Inspired Contributor
pinnacle7

nook HD and HD + sale

Just came across this sale at staples nook HD 150.00 8gb 200.00 for hd+ 16gb not sure of the details check it out at staples.com hope it's not to late
Inspired Contributor
sflawguy1
0 Kudos

Re: nook HD and HD + sale

Wow, it is still there, I just checked. 

I need and love my HD for portability, but I'm almost tempted to get an HD + just to play around with.

Inspired Correspondent
Science_man
0 Kudos

$199 for nook HD+ is amazing.  A steal, really.   I purchased one from BN.com when they gave out the $20 gift card a few weeks back and thought that was a fair deal.   It's a great little tablet. 

Are the Nooks going on sale because they are not selling well?  

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Science Man, I think iPad Mini is really hurting Nook HD and Kindle Fire HD.

I've seen all the prices since Nook Color came out and I've never seen

1) Things like the $50 off offer on Kindle Fire HD and $50 off on another Kindle Fire, that happened in last 2-3 weeks.

2) The never ending $20 off offers and the one-time $25 gift card and other discounts on Nook HD and HD+.

So perhaps B&N and Amazon are seeing the impact of the $325 iPad Mini. There was also an article on Business insider that claimed iPad Mini was outselling iPad 2:1 and hurting Apple's profit margins.

Also, thanks for sharing this Pinnacle7. These are crazy prices.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,947
0 Kudos

I don't think these sales are in particular response to poor sales by any means, but rather an aggressive discounting policy BN went into this holiday season with the intent of doing. Perhaps they knew that this holiday season was going to be competitive and set out a plan to add discounts and incentives to build marketshare and take away the allure of some other models. And there's a very simple piece of evidence that lends this credence.

Signage.

It takes a fairly long time for a company the size of BN to design, print, and ship full sets of signage to all their locations. It's a long enough lag that these sales had to have been planned long in advance - long before there was enough sales data to determine if price reductions and promotions were needed to pick up the slack. It's for that simple reason it can be assumed that BN had already had a promotional plan in place.

It isn't a bad idea. Since this are long tail profit devices, BN can afford to run promotions to increase sales and take marketshare under the assumption that it will pay off over the long term. It's something that generic tablet makers (Asus, Acer, Samsung) can't afford to do, which is why this holiday season has really been between the four big content providers (Apple, Google, Amazon, and BN).

Distinguished Wordsmith
sygram
0 Kudos

They even have the simple touch and glow discounted a bit;

Simple Touch - $64

Glow - $94

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Thanks for the information FlyingToastr.

I do hope all companies do well.

It would be best for consumers if all 4 of iPad/iPad Mini, Nexus 7/10, Nook HD/HD+, Kindle Fire HD/HD+ did well enough and grew.