Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger
0 Kudos

"Select Members" offers?

[ Edited ]

I plan to purchase a new HD for myself, so I have searched these boards for news of any upcoming deals.  Last week(?) someone had mentioned receiving a coupon for B&N members for the HD at $125 beginning June 1.   I am a three-year B&N member, so I waited patiently to receive a coupon, email or snail mail.  Nothing arrived. 

Yesterday, June 1, I was in my local B&N taking advantage of the BOGO NOOKbook sale.  I asked about the deal.  My clerk told me that the promotion is being sent to "select" B&N members, a determination made by corporate office and that although I am a member, I may not receive the offer.

In the past when I have received B&N coupons in the mail, I have arrived in the store to find that the "members only" deal is available to everyone and that my coupons are totally unnecessary.  (BTW, that's fine with me, since I want the NOOK to sell.)

Is my local B&N guy right about this being a "select member" offer?  If so, does anyone have the specifics of the "select member" offer -- 5+ year members or members who have not purchased a NOOK in the last 12 months or members in certain geographic areas? 

Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Re: "Select Members" offers?

They are right, and what's more frustrating is that while a coupon allows for 5 devices to be purchased at that price (from what my managers have told me), the stores are not allowed to hold on to coupons that customers say they do not want.

It's very frustrating since it's a great promotion. 

I do not know what causes certain members to get coupons and others not.  I would have thought that members who regularly used coupons would get these ones.  But that does not appear to be the case.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

whiteginger wrote:   {snip} 

In the past when I have received B&N coupons in the mail, I have arrived in the store to find that the "members only" deal is available to everyone and that my coupons are totally unnecessary.  (BTW, that's fine with me, since I want the NOOK to sell.)

This was actually one of the reasons that I didn't bother to renew my membership the last time. 

Someone else mentioned on another thread that they received their coupons through the post, but that particular one for the HD discount had been removed.

Maybe someone here that received one, and isn't looking to buy 5 devices, they might share their code with you?

keriflur
0 Kudos

I've been a member since they started the program and AFAIK I didn't get a coupon. It's possible it came and got tossed as junk mail (we get a lot of junk), but I definitely didn't see it.
Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin

We got the offer.  Since my husband has the NC, and I have the NTS, NC & HD+.  We'd also bught the original Nook about two years ago.  So they aren't sending it to people who need another Nook!  We do use the card on a regular basis at the cafe; and we buy DTBs and other items like educational toys from the store or on line at least once a month.  So maybe people who are frequent users of the membership?

keriflur
0 Kudos

BFCoughlin wrote:

We got the offer.  Since my husband has the NC, and I have the NTS, NC & HD+.  We'd also bught the original Nook about two years ago.  So they aren't sending it to people who need another Nook!  We do use the card on a regular basis at the cafe; and we buy DTBs and other items like educational toys from the store or on line at least once a month.  So maybe people who are frequent users of the membership?

I haven't bought a nook in 2 years, and have never bought a color nook, so theoretically I'd be a good candidate for the coupon (I'm actually not a good candidate b/c I have an N7 and an ipad, but B&N doesn't know that).  I don't go into the store all that often - maybe I don't use my membership often enough?

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

I think it's based on the number of nooks you've bought and/or ebooks purchased from B&N. We received the coupon. We currently have 6 nooks registered to my account, 2 to my hubby's and have purchased 3 additional ones as gifts for family members. Additionally, we've each  purchased 800-1000 ebooks from B&N in the last 3 years, and I've purchased about 120 videos from B&N on my HD...

We've used our B&N card to purchase at least 3 of the nooks,and use our membership card occasionally at the cafe or to purchase nook covers, but rarely use it to purchase hard cover books.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger
0 Kudos

laurieb52 wrote:

I think it's based on the number of nooks you've bought and/or ebooks purchased from B&N. We received the coupon. We currently have 6 nooks registered to my account, 2 to my hubby's and have purchased 3 additional ones as gifts for family members. Additionally, we've each  purchased 800-1000 ebooks from B&N in the last 3 years, and I've purchased about 120 videos from B&N on my HD...

We've used our B&N card to purchase at least 3 of the nooks,and use our membership card occasionally at the cafe or to purchase nook covers, but rarely use it to purchase hard cover books.

Laurieb52, actually my buying habits are quite like yours.  I own 4 NOOKS (N1E, NC, NST, and HD+)  and have bought the HD as a gift for a friend.  I purchased my membership after getting the N1E as a gift; the four other NOOK purchases have all been through my membership.  I keep a NOOK in every room and plan to use the new HD as a replacement for the aging N1E.  I have purchased 500-600 NOOKbooks in the past 3 years and many other items from B&N.  So why didn't I get a coupon?  :smileysad:

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

Hmm..

Not sure; do you buy videos too?

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,924

I'm convinced that "select members" just means some guys at corperate pin everyone's name on a wall, get completely smashed, and go to town with a bunch of darts.

Much like how I think they do store payroll.

Frequent Contributor
Opa-MN

I think flyingtoastr has it correct.  My wife has a membership since I let mine lapse because nothing nook qualifies.  My wife got the coupon and has never purchased a nook and uses her membership occasionally.  The dart method may actually be the best explanation!!!!

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

For what it's worth we got the coupon (someone on my team did). She had bought a lot of devices.

I think B&N is using some algorithm

If 'Lot sof Nooks bought in the past' OR 'Lots of books bought in the past' then Perhaps send offer.

I think it's strange to send it selectively. What's the point of getting a membership if you don't get EVERY good offer.

Mercury_Glitch

Not only that, but if the 'bought a lot of devices' is actually part of the determination it's a flawed system.

People who have Nooks shouldn't be your target, they are already in your ecosystem, they already like your device.  Give them a reward the allows them to enjoy their devices more, not one that encourages them to upgrade when they may not have a desire (eink readers over tablet users). 

If you're going to limit it for whatever reason then you'd want to send it to people who haven't bought a lot of devices, maybe even prioritizing those who haven't bought a single device.  This way you attract new people in to the ecosystem.

Likewise send it to people who have been renewing their membership, rewarding that behavior builds brand loyalty.  It also makes it easier to justify renewing again even if they don't use the coupon. 

Personally I'd rather have seen it sent to many or every member.  But I can see why B&N wouldn't want to do that, it's a very good discount on the HD series. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
keriflur
0 Kudos

Here's a theory.  You know all the complaining about not getting GoPS going on from NC/T owners?  How many of the folks that got coupons owned those devices?

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Very interesting theory.

I know it sounds strange. However, people who have bought a Nook Color or Nook Tablet are actually MORE likely to buy a Nook HD or HD+.

Even more so than people who've never bought a Nook Tablet and are interested.

Plus, what Keriflur said. It might be a 'gift' to existing Color and Tablet owners. That makes sense - especially if there are no plans for adding Google App Store to Color and Tablet.

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I don't find the approach that flawed. The sale is just prior to Father's day, and for those who have bought a lot of nooks, the sale is an incentive to gift another one. As I mentioned earlier, between my hubby and I, we have gifted nooks to 10 family members, and with this sale, someone else is getting one too.

That's a lot of people to turn on to reading ebooks.

keriflur
0 Kudos

laurieb52 wrote:

I don't find the approach that flawed. The sale is just prior to Father's day, and for those who have bought a lot of nooks, the sale is an incentive to gift another one. As I mentioned earlier, between my hubby and I, we have gifted nooks to 10 family members, and with this sale, someone else is getting one too.

That's a lot of people to turn on to reading ebooks.

How many of those nooks were NC or NT?  How many were eink?

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Three were eink, 5 were Nook Colors, and 2 were tablets. In addition, my hubby and I have an HD and HD+, and I also have a simple touch.

keriflur
0 Kudos

Has anyone gotten a coupon that didn't buy at least one NC or NT?

I'm thinking that's the criteria.

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,244
Solutions: 18

What's wrong with "random"???

Why not consider that B&N sent the coupons to a small percentage at random, in order to sell a small number of Nooks at a loss, but to get others buying memberships in the hope of getting a future discount offer?  Or just to get up anticipation, and them count on a certain number just buying at the regular price?

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
2 Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.