Correspondent
ps56k
0 Kudos

Re: n2a vs. AndroidforNook

I noticed on the AFN website that the cards come with the option of three differnt OS selections. Could you expand onthis ?
Wordsmith
PJLLB
0 Kudos

ps56k wrote:
I noticed on the AFN website that the cards come with the option of three differnt OS selections. Could you expand onthis ?

There is a FAQ on the Android for Nook forum:  http://www.androidfornook.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=15.

Correspondent
ps56k
0 Kudos

tnx for the pointer and link -

---

CM7, Miui, Phiremod - What's the Difference? So you see that AndroidForNook is offering 3 different "flavors" of AndroidForNook micro SD cards: CyanogenMod 7, Miui.us ver 2.1.20, and Phiremod 7.1. Are they all that different? No, not really because they all are based on Android 2.3.7, or also known as "Gingerbread"........

(snip)   http://www.androidfornook.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=15.

Contributor
TaurusWriter
0 Kudos

For what it's worth, I just received my N2A card this morning.  

I'm pretty Tech-Savy, in that I can follow directions and probably could make my own card....but with my NC, I was always re-rooting with the updates, and I just wanted to avoid the hassle.

(I'm sure there will be hassles with this, too...just seemed like the best option at this point)

I was able to go to the Play store and download Google Earth--one of my fav's.

I can play my Nook-Purchased Angry Birds without rebooting....others are saying you have to reboot, but I didn't have to.

Unfortunately, I left my power cable at home, so I have to wait another 4 more hours before I can investigate further....but so far, so good.   :smileyvery-happy:

Frequent Contributor
kalmore

I prefer N2A over AFN. I bought both cards to test them out. On N2A The Video seems a little bit clearer and faster rather on AFN. And loading on N2A seems faster too than on AFN. This is just the results I got. They may vary.

Nook Reader (Tablet) - 4.1.2 SD (Unfunctional)

Wordsmith
PJLLB

[ Edited ]

kalmore wrote:

I prefer N2A over AFN. I bought both cards to test them out. On N2A The Video seems a little bit clearer and faster rather on AFN. And loading on N2A seems faster too than on AFN. This is just the results I got. They may vary.

My experience was just the opposite.  I even worked with N2A tech support and their suggestion was to down-convert the video.  I chucked the N2A card and re-imaged it as an AFN card because the video was great.

Distinguished Correspondent
EllenKeiff
0 Kudos

I just made my AFN card yesterday and I love it.  My only downfall is I have to boot with the cord, but I am going to try the solutions for that minor issue.  I am really never away from an available outlet so this is not a big issue for me if I never fix it.  I was so excited yesterday, I was playing scrabble with friends, and that drawing game too.  I also downloaded Kindle app so now I can price compare books and save some $.

Correspondent
ps56k
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

EllenKeiff wrote:

I just made my AFN card yesterday and I love it.  My only downfall is I have to boot with the cord,

You might indicate which Nook you have -
as there are 3 models involved, with different firmware solutions.

- Nook Color
- Nook Tablet 16GB
- Nook Tablet   8GB

EllenKeiff

[ Edited ]

ps56k wrote:

EllenKeiff wrote:

I just made my AFN card yesterday and I love it.  My only downfall is I have to boot with the cord,

You might indicate which Nook you have -
as there are 3 models involved, with different firmware solutions.

- Nook Color
- Nook Tablet 16GB
- Nook Tablet   8GB

Actually in this forum (Nook Tablet :smileyhappy:) there would only be 2 of which I have the Nook Tablet 16gb

Reader
michelleinaustin
0 Kudos

I just got my Nook Tablet, and just discovered the concept of being able to access more android functionality.  Few questions - will N2A or Android for Nook work with software 1.4.2?  Also, is there an app for accing the Amazon videos on demand?  Or is there another way to do that? 

Wordsmith
PJLLB
0 Kudos

michelleinaustin wrote:

I just got my Nook Tablet, and just discovered the concept of being able to access more android functionality.  Few questions - will N2A or Android for Nook work with software 1.4.2?  Also, is there an app for accing the Amazon videos on demand?  Or is there another way to do that? 

Yes, either will work with 1.4.2.  These cards allowing for booting to Android (CM7) or Nook native, and when you're in one you're not impacting the other.

Yes, you can play Amazon Instant Video on the Android side, but I understand that you have to temporarily disable root for Android (which is there by definition) with another app.  This is required because of digital rights management restrictions.

Contributor
sinatrafanRG
0 Kudos

Thank you for the story of how your business came to be; great post! I'll be looking forward to buying the sd card soon!

Correspondent
TelSC

kalmore wrote:

I also found just the opposite. AFN, beat's a relatives N2A card, in just about every way. Even with all things the same, AFN's tech support seals the deal. As a frequent poster over on AFN's website, I can tell you that Dean has even helped folks that never bought his card.. Try that over at N2A....oh, wait a minute, you can't even get to their support unless you buy their product.

Stop Calling It A Tablet
Wordsmith
PJLLB
0 Kudos

TelSC wrote:

kalmore wrote:

I also found just the opposite. AFN, beat's a relatives N2A card, in just about every way. Even with all things the same, AFN's tech support seals the deal. As a frequent poster over on AFN's website, I can tell you that Dean has even helped folks that never bought his card.. Try that over at N2A....oh, wait a minute, you can't even get to their support unless you buy their product.

+1 for me.  I bought both cards (may have posted that information elsewhere).  Loading time on AFN is faster than N2A.  Video on the N2A card was very choppy and unwatchable, both watching MP4 files and online (e.g. YouTube),.  I contacted N2A support and opened a ticket.  Their solution?  Try another player.  I tried every player available in the Google Play Store and the results were the same.  Their response?  Re-encode the video at a lower rate.   We can't help it.  So I bought the AFN download and the video worked perfectly in all video players, even with YouTube 1080p HD quality video.  I am able to monitor the N2A forum since I'm a customer, and the help they offer is trivial compared with what Dean at AFN offers.  So folks, for what it's work, you get much more than what you pay for with AFN versus N2A.  No contest.  I am not associated with AFN by the way, just a very happy customrer.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Froide
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

TelSC wrote:

kalmore wrote:

I want to second those observations about the high-quality AFN card, Dean's great customer service at AFN, and the contrasting experience at N2A.  I'd also like to add:  AFN offers a satisfaction guarantee and stands by it; those who download the software are entitled to one year of free upgrades, and downloaders can download as many of the available versions as they choose for up to 30 days from the originally purchased download, at no extra cost!  (Read these policies for yourself: http://androidfornook.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=38)  That's amazing, since the download only costs $9.99.  I'd thought I was just buying a download that had the kinks worked out of it, along with access to an expert who could assist me if needed; I had no idea until after making my purchase how priceless AFN's service would be.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx
New User
mlc34588
0 Kudos

Maybe my nook tablet has an issue, but not all apps will download.  in fact of late very few apps will download or function.  Also having issues with the nook and android feature locking up and refusing to complete the connection while using the internet.  I do not understand the Nook/android operating system so do not know how to look at the programs and see what might be causing this issue.  Maybe someone out there can assist. 

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

mlc34588 wrote:

Maybe my nook tablet has an issue, but not all apps will download.  in fact of late very few apps will download or function.  Also having issues with the nook and android feature locking up and refusing to complete the connection while using the internet.  I do not understand the Nook/android operating system so do not know how to look at the programs and see what might be causing this issue.  Maybe someone out there can assist. 

It could be that new apps require a newer android OS than you have on your tablet. There are apps that work on my HD+ but that do not work on my NC and vice versa because of the difference in android between the two and how the developer did the app. Just as there are Nook apps that are not compatible between the NC/NT and the HD devices. Nook apps will tell you what they are compatible with, android apps will usually tell you when you try to install if they are compatible or not.

If your device is locking up, you made need to update or reboot.

celandinehobbit
0 Kudos

I've had my N2A card for a few months now. I didn't want to spend the extra money for them to send me a already prepared card, so I went the other route with downloading it myself onto a spare 32gb card I already had. Cost me $19.99, I believe. Anyways, it works flawlessly. Downloaded perfectly and when I completely turn off my Nook HD+, take out my 32gb card I store my sideloaded books on, put in the N2A card, then turn my Nook back on, it boots up to a Jelly Bean Android experience. 

I'm already a heavy Android user so it just seemed the logical choice as I have many apps purchased in my Google Play account that I can now redownload and use on my Nook whenenver I want. So far, I've had no problems whatsoever. 

One thing to point out though.. Whatever apps you download will be stored on the N2A card. Not the Nook memory, so be sure to get a big enough N2A card to suffice for whatever apps you might want to use. 

Cheers!

Inspired Correspondent
MusicmanGG
0 Kudos

I just bought the Nook For Android Download - I picked up a Sandisk 32 gig card on sale and the installation was flawless.

I did find it interesting that Flixster will not play my videos - I get a message that it will not play on a rooted device.....   I wonder why..... 

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

CyanogenMod, used on both AFN and N2A, is rooted.