Frequent Contributor
Larryb52
0 Kudos

rant-BN sales tacticts a shame on glowlight reader

what a sham, they offer a reader to be released May 1 than May 7 so I put my name on a reserve list & now the release date is May 30th , I call the store a couple times a week to see where I stand and I get some of the worse answers. Hello BN if you want to sell these things you need to keep you customers up todate , I just hang up and was basically told, sorry we don't have any & we have no idea where you are on the waiting list. It is no surprise that BN is in financial trouble, this is pathetic... 

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

Re: rant-BN sales tacticts a shame on glowlight reader

Odd, since you had one in your hands at one point, at least according to your posts in this thread:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Simple-Touch-General/disappointed-with-the-glowlight/m-p...

Seems they succeeded in fulfilling your order, you were ambivalent, chose to return it, and now have changed your mind again? 

Agreed, the short stock on the units is not good, but I'm not seeing your experience as entirely BN's fault. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
keriflur
0 Kudos

As a member of this forum you should already know that B&N is filling online orders rather than sending untis to stores, so if you want one, just order online.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

So basically the OP got one, wasn't happy with it, returned it and is now upset that he can't get another one as quickly as he wants?  I give up.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Correspondent
Byteguy

Maybe the OP has multiple personalities and the one that returned the reader forgot to leave a note to the others.

BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 519
Solutions: 40
0 Kudos

Frequent Contributor
Larryb52
0 Kudos

roustabout wrote:

Odd, since you had one in your hands at one point, at least according to your posts in this thread:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Simple-Touch-General/disappointed-with-the-glowlight/m-p...

Seems they succeeded in fulfilling your order, you were ambivalent, chose to return it, and now have changed your mind again? 

Agreed, the short stock on the units is not good, but I'm not seeing your experience as entirely BN's fault. 

on someone's suggestion from HERE I took it back & they had none for exchange so my wife agreed to let me take here when i came in when she ordered it at the store where she works, so you're partly right partly wrong...

Frequent Contributor
Larryb52
0 Kudos

geeze folks all the negativity here towards me, gosh what great understanding, perhaps all of those that posted something unkind falls into 'the I'm perfect' area of life I'm happy for you. If you read my post to roustabout you'll see where I was coming from & sorry BN has screwed this up IMHO big time. Don't selll something you can't deliver that simple & I'm glad for those that see this as the way to do business...

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,247
Solutions: 18

Unrealistic expectations in a "me now" world

[ Edited ]

I think the reaction is to unrealistic expectations.  Most successful or highly desireable products are in short supply when they are first available.  That's been true for over 50 years.   It can especially be true when a manufacturer underestimates the initial demand.  Or are you claiming that B&N should be all-seeing, all-knowing about the demand?  Yes, B&N HQ communications to both customers and store staff is poor.  It's annoying, but not fatal.

When you add to that, the fact that you had one and returned it, and those who want one but haven't had the chance to get one yet, well, you don't engender much sympathy.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

DFTT.

Well, this went right over my head.  I'm sure I'll feel like an idiot when someone tells me this acronym though... :smileywink:

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Scribe
Schwa
0 Kudos

Larryb52 wrote:

It is no surprise that BN is in financial trouble, this is pathetic... 

Um, they're in financial trouble?

They're not exactly darlings of Wall Street, but the stores are actually doing just fine.  Stop reading daytrader blogs (Motley Fool, I'm looking at you.)

Frequent Contributor
Larryb52
0 Kudos

you don't get it folks BN didn't misgage sales they didn't have any ready & someone at the forum suggested & a good suggestion to return the one I had as it maybe faulty, I returned it to the store & they said all I coud do is return it & wait for another as they could not promise another one would be in , in that 2 week period for returns, My wife ordered one & offered that to me, her's is still not in & the people at the store treat you like a bother. They are in sales, my bother is to buy a product why should anyone accept poor phone manners? People who would rather not call?, they say they will be in the stores the 30th, I guess I'll have to wait for a good one, FWIW the store did agree that the one I had was flawed, so thanks to all for you kind words, OH that's right there were no kind words, Also as an aside I  and my family own the nook 1, 2 NST & the tablet, so no I support BN but I will call them out when i feel they dropped the ball...

DeanGibson

YMMV

[ Edited ]

AlanNJ wrote:

Ya_Ya wrote:

DFTT.

Well, this went right over my head.  I'm sure I'll feel like an idiot when someone tells me this acronym though... :smileywink:

"Don't feed the ..."

On the subject of "Internet abbreviations":

Although sometimes negative characterizations are best abbreviated (like in this case), I try to avoid them in my writing:

1. First of all, I feel that it is often a sign of laziness on the part of the writer.  Yes, I know a significant subculture exists around texting, but somehow I have been blessed without the genetic addiction to that practice.
  2. We live in a world of abbreviations, and I don't think it helps communication with individuals new to a subculture, to use them without explanation.
  3. Often subculture abbreviations are used by the writer to show that he/she is part of the "in group", and I don't have much sympathy with that behavior either.
  4. In technical fields, it often leads to confusion.  I remember a job interviewer that used the term "SNA", and sneered when I seemed confused about what it meant.  He meant "Secure Network Access", whereas I remembered the term as IBM's "Systems Network Architecture" (which pre-dated his term).  The company made an offer of employment, but I didn't accept it;  they later went out of business.
  5. For years I even avoided "emoticons", believing that it was better to learn how to express such ideas in normal English.  It's only lately (out of laziness, I admit) that I've succumbed to occasional usage.

DeanGibson
0 Kudos

A question of perspective

[ Edited ]

Larryb52 wrote:

you don't get it folks BN didn't misgage sales they didn't have any ready ...

I have no special relationship w/ B&N, and I received mine on May 1 in the store, as promised.

Frequent Contributor
Larryb52
0 Kudos

Re: A question of perspective

[ Edited ]

great...and of course you can speak on the behalf of all those who are still waiting or are you just another one of the privlidged few ? btw since you rooted your devices you don't support the company at all you totally ignored their useage rules , you remember those the ones you agreed to to when you started to use your device, obviously you word is worthless...

keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: This is silly IMO

@ Larryb52

The stores are not accepting "orders" they are only accepting reservations, which do not require you to pay.  So your wife made a reservation.  There's nothing stopping you from ordering one online, which, if the currently reported practice holds, you will get before your store gets stock.

So, go order one.  What are you waiting for?

* Yes, the use of IMO was deliberate, FWIW. Now excuse my while I LOL IRL.

Correspondent
Byteguy

All that info would have helped A LOT in your original post.  We don't read minds.

So, your complaint is that the stores aren't getting units fast enough (or, honestly, at all) right now.  That's not a B&N-specific issue.  I've seen the same thing with Target and lots of other stores.

Yes, the demand has been exceptional and B&N is trying to fill on-line PAID orders as fast as they can and not sparing units for potential orders.  I'm sure as soon as they satisfy all those people who's money they already have (and are itching to get their unit) B&N will fill the stores to the rafters.

Frequent Contributor
Larryb52
0 Kudos

Re: This is silly IMO

keriflur wrote:

@ Larryb52

The stores are not accepting "orders" they are only accepting reservations, which do not require you to pay.  So your wife made a reservation.  There's nothing stopping you from ordering one online, which, if the currently reported practice holds, you will get before your store gets stock.

So, go order one.  What are you waiting for?

* Yes, the use of IMO was deliberate, FWIW. Now excuse my while I LOL IRL.

per the store manager all reservations are being fulfilled 1st than orders will be filled on the 30th but I was told this today....so I don't think I will order just yet...

DeanGibson
0 Kudos

TTIH

[ Edited ]

Larryb52 wrote:

btw since you rooted your devices you don't support the company at all you totally ignored their useage rules , you remember those the ones you agreed to to when you started to use your device, obviously you word is worthless...

Huh?  B&N is not Hitler, and I didn't kill anyone.  I simply voided my warranties (on the ones that were bought new).

BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 519
Solutions: 40
0 Kudos

Re: No perspective at all

This message has been moved for violation of Community Guidelines.