New User
jkp13
0 Kudos

microsoft buying nook

What will it mean for my nook color and nook hd+ content if nooks are discontined by the end of 2014 as is being reported today?

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: microsoft buying nook

jkp13 wrote:

What will it mean for my nook color and nook hd+ content if nooks are discontined by the end of 2014 as is being reported today?

Absolutely nothing.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

they won't quit working, your content won't disappear. It will be just the same. Besides, it's not Nook being sold, it's Nook Media. Everything else is speculation at this point and speculation is not always correct.

roustabout
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

"they won't quit working, your content won't disappear."

Probably.  I do expect that MS will at least try to maintain the data.  This is more than I can say for Google, who I would expect to see killing the project a year or two after buying the Nook division, if they felt they needed a boutique line of low-spec hardware for long enough to do the purchase, then experienced a change of direction a few minutes after trying to integrate Google+ with the Nook shopping experience.

Probably the Nook business will continue to support the old BN android clients.  And probably stuff you bought will still be tied to your account.  

However, I would not expect Nook accounts to be front-of-mind for BN the day the authentication back-end for something else gets hammered and the Nook accounts are impacted

http://redmondmag.com/articles/2013/02/23/windows-azure-restored-after-worldwide-outage.aspx

Nor do I have a lot of confidence that MS will professionally maintain the infrastructure around the legacy BN accounts, or necessarily understand either it or the customer expectations. 

MS has, in the past, thrashed data from acquired companies.  

http://blogs.computerworld.com/14894/danger_microsoft_loses_t_mobile_sidekick_hiptop_users_data

I've said it before, I'll say it again: back up your epub data locally.  Manage your own DRM.  Don't trust BN or MS or Google or Amazon to take care of it for you.  

http://nookworks.blogspot.com/2011/09/information-security-and-digital-rights.html

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

yep, I back up everything!! Even now, books have become unavailable for download if you haven't done it already.

keriflur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

compulsivereaderTX wrote:

they won't quit working, your content won't disappear. It will be just the same. Besides, it's not Nook being sold, it's Nook Media. Everything else is speculation at this point and speculation is not always correct.

Unless something new has been announced, even the sale of Nook Media is speculation.  The article that's been circulating is working on a rumor, no sale has been formally announced.

Wordsmith
BruceMcF

jkp13 wrote:

If it means anything, it would likely be an expansion of Nook Video content as the licensing is merged with the buying power of XBox Live.

And yes, that is on top of 'as reported today' is speculation, not a confirmed buyout, so any consequences of that speculated-about buyout, such as the discontinuation of the Nook line at the end of 2014, are speculation-squared ~ the buyout may never happen, and if it does, the speculation about its consequences could be dead wrong.

Contributor
tendoboy1984
0 Kudos

I was really considering buying a Nook HD for the Google Play access and quality hardware. But with this news I am having second thoughts. Why buy a Nook if they're bring discontinued in a year? I always had a hunch that Microsoft would want to buy the Nook division, but how would B&N survive without eBooks? The Google Play deal makes things even stranger, since Microsoft has an investment in Nook Media, not Google.
keriflur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

tendoboy1984 wrote:
I was really considering buying a Nook HD for the Google Play access and quality hardware. But with this news I am having second thoughts. Why buy a Nook if they're bring discontinued in a year? I always had a hunch that Microsoft would want to buy the Nook division, but how would B&N survive without eBooks? The Google Play deal makes things even stranger, since Microsoft has an investment in Nook Media, not Google.

Again, there is no news, only rumor and speculation on rumor.

And unless I missed something, there is nothing in the announcement that states that ebook sales would be discontinued.  Actually, I read it as the opposite - focus would shift to app developement to increase sales of ebooks on third-party tablets.

In the press release about the addition of Google Play, B&N stated that they were adding Google Play to help clear out their stock of current devices.  I didn't see anything in the article to indicate long term plans of building devices with Play Store access.

ETA:  On re-read, I see that you may be asking how will B&N survive if they sell their entire ebook business to MS.  That I do not know.  It doesn't seem very forward-looking does it?  But then, the deal is only a rumor right now.

Contributor
tendoboy1984
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
So the addition of Google Play was just to clear out unsold inventory, not a long term plan for success? What a waste of resources. Google Play should be standard on all future Nook tablets. If this "news" is true, then I'll just buy a Nexus 7 to get full Google Play access.
roustabout

"long term plan for success"

At BN?

Surely, you jest.  

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

roustabout wrote:

"long term plan for success"

At BN?

Surely, you jest.  

I know I chortled.  Long term really seems to be 'until the next sales holiday'. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
keriflur
0 Kudos

tendoboy1984 wrote:
Google Play should be standard on all future Nook tablets.

You assume there are going to be future nook tablets.  That's been a point of speculation since B&N announced that they were going to shift their focus away from hardware.  It's possible the HDs are the last of the LCD nooks.

Contributor
tendoboy1984
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
But why would B&N go through the trouble to get their Nook HD tablets certified for Google Play if it's just to clear out unsold stock? If B&N gives up and exits the tablet market, then they'd be handing victory over to Amazon, Apple, and Google (Nexus).
Wordsmith
BruceMcF

tendoboy1984 wrote:

Lord, what electronic device would you ever buy if you insist on a guarantee that that model won't be replaced / superceded by something newer in two year's time?

Its not as if it will become unusable when they stop selling it ~ heck, my Nook Color is now a number of months past its EOL, and is still compatible with all books and manga B&N sells, as well as having new compatible Nook apps introduced after it was retired. Obviously as Gingerbread (2.3) drops below 50% of distributions and Froyo (2.2) and earlier below 10%, its going to be more common for Froyo-incompatible apps to be introduced, but that would be true of any Froyo based device.

With the PlayStore on the HD's, you don't need to root the thing to have a good low-end tablet as well as a good ereader, and the Android 4.x system is going to be supported by apps in the Play store for quite a long time ... indeed, you'll have access to the broadest single Android app store plus the family-friendly multiple account B&N skin even if Nook closes the Nook apps store down.

roustabout
0 Kudos

"why would B&N go through the trouble to get their Nook HD tablets certified for Google Play"

We don't know who opened the courtship.  The current speculation is that MS wants Nook;  I have seen it suggested on more than one occasion that Google would do well to buy the Nook division and insist that they get to keep a Google chunk of sales floor in the retail outlets, the footage currently allocated for Nook.

My experience with Google suggests that is wishful thinking - I don't think Google cares much about interacting with individual consumers.

But lets assume BN opened the courtship.  What's in it for them is a chance to sell off their apparently rather large supply of Nook HD+ and HD models which just weren't selling.  Yes, selling them at a loss, but at some point, someone in the room says "Concorde fallacy," and the MBAs ought to stop what they're doing and pay attention.  

Wordsmith
BruceMcF

[ Edited ]

roustabout wrote:

But lets assume BN opened the courtship.  What's in it for them is a chance to sell off their apparently rather large supply of Nook HD+ and HD models which just weren't selling.  Yes, selling them at a loss, but at some point, someone in the room says "Concorde fallacy," and the MBAs ought to stop what they're doing and pay attention.  

And, after all, its an open question how much of a loss they are selling them at or whether they actually are selling them at a loss. The whole point of the Nook line was originally to help B&N to sell ebooks. With Nook Video, that's not been changed, but rather expanded, to help sell ebooks and digital video media. They don't do that job sitting in the warehouse. So just as a car dealer has to consider the interest cost of financing the cars on their lot when they decide whether to have an aggressive sale, B&N has to consider the opportunity cost of lost ebook and media sales for every month that an HD or HD+ sits in the warehouse.

And as I've argued before, the area of general tablet design is catching up to the needs of a media tablet like the Nook tablets ... so there's every reason to expect that if B&N wanted a "Nook" for the 2014 Christmas season, it could just do a survey of the hardware coming out in for the season and say "we'd like that one, thanks". Let somebody else carry the hardware risk, and pick the best hardware.

This seems very much like a case of doing the right thing, but only after exhausting the alternatives. For those comfortable with being trapped in a captive garden, Apple and Amazon have captive gardens that are bigger than anything B&N can hope to catch up with. So being more open than Apple and Amazon is the play they have always had the inside track on. If they stop fighting against the market position where they have the inside track, and instead try to work with it, things may actually end up for the best ... even if they were forced into that effort by lack of any other alternative.

roustabout
0 Kudos

Bruce makes a lot of really interesting points.

The only thing I'd add is that BN knows how much income each Nook of each model type has brought in to date.  The hardware may be going at an up-front loss but may well bring in a net profit by July or so on average - we don't know, and BN does, so long as the usage patterns of the newly bought Nooks is similar to that of the nooks already in the field. 

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

This discussion gets going about every 6 months as some new article comes out spelling out the doom of BN and the Nook line. Even when it was just the NE1 out, people were panicking about this. Yes, the possibility is always there, but the sky has not fallen yet. Until it actually does, there will be articles out convincing us and others that it's all over for BN but I'll wait until BN tells us that to worry about it,

From my seat, every article of "the demise of the Nook Line" has brought us a newer and better device.

We'll have to see where things go from here, might be great, might not be, but it hasn't happened yet.

Mercury_Glitch

compulsivereaderTX wrote:

This discussion gets going about every 6 months as some new article comes out spelling out the doom of BN and the Nook line. Even when it was just the NE1 out, people were panicking about this. Yes, the possibility is always there, but the sky has not fallen yet. Until it actually does, there will be articles out convincing us and others that it's all over for BN but I'll wait until BN tells us that to worry about it,

From my seat, every article of "the demise of the Nook Line" has brought us a newer and better device.

We'll have to see where things go from here, might be great, might not be, but it hasn't happened yet.

Can we get 5,000 posts about the 'demise of the eink Nook' then, so B&N releases one this Spring?

And I'll say this, I see people with all the various Nooks, going back to the N1E and up to the HD+ 32gb.  Most of the time the folks with the eink Nooks have more ebooks.  The tablet crowd has a handful of apps and some books.  Haven't really seen anyone with a lot of videos on their HDs but I've only seen a few people with them (for trouble shooting) and some of them were repeats. 

For a long time the NC/NT trouble shooters pretty much had a book or two and the bible.  Actually the bible has been a far and away winner for ebook I've seen on those devices to date.  It's also the ebook that has the most issues because publishers see easy money and throw together a really cheap ebook. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.