Inspired Wordsmith
KidneyKid

please more adult apps and no more Berenstein Bears.

I know reading is important for kids but 14 berenstein bears app books?? That is a little crazy. Could we please get more apps to enhance what our Nooks can do and maybe some games like the angry bird expansions and scrabble or even monopoly or something. I was super excited when I saw we were up to 181 apps until I saw so many for kids again. Kids are not in the majority of Nook owners or probably users of the Nook either. We adults have the cash so please let us have something good to buy. Im becoming very tempted to pay someone to root my Nook just so it can be used to its full potential. Please fix this. And Sam if you see this please pass it on to the people deciding which apps get added. If people agree we need more adult apps please post a reply with what you want and your frustrations.
Inspired Correspondent
Rob_U
0 Kudos

Re: please more adult apps and no more Berenstein Bears.

I whole-heartedly agree! I have a 7year-old, and he gets almost no time with my NC. I didn't buy jt for him! It seems the more we asked for grown up apps, the more they give us kiddie apps. I know theses books are animated or whatever,but are they even really apps? Somebody please explain why the majority of apps are for kids. I have $25 in my nook account just for grown up apps - don't they want it? Don't they GET it?
Frequent Contributor
Ostracus
0 Kudos

*raises hand*

I like the Berenstein Bears.:smileyvery-happy:

Distinguished Correspondent
ukscone
0 Kudos

i'm all for kids reading, who wouldn't be? but if I see another kids book/app added before some adult apps such as an ssh client and a multiprotocol im app or even some word games then my nookcolor is likely to be defenistrated. Not really but that's the way i'm beginning to feel. It's almost as if B&N are taking the p***

Frequent Contributor
DJ_Boxer
0 Kudos

Re: please more adult apps

I agree, the only word-search app is directed towards kids.  There are ones that are for everyone but the first one they got I no longer use because of the limitation of the words and how many.  You also have to restart the word if you go over even one letter and can't just drag back.

Plus we need a way to read .rtf files.  These files are still used.

DJ

Contributor
SenorBlues
0 Kudos

Re: please more adult apps

Me also; very frustrated and dissapointed with how Barnes & Noble is positioning it's app store. 

I'm seriously considering rooting my NC; if B&N won't support it's adult user-base, then the only choice is to go to the hackers & rooters who are doing that.  I've been patiently waiting for B&N to step up to the plate, but there are no indications that they intend to.

I hope someone is listening. 

Frequent Contributor
sharsi
0 Kudos

I totally agree. I do believe most of the people who own Nook Color are adults. Why so many children's Apps. This is very disappointing. How many Berenstein Bears do you need? Shouldn't these books be in the book store?  We need some more adult Apps isn't anybody listening to us?

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,263
Solutions: 4

[ Edited ]

I very much want more adult-oriented apps in the shop.  To get them, I think we're going to have to wait until more developers are approved.  If you look in the shop, all of those child-oriented apps are being put out by the same few developers.  I assume that once developers is allowed to add an app to the B&N shop they can submit pretty much whatever additional apps they  want to with minimal approval (in comparison to what they initially have to go through).

Frequent Contributor
knit1cat2
0 Kudos

My opinion is the new device they are putting out soon should have been a kids version.since most of the "apps" they are releasing are geared that way!!! We adults also love our nc's and would love more adult geared apps. As it stands now all we can do now is hope and pray that our requests are heard loud and clear.
Contributor
bookgirlJJ
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

*moved elsewhere* - I didn't realize there is no way to delete this whole post.

New User
DesignGirlDP
0 Kudos

I agree!  Ever try Words with Friends?  It's a great scrabble-like app.  I am hoping it comes by way of NC soon.

Contributor
tekman
0 Kudos

I agree 100%

It would also make sense to split out the "true" apps from the enhanced Ebooks into 2 separate categories within the NC Shop.

This would make it easier to find both true apps, and the Enhanced Ebooks.

Frequent Contributor
knit1cat2
0 Kudos

I absolutely LOVE WWF!!! It would look AWESOME on this big screen!!!
Contributor
AgileFusion
0 Kudos

Thanks for raising this topic.

Do you have any recommendations on what type of adult apps would you like to see?

Contributor
Blade21292
0 Kudos

A photo gallery that allows you to sort?

For that matter, ANY sort of file management app.

A web browser that doesn't scroll away from the "back" button and is compatible with gmail, google's callendar and google's rss feed reader.

A feed reader that recognizes RSS feeds that you have already read

An app that allows me to cut and paste across different apps.  That way, when I'm reading something in the web browser, I could actually make use of the evernote app.

Just about everything else I've seen asked for on these forums, I do and will continue to do from my phone.  It's not like I'm going to be standing in a check out line and whip out my Nook Color to check my facebook or twitter messages. It's the same reason I can't justify buying an I-pad.  All the things they brag about being able to do are much more convenient from my phone.

I don't want to turn this thing into an I-pad. I don't want to "root" it.  I simply want the advertised features to work, or apps that work better. I want the machine I was promised by the B&N staff and advertising.

Contributor
X-avierTechie
0 Kudos

I agree with the prevailing sentament...NO MORE KIDDIE APPS. Now that I have gotten that off my chest lets talk shop. The bottom line is that whatever apps  that the B&N folks decide to put out from now on should focus more specifically on Nook app features. Apps designed for a tablet NOT a phone. Apps that enhance your reading experience. Apps that would allow Nook Color to stand out from it's competitors in the tablet/e-reader market. Let's face it, the Nook store will never compete with the I-Pad store in the amount of apps offered. However, the quality of apps that will differentiate it in the market place will come from making APPS that enhance the reading experience. We need adult games and e-reader friendly APPS. Got it B&N!!! ?Otherwise , keep up the improvements and let's go to another level with my fav gadget.   

Inspired Correspondent
Rob_U
0 Kudos

I would like to have Power Amp, it's an mp3 player with 7-band EQ and gain controls. I've listened to it on a rooted NC, and it you can actually get Bass response from a NC when using it. There's no need to use an external headphone amp with this app. If they would just add it to the shop, i would buy it.
Contributor
bookgirlJJ
0 Kudos

Thank you for asking, AgileFusion. Personally, I would like to see something that would allow me to export highlighted passages and notes made in the nook ereader software to a document of some kind, a crossword puzzle app for adults with a lot of puzzles (I have finished the ones that came with the device long ago), and Scrabble-type games such as Words with Friends. I would also love to see some sort of puzzle game similar to Microsoft's old Pandora's Box PC game. :-)
New User
savta
0 Kudos

I bought the Nook color to be able to see maps and illustrations in color.  There are no children in my home and I am very disappointed in the apps that have been made available so far.

Frequent Contributor
cbtengr
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

- Something, anything to make the gallery usable!  It is useless in its current form.  

- Create a way to see the latest apps without having to scroll through the entire list.  

Do you really think the only users are young children?  Most of these are not even apps, but enhanced books.