Reply
New User
wls1122
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎04-09-2012
0 Kudos

nook simple touch screen problems

[ Edited ]

I received my first and only Nook - the simple touch for my birthday Aug of last year...so it is only 8 months old...it has been pampered and babied because it took me a lot of begging to get it!  so much to my surprise and shock the screen has totally messed up!  There are lines up and down it, frozen with the screen saver and white outs in the upper right corner.  I have tried to start it up again by rebooting and no such luck.  I can see somewhat through the background to see enough to power it completely off but cannot read a thing!  I didn't know if anyone else has had this problem or what i need to do!  I had been using it the day before with no problems and it was in a cover.  So totally clueless!

 

any help or suggestions appreciated!!

 

thanks

 

 

AlanNJ
Posts: 3,722
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
Registered: ‎03-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: nook simple touch screen problems

Try calling customer service.  1-800-the-nook

 

Let us know how you do.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Wordsmith
Melissa19
Posts: 243
Registered: ‎05-14-2010
0 Kudos

Re: nook simple touch screen problems

That's 1-800-the-book. If nook is within a month old it can be replaced with a new nook @ BN. After that it will be replaced with a certified pre-owned nook simple touch for up to a year after purchase. The extended warranty covers the second year.
Melissa19
Frequent Contributor
geertm
Posts: 1,193
Registered: ‎02-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: nook simple touch screen problems


wls1122 wrote:

I received my first and only Nook - the simple touch for my birthday Aug of last year...so it is only 8 months old...it has been pampered and babied because it took me a lot of begging to get it!  so much to my surprise and shock the screen has totally messed up!  There are lines up and down it, frozen with the screen saver and white outs in the upper right corner.  I have tried to start it up again by rebooting and no such luck.  I can see somewhat through the background to see enough to power it completely off but cannot read a thing!  I didn't know if anyone else has had this problem or what i need to do!  I had been using it the day before with no problems and it was in a cover.  So totally clueless!

 

any help or suggestions appreciated!!

 

thanks

 

 


Sounds like a broken e-ink screen.

Are you using a good cover? E-ink screens are made of glass, and very fragile.

AlanNJ
Posts: 3,722
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: nook simple touch screen problems


Melissa19 wrote:
That's 1-800-the-book. If nook is within a month old it can be replaced with a new nook @ BN. After that it will be replaced with a certified pre-owned nook simple touch for up to a year after purchase. The extended warranty covers the second year.

Oh man.  Brain f*rt.  Apologies.  :smileysad:

►Without order there is chaos◄
Contributor
Teufel75
Posts: 15
Registered: ‎11-05-2011
0 Kudos

Re: nook simple touch screen problems

You most definitely have a bad e-ink screen.  Sometimes this just happens with these screens and is not your fault at all.  Call 1-800-THE-BOOK and talk to Nook customer service.  If it was bought in August of last year, it will still be under warranty.  They will replace your Nook with a refurbished model either with in-store pick-up or ship one to you.

Contributor
wjmecca
Posts: 29
Registered: ‎08-07-2010
0 Kudos

Re: nook simple touch screen problems

Hello,

I've gone through different problems with the Nooks--first the original, and then the NST.  If you have your product replaced, DO NOT let them send you a refurbished unit.  You purchased a new one, and if it's faulty, you should receive a new one.  The first Nook I had--although I treated it gently--cracked on the faceplate.  Later, I learned that was a common problem with that model.  They sent me a refurbished unit, which didn't last long.  It just quit on me.  Then, thanks to this forum, I was sent a Simple Touch, because they were out of the originals.  After six weeks, that unit froze up.  There is a thread about that in this forum also.  Instead of going through the phone calls and the hassle associated with that, I used the chat feature on the B&N site.  It was much easier, and more satisfactory.  At first, I was sent a new charger plug & cord, and when that didn't work, I was sent a new unit.  Hope this helps--Good Luck!!

Wordsmith
KingAl
Posts: 549
Registered: ‎11-16-2010

Re: nook simple touch screen problems


wjmecca wrote:

Hello,

I've gone through different problems with the Nooks--first the original, and then the NST.  If you have your product replaced, DO NOT let them send you a refurbished unit.  You purchased a new one, and if it's faulty, you should receive a new one. 


 

Actually, a refurbished unit is likely to be MORE reliable than a new one, because it has been thoroughly tested. 

 

Distinguished Correspondent
msmoonlite
Posts: 175
Registered: ‎10-03-2010
0 Kudos

Re: nook simple touch screen problems


KingAl wrote:

wjmecca wrote:

Hello,

I've gone through different problems with the Nooks--first the original, and then the NST.  If you have your product replaced, DO NOT let them send you a refurbished unit.  You purchased a new one, and if it's faulty, you should receive a new one. 


 

Actually, a refurbished unit is likely to be MORE reliable than a new one, because it has been thoroughly tested. 

 


Not necesarrily, I've had bad experiences with refurb items (not Nooks) where the supposedly refurbed items had fingerprints on them or someone elses screensavers loaded on them. The best is when I got a refurb phone replacement that was clearly sold in another country since the phone was already programmed in another language.

 

OP, I had an issue with my N2E and I took it back to the store. They exchanged it no questions asked. You might want to try that first.

New User
jesz
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎03-24-2012
0 Kudos

Re: nook simple touch screen problems

Im currently having the same problem I got an original Nook last October and it broke so they sent me a touch screen one Iv had it for months and the screen just died I have NO IDEA what to do it was a gift it is my second Nook and Im not sure what to do considering Im not yet 18 and can't tell my parents!!! WHAT TO DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
Posts: 2,002
Registered: ‎01-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: nook simple touch screen problems


jesz wrote:

Im currently having the same problem I got an original Nook last October and it broke so they sent me a touch screen one Iv had it for months and the screen just died I have NO IDEA what to do it was a gift it is my second Nook and Im not sure what to do considering Im not yet 18 and can't tell my parents!!! WHAT TO DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


How long is month`s?

 

If it is less than 90 days it is still under warranty.

 

Call B&N and see what they will do for you.

 

New User
carolinettylxox
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎10-28-2012
0 Kudos

Re: nook simple touch screen problems

I am having the exact same problem, to be honest I'm pretty pissed...I want to use this nook for Hurricane Sandy but I can't!

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
Posts: 3,939
Registered: ‎01-01-2012
0 Kudos

Re: nook simple touch screen problems


carolinettylxox wrote:

I am having the exact same problem, to be honest I'm pretty pissed...I want to use this nook for Hurricane Sandy but I can't!


Which exact same problem? Is the display distorted, or just not responding to touch input? Does it wake up when you press the 'n' button on the front?

New User
smurf2501
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎04-28-2013
0 Kudos

Re: nook simple touch screen problems

that happened to me too! if you still have warranty on it you could get another one