Frequent Contributor
Larryb52
0 Kudos

nook HD+ and nook HD

[ Edited ]

I liked the nook HD so much I bought the HD+ my question is when reading shouldn't the other tablet synch up with where I am when I open the other one? thanks

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
0 Kudos

Re: nook HD+ and nook HD

They *should.*  That being said, I find it to be hit or miss.  Sometimnes they do, sometimes they don't.  I have NST, NC & HD+.

Inspired Wordsmith
Swamprat
0 Kudos

I find it interesting that Hulu can sync my position in a video they didn't develop/sell between Android, Apple and Windows devices while B&N can't manage it for content and devices they sold or for wish lists on their own systems!

Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch

Swamprat wrote:

I find it interesting that Hulu can sync my position in a video they didn't develop/sell between Android, Apple and Windows devices while B&N can't manage it for content and devices they sold or for wish lists on their own systems!

The comparison with content isn't fair.  You have your ebook stored locally, and it will occasionally sync (or should) allowing for seemless reading on devices in wifi or with the N1E 3G with service. 

With hulu, you are using an app to access content on a server.  They simply flag that your account is accessing the content and then have a second flag for where you are in that content.  If you lose your connection unexpectedly or suddenly you may find the sync is actually behind where you were in the movie or show.

The wishlists are something that should sync on an account level, and the hulu comparison is apt in the regard. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Very good points.

Syncing book positions is a lot tougher. It should be done, but it's a tougher problem.

Syncing wishlists is more like syncing positions in Netflix or Hulu. Absolutely no idea why the lists are different.

Come to think of it, if you have WiFi off, then there is absolutely no way the 'Last Page REad' information could be sent to B&N's servers. Do you have WiFi off when you're reading?

Frequent Contributor
eaglewomanEP
0 Kudos

It seems to me that my NOOK color and my NOOK HD+ snyc when I turn on the wifi, but thats ok with me, I usually know about where I am anyway.

Inspired Wordsmith
Swamprat
0 Kudos

Hopefully, Roustabout can provide an authoritative answer, but it is my understanding that the free FBReader app available on Google Play can sync reading position across devices, so apparently it is possible. Frankly, I really don't care much about the sync of reading position since I use my NC (CM7 with FBReader) for ePubs and  my HD+ for PDFs.  I would like to be able to sync wish lists and find the whole app shopping process to be cumbersome at best - its very difficult to search for apps if you don't input the exact name and the basis for category assignments remains a mystery - why are lotto number generators and Ghost Radar considered "productivity" apps?

My main point was disappointment with the slow (glacial) response by B&N to known issues.  Perhaps Roustabout would also like to provide a summary of B&N's response to the issue of the absence of the landscape reading capability advertised for the NC (in case he doesn't, they simply removed reference to that capability from their advertising when he pointed out that it worked only for PDFs and not for ePubs as advertised.)  When they finally implemented it, many, including me, were disappointed that the only way to eliminate the double columns is to increase the font to a larger than optimum size. I, like others, have long been hoping for a night reading mode with a true black background and text colors other than white.  Absence of this option was the primary reason I abandoned the Nook OS for CM7 - it's available in FBReader and most other eReader software, including, I believe, the Nook for Android/iOS/windows apps.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Swamprat, you should try our Apps Buddy App to search for Apps.

1) There's a True Bestselling List as the first option.

2) There's a Latest Apps section.

3) You can drill in by category.

4) You can sort by highest review rating, or newest, or bestselling within any category.

5) There's a search that, in my opinion, works well enough to be useful.

Apps Buddy - App Deals, App Search, New...

Inspired Wordsmith
Swamprat
0 Kudos

5ivedom wrote:

Swamprat, you should try our Apps Buddy App to search for Apps.

1) There's a True Bestselling List as the first option.

2) There's a Latest Apps section.

3) You can drill in by category.

4) You can sort by highest review rating, or newest, or bestselling within any category.

5) There's a search that, in my opinion, works well enough to be useful.

Apps Buddy - App Deals, App Search, New...

I have (had already prior to your post) downloaded and looked at your App Buddy app and agree that it appears to be much better what he B&N offers (unfortunately, that is rather faint praise) and reinforces my point regarding B&N's glacial response to addressindefective shortcomings within their closed system. Unfortunately, my days of interest in the B&N App Store are numbered since I am trying to decide whether. to go the ADB route, root, or dual boot my HD+.

I do appreciate your contributions to both these boards and the App Store  - wish you had gotten here sooner!

roustabout

[ Edited ]

There are two kinds of synching to think about here: 

- synching reading position across Nook devices and Nook reader apps for content bought from BN.

This has always worked fairly well for me.

- synching reading positions across all your books across all your devices, regardless of vendor

The simplest way to do this today is by using Moon Reader Pro.  It leverages Dropbox to store reading positions and does not require root.  Once it has permission to use dropbox, it synchs periodically.  You can install it via ADB or by rooting the device or booting from a CM10 card and installing from the Play store. 

I prefer fbreader to Moon Reader, which is a little rougher around the edges than MR is. 

As of now, you need a second app, fbsync and root to synch position in fbreader.  fbsync is free, and I use Tasker (paid) to schedule synch because otherwise I have to remember to do it. 

No one, that I know of, has a way to do a third, wouldn't this be cool, type of synch:

All your books across all your devices regardless of which reader  you use.

You like the BN library app on the HD+, but prefer fbreader on the Galaxy?  Use your favorite per platform. 

As far as addressing features goes, I ws pretty vocal for about 9 months on these forums, with BN in mail, and in private messages to staff here and on the Nook for Android app team, arguing that yes, they had a duty to deliver landscape mode reading for all books.  It was advertised at launch and marketed to customers;  they needed to deliver it. 

During that time I also helped a couple of forum members here out by mailing them manual nooter discs and walking them through the process of rooting their Nook Colors and installing Aldiko, then using Aldiko to read their BN content. Also during that time, one way to address the lack of landscape mode reading was to change the feature description on the marketing material.  It was kind of like watching former Politburo members disappear from photos of prior May Day parades in Pravda, and worked every bit as well.  :smileyhappy:

I still don't understand how the decision was made to go for 2 page display in landscape mode, nor do I understand completely how it was controlled - the settings at which the device would drop into 2 page mode in landscape varied from book to book.

It was and is good that they delivered on it, finally - there are a lot of folks out there who actually needed it, and a lot of accessories were sold on the premise that it would be available.  My main use of the onboard reader these days is for magazines, when I haven't bothered to transfer them from my NSTG to the HD+ yet, because BN taught me not to wait for delivery but to get in there and fix it myself.  This is not unlike the repartitioning of the Nook Tablet to allow for more sideloaded content, though that ws done very rapidly in comparison.  I'm prepared to do things to my Nooks that relatively few customers are willing to, and when they're fixing problems baked in, customers shouldn't need to. 

However, one unsung and huge win in the HD and HD+ operating systems - which is actually a big reason I'm not using CM10 at this point - is the "article view" button in the stock web browser.  What that's actually doing is triggering a link to Readability, and the integraion is simple and bulletproof. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Wordsmith
Swamprat
0 Kudos

@Roustabout

Thanks for you input - as noted in my response above, I really don't care much about the sync of reading positions since I use my devices for different purposes.  I prefer reading epub files on my NC using FBReader and PDF's (and image intensive epubs) on my HD+ and don't really have a requirement for syncing between them.  I would like to be able to sync between my NC and my iPhone for those times when I'm caught without my NC and would like to continue reading something I started on the NC.

I was interested in your statement "I prefer fbreader to Moon Reader, which is a little rougher around the edges than MR is." - is this correct.  I started using FBReader based primarily on your recommendations in much earlier posts and wonder why you prefer it over Moon Reader if it is "rougher around the edges."

Thanks again for all of your posts and inputs!

Added Note:  Having just spell checked this post, it would be nice if the spell checker used in thes boards would recognize terms such as epub, HD, HD+, or allow you to add them to the dictionary.

Mercury_Glitch

Swamprat wrote:

Added Note:  Having just spell checked this post, it would be nice if the spell checker used in thes boards would recognize terms such as epub, HD, HD+, or allow you to add them to the dictionary.

Lets keep the software guys at B&N focused on the Nook issues.  :smileywink:

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
roustabout
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

sorry, mistyped - I find moon reader to be a little rougher than fbreader.  Moon shares with Aldiko an all-too-easy-to-trigger habit of building its own shelves by duplicating the library, IIRC. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Distinguished Scribe
Schwa

[ Edited ]

Larryb52 wrote:

I liked the nook HD so much I bought the HD+ my question is when reading shouldn't the other tablet synch up with where I am when I open the other one? thanks

As this thread has gone (slightly) off topic, I'd like to point out some observations to the OP:

The trick is to get the Nook and the app to actually "phone home"

1) Nook devices seem to "phone home" on some sort of schedule that I do not know the time frame

2) Nook devices "phone home" on a full startup (not waking)

3) Nook devices "phone home" when pressing Refresh or Sync in the Library

So, to be sure you save your place on one device, take the 5 seconds to press the refresh button before you switch to the other device.

Then, on the second Nook, upon a startup or pressing the Refresh button, your pages should be synced.

To take this further, the Nook App will "phone home" when pressing the Sync button in the app's Library

Hope this helps.

Contributor
danBOOKe

I have had zero problems with this.  A lot of people are forgetting some basics for the Nook honestly.  First whatever device you are reading on, make sure it is connected to the internet.  Once you come to a stopping point, make sure you bookmark where you are.  On all of the touch devices this can be done by quickly tapping the middle and a ribbon will appear in the upper right corner.  Tap this ribbon until it is a solid color, then exit your book.  Turn on your other device, make sure it is connected to the internet, and open the same book you were reading.  You should then get a message telling you that you are on another page on another device and be presented with the option of staying where you are or going to that last page you were on (from your other device).

Keep in mind this will only work for B&N downloaded content.  Fortunately I have never run into this problem by following the "internet on + bookmarking" method with any of the six different Nook devices I own, Android apps, or PC program.  Good luck to ya.

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
0 Kudos

In my experience, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.  I have not been able to establish a consistent pattern as to when I does and when it doesn't.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Schwa, DanBookE

Thank you. That makes sense. I think either will work/should work.

Syncing to be on the safe side sounds best. Adding a bookmark is a good thing - sooner or later that bookmark will sync.

Inspired Correspondent
mrskooshie
0 Kudos

I actually agree with Swamprat on the spellchecker (it is just a side note)
mrskooshie