clunk to carry around while listening to audio.

The ability to have all these reading apps on my Nook makes me wonder what B&N has in mind for their e-book segment.