Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: This is silly IMO

Larryb52 wrote:
per the store manager all reservations are being fulfilled 1st than orders will be filled on the 30th but I was told this today....so I don't think I will order just yet...

And you believed him?  *cackles like the Wicked Witch of the West*

Frequent Contributor
Larryb52
0 Kudos

Re: This is silly IMO

that's my point who do I trust? the forum or the manager maybe the maderator knows? bet not...

Wordsmith
tmr4
0 Kudos

Re: rant-BN sales tacticts a shame on glowlight reader

You were unhappy with the contrast and memory on the first one and were happy sticking with your NST. You said BN rushed it to market. Why the change of heart again? Sounds to me that your problems are your own doing. You shouldn't have returned the first one. I'd guess you just needed to get use to it.
Correspondent
Steph0690
0 Kudos

Re: rant-BN sales tacticts a shame on glowlight reader

[ Edited ]

Well the OP stated that his unit was flawed and therefore it was returned. 

You were lucky to have gotten a NSTG as early as you did, but if it was messed up then I think you did right in returning it.

Unfortunately many people, you included, have had issues getting correct information from B&N stores regarding availability and reservations.

Many stores have this issue with many different products. When the iPhone 4S was announced I pre-ordered it from Best Buy (mind you I put down a deposit) and the day of the release they did not receive the phones for my service provider. I was told by a store manager that the company I had was not going to release the iPhone 4S. I then drove to the Apple store and luckily found the specific phone I was looking for and purchased it there. Turns out that the manager I spoke to gave me incorrect info and Best Buy received the shipment late and all employees had been informed as to why they did not have the phone the morning of the release. 

My point being that many stores run into issues like this, even when you pre-order and actually put down a deposit for an item. Not all stores have the correct information and apparently not all employees are really kept up to date. Unfortunately we just have to deal with it. 

I pre-ordered my NSTG from Best Buy and its supposed to ship May 31st but then again who knows B&N may have to fulfill their own orders online and may not have enough units again.

Its just the way the cookie crumbles. :smileyhappy:

friend me on Goodreads :smileyhappy:
http://www.goodreads.com/stephanya
Distinguished Correspondent
akaCat
0 Kudos

Re: TTIH

DeanGibson wrote:

Larryb52 wrote:

btw since you rooted your devices you don't support the company at all you totally ignored their useage rules , you remember those the ones you agreed to to when you started to use your device, obviously you word is worthless...

Huh?  B&N is not Hitler, and I didn't kill anyone.  I simply voided my warranties (on the ones that were bought new).

What do you see in his admittedly silly accusations that implies he thinks B&N is Hitler? If he didn't at least imply it first it seems like a poor choice of words, what with the invoking of Godwin's Law* and all.

And what does TTIH mean?

* Godwin's Law: Hitler/Nazis will eventually be brought up in any online discussion if it goes on long enough. Godwin's Corollary (almost always implied by the usage of Godwin's Law): he who mentions Hitler/Nazis first (outside of appropriate historical reference), loses the debate.

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,257
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

Who rules the world?

[ Edited ]

akaCat wrote:

DeanGibson wrote:

Larryb52 wrote:

btw since you rooted your devices you don't support the company at all you totally ignored their useage rules, you remember those the ones you agreed to to when you started to use your device, obviously you (sic) word is worthless...

Huh?  B&N is not Hitler, and I didn't kill anyone.  I simply voided my warranties (on the ones that were bought new).

What do you see in his admittedly silly accusations that implies he thinks B&N is Hitler? If he didn't at least imply it first it seems like a poor choice of words, what with the invoking of Godwin's Law* and all.

And what does TTIH mean?

* Godwin's Law: Hitler/Nazis will eventually be brought up in any online discussion if it goes on long enough. Godwin's Corollary (almost always implied by the usage of Godwin's Law): he who mentions Hitler/Nazis first (outside of appropriate historical reference), loses the debate.

1. I meant that B&N does not rule the world (nor does B&N try to), and therefore I have not broken any precious "usage rules", any more than "Godwin's Corollary" (which I heard of several years ago) rules the world, and that I have to obey that, either.
  2. Normally I don't read 14000-word  (that excludes the AT&T portion) "Terms of Service" documents ( http://www.nook.com/legal ) prior to using a product (I've better things to do with my life), and I dare say no one else in this thread does either.  However, I partially did so in preparation for this response, and nowhere that I could find, does it prohibit "rooting".  First of all, much of the "Terms" is a copy of the GNU, Apache, and other open-source licenses, which explicitly permit (or in some cases, guarantee your right to) modify the software.  The "Terms" also explicitly permit sideloaded content.  Secondly, in rooting, I (and roustabout, and others who root) copy over certain additional files (eg, "su") that permit root access.  Note that the open-source licenses in the "Terms" require B&N to make available the source code for those components of the Nook that are derived from open-source sources, and they do, precisely to allow modification by end users.  Thirdly, the only clause that I could find that might possibly apply, is that about returns;  namely, returning it in an "undamaged condition".  However, since B&N almost certainly reflashes the internal memory prior to any resale, even that interpretation is questionable.  However, as a personal value, I don't believe that B&N has any obligation to support a device which has been "operationally modified" (and has not been restored to factory conditions).
  3. If anyone doubts whether or not I "support the company", they are free to contact Alex_G or SLevine (both of B&N) about the out-of-band support that I have provided.
  4. I have used the "Hitler" reference twice on these forums, and both times to claim that someone is NOT "Hitler" (meaning dictator of the world).  My first two messages to larryb52 were respectful, and you see his response.  OK, he is free to reply as he wishes, but when he then personally attacks me, I just may respond forcefully (but hopefully not in kind), as I did in the other case as well.
  5. The last two words of "TTIH" are "... is hungry".

Nooks: 2 HD+/16GB & 2 HD/8GB: B&N 2.2.0 (Android 4.0.4) rooted;
    2 Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G3 & G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2 rooted; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Distinguished Correspondent
akaCat
0 Kudos

Re: Who rules the world?

[ Edited ]

DeanGibson wrote:
  1. I meant that B&N does not rule the world (nor does B&N try to), and therefore I have not broken any precious "usage rules", any more than "Godwin's Corollary" (which I heard of several years ago) rules the world, and that I have to obey that, either.
  2. Normally I don't read 14000-word  (that excludes the AT&T portion) "Terms of Service" documents[.]
  3. If anyone doubts whether or not I "support the company", they are free to contact Alex_G or SLevine (both of B&N) about the out-of-band support that I have provided.
  4. I have used the "Hitler" reference twice on these forums, and both times to claim that someone is NOT "Hitler" (meaning dictator of the world).  My first two messages to larryb52 were respectful, and you see his response.  OK, he is free to reply as he wishes, but when he then personally attacks me, I just may respond forcefully (but hopefully not in kind), as I did in the other case as well.
  5. The last two words of "TTIH" are "... is hungry".

1. Gotcha. I just missed your leap of logic before.

2,3: You did see the part where I called his accusations silly, right? (And while I currently don't have any rooted Nooks, all but my Glow have been rooted or ran CM7 at one time.)

4. I'm not arguing with how you replied, I was just confused and too curious not to ask for clarification. And pulling your leg on the Godwin thing while I was at it, because I can't resist doing that. As to whether your current usage invokes Godwin's Law, that will have to be determined by the international Godwin committee. :smileywink:

5. Thanks! (Sad thing is I've probably seen it before. That subset of internet acronyms always falls right out of my brain.)

Frequent Contributor
Larryb52
0 Kudos

nice ending

well they called & it all paid off the nook glow is great & the no contrast issue at all, from the looks of all the nook-glows on the hold shelf they got a large shipment in, sorry if I offended anyone , that was not my intent, I still think all in all BN could at least be a bit more forth coming in info but glad it finally came in,

Correspondent
Steph0690
0 Kudos

Re: nice ending

Larryb52 wrote:

well they called & it all paid off the nook glow is great & the no contrast issue at all, from the looks of all the nook-glows on the hold shelf they got a large shipment in, sorry if I offended anyone , that was not my intent, I still think all in all BN could at least be a bit more forth coming in info but glad it finally came in,

I'm glad everything turned out good for you and enjoy your NSTG :smileywink:

& I agree they could definitely be a bit better with providing customers with info

friend me on Goodreads :smileyhappy:
http://www.goodreads.com/stephanya