Inspired Contributor
pinnacle7
0 Kudos

more than just a light

[ Edited ]
According to cnet early review the nst glow light has some other differences it weighs less has the gray border and a better more responsive touch screen not from software from new hardware built in there a YouTube video search nook glowlight cnet also forgot has antiglare screen protector and AC USB cord
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: more than just a light

pinnacle7 wrote:
According to cnet early review the nst glow light has some other differences it weighs less has the gray border and a better more responsive touch screen not from software from new hardware built in there a YouTube video search nook glowlight cnet also forgot has antiglare screen protector and AC USB cord

Did you see anything that stated whether the screen protector or light layer affected the text sharpness?  Thanks.

Frequent Contributor
Loyd
0 Kudos

The Cnet reviewer is holding a Nook Glow outdoors, in the shade. You can see the screen in daylight so there's no chance that artificial lighting is enhancing the screen. It looks to me to be the same as the Nook STR.

The YouTube video is located here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dosj17Wotrw&feature=related

Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee
0 Kudos

Loyd wrote:

The Cnet reviewer is holding a Nook Glow outdoors, in the shade. You can see the screen in daylight so there's no chance that artificial lighting is enhancing the screen. It looks to me to be the same as the Nook STR.

Thanks for this!  I've got it on pre-order as I've gotten tired of constantly having to replace the batteries on my clip on light.   However,   I am hoping the screen protector is optional or that it can be removed.  I've tried screen protectors on my Nook before and I don't care for the way the screen looks with them.

keriflur
0 Kudos

mykoffee wrote:

Loyd wrote:

Thanks for this!  I've got it on pre-order as I've gotten tired of constantly having to replace the batteries on my clip on light.   However,   I am hoping the screen protector is optional or that it can be removed.  I've tried screen protectors on my Nook before and I don't care for the way the screen looks with them.

That's why I'm waiting to see this one in-store.  I'm really happy with my N2E, and I'd love to have this if it's all improvements (IMO, of course), but if there are any trade-offs at all, especially in the quality of the page text (again IMO), I probably won't get it.

Inspired Wordsmith
mykoffee
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

That's why I'm waiting to see this one in-store.  I'm really happy with my N2E, and I'd love to have this if it's all improvements (IMO, of course), but if there are any trade-offs at all, especially in the quality of the page text (again IMO), I probably won't get it.

I agree, if threre is any change at all in the quality of the page text it will be going right back!

Wordsmith
tmr4
0 Kudos

My interpretation was that the glowlight was the screen protector.
AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

tmr4 wrote:

How would a light protect the screen?

►Without order there is chaos◄
keriflur

AlanNJ wrote:

tmr4 wrote:

That was my interpretation also.  The way I understand it, there's a layer on top of the screen the effectively causes the light dispersion to be even across the surface of the unit.  This could, theoretically, work as a protector also, I would expect.

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

AlanNJ wrote:

tmr4 wrote:

That was my interpretation also.  The way I understand it, there's a layer on top of the screen the effectively causes the light dispersion to be even across the surface of the unit.  This could, theoretically, work as a protector also, I would expect.

Hmmm ... in theory the screen protector could act sort of like fiber optic tubing does in carrying the light evenly across the screen.  Some kind of polarization or microtexturing with preferential reflection toward the screen then?

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, The Heritage of Shannara, Lonely Planet: Melbourne & Victoria
AlanNJ
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

AlanNJ wrote:

tmr4 wrote:

So as long as I use this light my screen can sustain additional damage?  I hardly think so.

keriflur
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

keriflur wrote:

AlanNJ wrote:

tmr4 wrote:

So as long as I use this light my screen can sustain additional damage?  I hardly think so.

Wouldn't that be the other way around?  As long as you have the light (regardless of whether you use it), your screen is protected from additional damage.

AlanNJ
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

AlanNJ wrote:

keriflur wrote:

AlanNJ wrote:

tmr4 wrote:

Wouldn't that be the other way around?  As long as you have the light (regardless of whether you use it), your screen is protected from additional damage.

Isn't that what I said?  :smileywink:

keriflur
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

keriflur wrote:

AlanNJ wrote:

keriflur wrote:

AlanNJ wrote:

tmr4 wrote:

Isn't that what I said?  :smileywink:

Ahh, I read it the other way 'round - as in "this light could make my screen easier to damage."

Inspired Correspondent
SuperC142

[ Edited ]

I'm of the opinion that any sort of screen protector that is permanent is, by definition, the screen itself.  If you scratch a permanent screen protector, the screen will permanently appear to be scratched.  Can we buy a screen protector to protect our screen protector?  I'm just kidding about that last bit of course; I actually have no interest in having a screen protector.  I just wanted to illustrate the point that calling the "light disbursement layer" a "screen protector" is probably nothing more than just marketing nonsense.

roustabout
0 Kudos

"calling the "light disbursement layer" a "screen protector" is probably nothing more than just marketing nonsense."

It will be interesting to see what the new screen feels like and how tough it seems.  I gave in and preordered a couple of them, one for me, one for my girlfriend.  This means I will soon own at least two nice ereaders more than I need to own.

But in a screen surface that's designed to be a light carrier, scratches and gunk may indeed be much more annoying than on a passive surface, so I hope it is well made and that my homemade flip-style cover will fit it well.  Otherwise, off to the fabric store to buy more material :smileyhappy:

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Correspondent
SuperC142
0 Kudos

haha- well, I'm feeling cautiously optimistic (enough so that I was also willing to preorder, sight unseen).  Engadget says this:

"Really perceptive folks might also pick up on the screen, which feels slightly more textured. This is due to the anti-glare technology screen overlay B&N added to compensate for the differences in screen."

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/12/nook-simple-touch-with-glowlight-hands-on/

The way that's worded sure sounds like the change isn't a very big deal (i.e.: if you're "really perceptive" you "might" feel "slightly" more texture).  Also, I'm feeling even more optimistic due to a Consumer Reports article I discovered this morning:

"To create that even glow, B&N engineers told me, they had to insert an additional, light-diffusing layer into the screen of the new Nook. While such layers usually introduce compromises in sharpness and readability, the new Nook's type seemed to be as crisp as that of the regular Nook Touch—which is to say, it looked very good indeed to my eyes."

http://news.consumerreports.org/electronics/2012/04/barnes-noble-nook-with-glowlight.html

I noticed that more than a few people (myself included) expressed concern that this enhancement would affect readability.  So far, it seems this is not the case!  :-)

Wordsmith
Fred011
0 Kudos

SuperC142 wrote:

haha- well, I'm feeling cautiously optimistic (enough so that I was also willing to preorder, sight unseen).  Engadget says this:

"Really perceptive folks might also pick up on the screen, which feels slightly more textured. This is due to the anti-glare technology screen overlay B&N added to compensate for the differences in screen."

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/12/nook-simple-touch-with-glowlight-hands-on/

The way that's worded sure sounds like the change isn't a very big deal (i.e.: if you're "really perceptive" you "might" feel "slightly" more texture).  Also, I'm feeling even more optimistic due to a Consumer Reports article I discovered this morning:

"To create that even glow, B&N engineers told me, they had to insert an additional, light-diffusing layer into the screen of the new Nook. While such layers usually introduce compromises in sharpness and readability, the new Nook's type seemed to be as crisp as that of the regular Nook Touch—which is to say, it looked very good indeed to my eyes."

http://news.consumerreports.org/electronics/2012/04/barnes-noble-nook-with-glowlight.html

I noticed that more than a few people (myself included) expressed concern that this enhancement would affect readability.  So far, it seems this is not the case!  :-)

Time will tell. :smileyhappy:

keriflur
0 Kudos

Fred011 wrote:
Time will tell. :smileyhappy:

Orders are shipping and stores are getting demo units, so we may hear a lot more reviews (and get to see for ourselves) even earlier than next Tuesday.  :smileyhappy:

roustabout
0 Kudos

What orders have shipped?  Mine hasn't moved yet ,and I saw on the website something about "in time for Mother's Day" which is not the window I was hoping for.  (panting and drooling by the window.)

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.