Distinguished Correspondent
Reisnice
0 Kudos

Re: n2a vs. AndroidforNook

Yes, thanks for posting. The developer of the Movie Gallery app is also on from time to time, and is well respected. Most of the rants tend to be equal-opportunity (except for when BN took away sideloading.) Forums are an excellent means of getting your product known. I had never heard of it before the original question posted here, and am now seriously considering it over an n2a card. I've been so busy at my 'real' job (I'd hesitate to call it a 'day' job lately) that I haven't had time to even consider going the XDA route, although I did see that one group now has a 'final' alpha version posted. It's worth $10 for my time at the moment. I can play with building it myself later. Donating part of the profit is also a good touch. Good luck with it (and remember to notice your wife from time to time. They appreciate that, or so mine tells me...)
Contributor
perry0718
0 Kudos

BNColorTablet wrote:

Using a class 10 card will probably work, but you might actually see slower performance since simply put, the Android OS executes a bunch of small sized files vs. a large video file.  A SanDisk class 4 card performed better in tests for reading/writing small data clusters compared to other classes (and brands) of cards

Dean

Dean,

Great post, by the way.  Kudos to you for having business savvy that the majority of us don't have.

From my recent experience, downloading the CyanogenMod using instructions on liliputing.com, the 32GB Lexar Class 10 card I had didn't work properly, while the 8GB SanDisk Class 4 card I bought works flawlessly.  

I don't know if this will be useful information to you for your business, but I thought I'd pass it along.  If you hear of a way for Class 10's to work properly, please let me know.

Thanks,

Mark

Czechboy
0 Kudos

BNColorTablet wrote:

I was watching a streaming tv episode on my Nook Color last night from Fox.com (actually testing it for a potential customer).  It played fine on a class 4 card.  I used to Watch Netflix and Veetle (no time now) and they also worked well.  I have not actually stored any video on my card, but my guess is you would see better video playback on a class 10.  I can try it tonight on a class 4 and report back.  Any particular format?

Well, I use mp4 video for movies...

nook Tablet - Running CM7

"From the moon we're comedy, from the moon we're really quite a treat."
Contributor
BNColorTablet

[ Edited ]

Reisnice wrote:
Yes, thanks for posting. The developer of the Movie Gallery app is also on from time to time, and is well respected. Most of the rants tend to be equal-opportunity (except for when BN took away sideloading.) Forums are an excellent means of getting your product known. I had never heard of it before the original question posted here, and am now seriously considering it over an n2a card. I've been so busy at my 'real' job (I'd hesitate to call it a 'day' job lately) that I haven't had time to even consider going the XDA route, although I did see that one group now has a 'final' alpha version posted. It's worth $10 for my time at the moment. I can play with building it myself later. Donating part of the profit is also a good touch. Good luck with it (and remember to notice your wife from time to time. They appreciate that, or so mine tells me...)

The final Alpha version is what I am selling.

Right now the only thing saving my marriage is that my day job is active duty military and my family and I are separated by choice, until I retire this summer.  We decided it was best for the kids and everyone if they didn't uproot again for just a year and a half.  I see them once or twice a month, so we are doing okay.  I will move back home in a few months, and they have already pledged to support me and help with the business, so keeping my fingers crossed!

Dean

"AndroidForNook" will make your Nook a true Android tablet!
Contributor
BNColorTablet
0 Kudos

perry0718 wrote:

BNColorTablet wrote:

Using a class 10 card will probably work, but you might actually see slower performance since simply put, the Android OS executes a bunch of small sized files vs. a large video file.  A SanDisk class 4 card performed better in tests for reading/writing small data clusters compared to other classes (and brands) of cards

Dean

Dean,

Great post, by the way.  Kudos to you for having business savvy that the majority of us don't have.

From my recent experience, downloading the CyanogenMod using instructions on liliputing.com, the 32GB Lexar Class 10 card I had didn't work properly, while the 8GB SanDisk Class 4 card I bought works flawlessly.  

I don't know if this will be useful information to you for your business, but I thought I'd pass it along.  If you hear of a way for Class 10's to work properly, please let me know.

Thanks,

Mark

Mark, I repeatedly tell my customers who choose to download the image that SanDisk class 4 is the way to go.  Obviously, many already have some other type card and go with it anyway, with mixed results.  I almost don't even want to answer emails from people asking for help who are not using the SanDisk cards.  Another problem that occurs is people using the SD Adapters.  USB adapters  work fine, but some people don't have luck with the SD adapters. 

Dean

Contributor
BNColorTablet
0 Kudos

Czechboy wrote:

BNColorTablet wrote:

I was watching a streaming tv episode on my Nook Color last night from Fox.com (actually testing it for a potential customer).  It played fine on a class 4 card.  I used to Watch Netflix and Veetle (no time now) and they also worked well.  I have not actually stored any video on my card, but my guess is you would see better video playback on a class 10.  I can try it tonight on a class 4 and report back.  Any particular format?

I don't have any mp4 videos..i look for one to download and report back.

Dean

Frequent Contributor
ValGalinAZ
0 Kudos

I don't post often, but all NOOK talk aside.

I want to thank you for serving our country. You deserve KUDOS for that first and foremost.

Thank you!!  Val

Contributor
BNColorTablet
0 Kudos

ValGalinAZ wrote:

I don't post often, but all NOOK talk aside.

I want to thank you for serving our country. You deserve KUDOS for that first and foremost.

Thank you!!  Val

Val, thank you - that is very nice of you to say. 

Dean

Contributor
BNColorTablet
0 Kudos

Czechboy wrote:

BNColorTablet wrote:

Sorry, took me a couple days but I loaded a couple mp4 videos on the class 4 sdcard and they run flawlessly.  No skip, lag or audio/video sync issues. 

Dean

Czechboy
0 Kudos

BNColorTablet wrote:
Sorry, took me a couple days but I loaded a couple mp4 videos on the class 4 sdcard and they run flawlessly.  No skip, lag or audio/video sync issues. 

Dean

Thanks for all the effort Dean.  Glad to know it won't be an issue.  I plan on taking advantage of your service in the very near future for my daughter's NC and then for my NT.  It's also nice to know that I don't need a class 10 card for this.  The price of those is still out the roof (had to buy one for my digital video cam).

nook Tablet - Running CM7

"From the moon we're comedy, from the moon we're really quite a treat."
Frequent Contributor
ceeotters
0 Kudos

Sorry for being stupid, but is this saying that I can take my miniSd, load this image, and then be able to get Android apps?
Frequent Contributor
byter67

[ Edited ]

I just received my AndroidForNook card from Dean. I know next to nothing about Android, so had to rely upon him for the answers to many basic questions, and for his assistance in getting the Kindle eBook reader installed on my Nook Tablet. Dean was very patient in obliging me. I now have the Kindle reader up and running on my NT. Let me say that it is a little less refined than the Nook reader; no page enumeration for example, no font selection, and a few other flumaddidles, so I intend to read my digital books in B&N file format whenever possible, and will continue to buy most such books from B&N. However, at times a given digital book of interest is only available from Amazon, or there is a distinct price advantage from that quarter, so Amazon books will retain a certain percentage of my collective digital library.

I’m an elderly senior with zero interest in games, music, or videos, so can’t address how well those file types perform with the AFN card which Dean offers. I think the 7” format is a lousy form factor for a tablet, but an excellent one for reading digital books, and that is my primary interest in the NT. Switching between Android and Nook is a no-brainer. The Android screen icons are considerably smaller than those which appear on the Nook side of the device. I am looking into installing an app to correct that aspect of Android.

As I am mainly doing digital books, I bought the minimalist 8GB card. 3GB is consumed by the Android files leaving 5GB for personal storage. To me the $20 money expenditure seems well spent when considered against the time saved from doing repeated file conversions or using the legally questionable maneuver of removing DRM file protection. Having Dean’s responsive technical guidance is also a plus factor for me. More technically astute types can cut that conversion cost in half by purchasing just the Android files from Dean to download and install on a card of their own choosing.

Contributor
BNColorTablet
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

ceeotters wrote:
Sorry for being stupid, but is this saying that I can take my miniSd, load this image, and then be able to get Android apps?

That is correct!  :smileyhappy:

Scribe
Froide

[ Edited ]

BNColorTablet wrote:

As for the AndroidForNook cards, I am the owner of said website.  I debated posting on here because people should feel comfortable saying what they want, but at the same time, it bothers me that others will make assumptions and proclaim them as fact and report it that way.  So for better or worse, I will share my story, my philosophy and let everyone make up their own minds.

I am a technician by trade and the first thing I do when I get a new gadget is see what I can do to personalize it.  I have 7 Android tablets 2 Android phones and all but my wife’s (she won’t let me touch them L ) are rooted.  This business started right after Christmas just a few months ago.  I bought two refurbished Nook Colors (best value on the planet, IMO) one for her, one for me.  I went to XDA, promptly rooted mine and also made a couple bootable cards, one for her and one for me to test other android versions.  I had an extra 8 GB class 2 card and loaded it up and put it on Craigslist just basically to get rid of it.  I was overwhelmed with people who wanted it, which was really a shocker.  I ended up selling it to a guy hours away, and he convinced me to mail it to him and he paid me afterwards (talk about mutual trust….).  Anyway, that guy, who is now a friend, convinced me to start a website, claiming there were lots of people, including him, who tried in vain to make their own card and for one reason or other couldn’t get it to work. 

Prior to this, I was not aware of anyone selling the cards commercially, being of the opinion, “why would anyone sell something that is basically free”?  Well, anyway, he convinced me to give it a shot.  I started the website, got the free $70 Google Adwords promotional thing, and within an hour of my ads going live, I was receiving orders.   Wow, I thought I hit the jackpot!

From the beginning, I made a commitment to donate a portion of my sales to CyanogenMod and whoever is the developer for the versions I sell.  I’ve only been selling cards for a couple months, but have already donated more than once and the donations will continue to grow as the AFN business does.

I will tell you this:  For the last six weeks, my life has been nothing but this business.  I have a full-time day job, but outside that, I spend at least 9 hours a day putting orders together, answering emails, writing articles for the forum, calling customers, helping them with their problems, and trying to keep accurate records.  I don’t get to bed before 3 am sometimes, and I am up at 5:30 for my real job.   If I were working for someone else doing what I do, my employer would be imprisoned.  I make way less than minimum wage.

I have had many, many customers thank me for the product and service I am providing.  I made it clear on my website that anyone can do this on their own and even provide links to XDA and Cyanogen.  Even people more technically experienced than I am say they would rather pay the $10 and download my ready-made image to burn then sift through the muck at XDA to figure it out.  The cards I sell are cheaper than you would pay for one at the store, so it’s not like I’m making a killing on that.  I charge $10 for someone to mail in their card they already own and I will load it up for them (a popular service).  From the beginning, I provided customers with the tools and images to recover from a catastrophic card failure. 

About 3 weeks ago, a customer emailed me and asked why I didn’t offer the download for them to do themselves instead of mailing in the card.  It didn’t occur to me, but I thought why not?  Immediately, my sales in cards went way down, and the download option went through the roof.  I thought it would be a great relief, giving me back time to myself.  Just the opposite has happened.  As easy as the instructions are (I think) people still have problems for a myriad of reasons.  I have compiled a checklist for people to go through, but the forum is the LAST place anyone looks for answers.  If I actually advertised my phone number, it would never stop ringing.  I do call customers frequently, because I find it easier to just talk them through it than go back and forth in emails.

So, I think a few points in this diatribe are:  Easy peasy isn’t so easy for everyone, no matter how intelligent they are or how clearly procedures are written.  People see value in my products and service (individual support).  I am giving them time by sacrificing mine.   I am not a front man for the developers.  They probably think I am a sponge and just sucking the proverbial teet, waiting for them to release the next version of Android.  I haven’t talked to them, or received any angry emails either, and have not received a return of my donations, so I will continue doing what I am doing.  The last point I will make: it is obvious to me (if not you by now) that there are people who want an Android card but either don’t want to bother or can’t make it themselves.  If I, or others like me, don’t provide this service, how are they going to get one?

Dean

BNColorTablet/Dean:

Thanks so much for your fantastic service! I KNEW if I waited long enough that a crucial missing link - like Android For Nook - would arise to fill the void between the talented developers who post at sites like XDA and Liliputing (on one hand), and end-users seeking reasonably-priced, truly easy-peasy, low-risk ways to unlock the full potential of the Nook and keep up with ongoing developments (on the other). 

I heartily appreciate the facts that you have the savvy, patience, and generosity to:

1. Sift through and process the mountains of developments, alternatives, and caveats posted at XDA and Liliputing (sometimes in ways fully comprehensible only to, and safe to implement by, the tech-savvy),
  2. Work out the kinks,
  3. Provide accessible and affordable means for non-developers, non-rooters, and risk-averse others to benefit from the advances described in #1 and avoid the risks associated with #2, complete with straightforward, user-friendly instructions and tips, 
  4. Make ongoing bug-fixes and further advances available to your customers, at no further cost,
  5. Provide timely, responsive, courteous, actionable support in two ways: both directly and via the forums at your site,
  6. Offer a money-back guarantee (which models the high levels of integrity, trustworthiness, and customer-service focus that your competitors - and other vendors - should emulate), and finally
  7. Provide so much value for such little cost.

MasterCard should include Android For Nook services in its "Priceless" advertising campaign:

Cost of a 32G microSD card:  $24-$60

Value of Android For Nook dual-boot cards, updates, and tech support:  Priceless!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx
Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

byter67 wrote:

Thanks PJLLB for that info. Let me ask another question. Is it necessary to have a Google account in order to get the Kindle reading application installed on a Nook Tablet?

In addition to the Amazon market, the Kindle app is also at the 1mobile Android market and the Aproov Android market.

Contributor
BNColorTablet

Froide wrote:

BNColorTablet wrote:

As for the AndroidForNook cards, I am the owner of said website.  I debated posting on here because people should feel comfortable saying what they want, but at the same time, it bothers me that others will make assumptions and proclaim them as fact and report it that way.  So for better or worse, I will share my story, my philosophy and let everyone make up their own minds.

I am a technician by trade and the first thing I do when I get a new gadget is see what I can do to personalize it.  I have 7 Android tablets 2 Android phones and all but my wife’s (she won’t let me touch them L ) are rooted.  This business started right after Christmas just a few months ago.  I bought two refurbished Nook Colors (best value on the planet, IMO) one for her, one for me.  I went to XDA, promptly rooted mine and also made a couple bootable cards, one for her and one for me to test other android versions.  I had an extra 8 GB class 2 card and loaded it up and put it on Craigslist just basically to get rid of it.  I was overwhelmed with people who wanted it, which was really a shocker.  I ended up selling it to a guy hours away, and he convinced me to mail it to him and he paid me afterwards (talk about mutual trust….).  Anyway, that guy, who is now a friend, convinced me to start a website, claiming there were lots of people, including him, who tried in vain to make their own card and for one reason or other couldn’t get it to work. 

Prior to this, I was not aware of anyone selling the cards commercially, being of the opinion, “why would anyone sell something that is basically free”?  Well, anyway, he convinced me to give it a shot.  I started the website, got the free $70 Google Adwords promotional thing, and within an hour of my ads going live, I was receiving orders.   Wow, I thought I hit the jackpot!

From the beginning, I made a commitment to donate a portion of my sales to CyanogenMod and whoever is the developer for the versions I sell.  I’ve only been selling cards for a couple months, but have already donated more than once and the donations will continue to grow as the AFN business does.

I will tell you this:  For the last six weeks, my life has been nothing but this business.  I have a full-time day job, but outside that, I spend at least 9 hours a day putting orders together, answering emails, writing articles for the forum, calling customers, helping them with their problems, and trying to keep accurate records.  I don’t get to bed before 3 am sometimes, and I am up at 5:30 for my real job.   If I were working for someone else doing what I do, my employer would be imprisoned.  I make way less than minimum wage.

I have had many, many customers thank me for the product and service I am providing.  I made it clear on my website that anyone can do this on their own and even provide links to XDA and Cyanogen.  Even people more technically experienced than I am say they would rather pay the $10 and download my ready-made image to burn then sift through the muck at XDA to figure it out.  The cards I sell are cheaper than you would pay for one at the store, so it’s not like I’m making a killing on that.  I charge $10 for someone to mail in their card they already own and I will load it up for them (a popular service).  From the beginning, I provided customers with the tools and images to recover from a catastrophic card failure. 

About 3 weeks ago, a customer emailed me and asked why I didn’t offer the download for them to do themselves instead of mailing in the card.  It didn’t occur to me, but I thought why not?  Immediately, my sales in cards went way down, and the download option went through the roof.  I thought it would be a great relief, giving me back time to myself.  Just the opposite has happened.  As easy as the instructions are (I think) people still have problems for a myriad of reasons.  I have compiled a checklist for people to go through, but the forum is the LAST place anyone looks for answers.  If I actually advertised my phone number, it would never stop ringing.  I do call customers frequently, because I find it easier to just talk them through it than go back and forth in emails.

So, I think a few points in this diatribe are:  Easy peasy isn’t so easy for everyone, no matter how intelligent they are or how clearly procedures are written.  People see value in my products and service (individual support).  I am giving them time by sacrificing mine.   I am not a front man for the developers.  They probably think I am a sponge and just sucking the proverbial teet, waiting for them to release the next version of Android.  I haven’t talked to them, or received any angry emails either, and have not received a return of my donations, so I will continue doing what I am doing.  The last point I will make: it is obvious to me (if not you by now) that there are people who want an Android card but either don’t want to bother or can’t make it themselves.  If I, or others like me, don’t provide this service, how are they going to get one?

Dean

BNColorTablet/Dean:

Thanks so much for your fantastic service! I KNEW if I waited long enough that a crucial missing link - like Android For Nook - would arise to fill the void between the talented developers who post at sites like XDA and Liliputing (on one hand), and end-users seeking reasonably-priced, truly easy-peasy, low-risk ways to unlock the full potential of the Nook and keep up with ongoing developments (on the other). 

I heartily appreciate the facts that you have the savvy, patience, and generosity to:

1. Sift through and process the mountains of developments, alternatives, and caveats posted at XDA and Liliputing (sometimes in ways fully comprehensible only to, and safe to implement by, the tech-savvy),
  2. Work out the kinks,
  3. Provide accessible and affordable means for non-developers, non-rooters, and risk-averse others to benefit from the advances described in #1 and avoid the risks associated with #2, complete with straightforward, user-friendly instructions and tips, 
  4. Make ongoing bug-fixes and further advances available to your customers, at no further cost,
  5. Provide timely, responsive, courteous, actionable support in two ways: both directly and via the forums at your site,
  6. Offer a money-back guarantee (which models the high levels of integrity, trustworthiness, and customer-service focus that your competitors - and other vendors - should emulate), and finally
  7. Provide so much value for such little cost.

MasterCard should include Android For Nook services in its "Priceless" advertising campaign:

Cost of a 32G microSD card:  $24-$60

Value of Android For Nook dual-boot cards, updates, and tech support:  Priceless!

Wow, Froide, thanks for the nice words.  If I had a marketing department (I don't) or if I could pay you (I can't) I would be banging on your door to hire you!

Dean

Correspondent
Grammaknits02
0 Kudos

Dean--

First and foremost, I too want to say THANK YOU for your service to our country.  I know you and your family are making a huge sacrifice for the millions of citizens in this country and our freedom.

I have one quick question...can I use the 16 gb card I already have that has books and movies on it, or do I need a blank card?  I want to download the android to nook program, but don't want to have to switch out cards when I want to read.  Most of my books are sideloaded onto my card.  Thank you for your help with this.

Reading Now:
Wrongful Death: The Aids Trial
by Stephan Davis
Wordsmith
PJLLB
0 Kudos

I already posted this in another thread, but it seems to make more sence to have it here.  It's slightly updated.

I recommend the Android for Nook card over the Nook to Android card.  I originally bought an N2A card for our first NT.  It worked okay, but video that worked fine when booted into native Nook was terrible, and it seemed "sluggish."  By the time I was ready to buy a card for our second NT, I had discovered Android for Nook.  I already had the media, so I simply payed $10 for the image and created my own bootable SD card (it's very simple with great instructions).  The Android for Nook OS version is newer than the Nook to Android version, and it works much better.  The video is flawless, and the card is "spiffy."  I just bought a second image of the right size (they come for different size SDs so be careful when you buy) and I built a card for my first NT because the Android for Nook card works so much better than the N2A card. I created an backup image of the old N2A card (just in case) but I'm really loving the Android for Nook image better.

Just my humble recommendation.  I am not associated with Android for Nook in any manner.

Contributor
BNColorTablet
0 Kudos

Grammaknits02 wrote:

Dean--

First and foremost, I too want to say THANK YOU for your service to our country.  I know you and your family are making a huge sacrifice for the millions of citizens in this country and our freedom.

I have one quick question...can I use the 16 gb card I already have that has books and movies on it, or do I need a blank card?  I want to download the android to nook program, but don't want to have to switch out cards when I want to read.  Most of my books are sideloaded onto my card.  Thank you for your help with this.

Thank you for the kind words, it is appreciated. 

You can use the same card, but it is a destructive load.  It will overwrite anything on your card, so you should copy any files you have that you want to keep onto your PC.

Dean

Contributor
BNColorTablet
0 Kudos

PJLLB wrote:

I already posted this in another thread, but it seems to make more sence to have it here.  It's slightly updated.

I recommend the Android for Nook card over the Nook to Android card.  I originally bought an N2A card for our first NT.  It worked okay, but video that worked fine when booted into native Nook was terrible, and it seemed "sluggish."  By the time I was ready to buy a card for our second NT, I had discovered Android for Nook.  I already had the media, so I simply payed $10 for the image and created my own bootable SD card (it's very simple with great instructions).  The Android for Nook OS version is newer than the Nook to Android version, and it works much better.  The video is flawless, and the card is "spiffy."  I just bought a second image of the right size (they come for different size SDs so be careful when you buy) and I built a card for my first NT because the Android for Nook card works so much better than the N2A card. I created an backup image of the old N2A card (just in case) but I'm really loving the Android for Nook image better.

Just my humble recommendation.  I am not associated with Android for Nook in any manner.

I am very glad you are pleased with your card.  My guess is that N2A gets their images from XDA also and if they haven't already updated to the latest version of CM7, they will soon.  The newer version has better video acceleration.  My point is, our products aren't any different, we just have a different business model.

Dean