Contributor
cd2011
0 Kudos

reading on the beach, screen brightness and sunglasses

I've been reading my nook color on the beach this week, the brightness is turned as bright as it can go, but when I wear sunglasses I cannot see the text, so must wear my regular reading glasses. Any ideas what I should be doing so I can see the text while wearing sunglasses out in the sun?

thanks,

cd2011

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

Re: reading on the beach, screen brightness and sunglasses

Try sunglasses that aren't polarized. If you turn your NOOK, you may notice it's more visible at certain orientations. You're seeing hte screen technology visibiliy affected by the (I assume) polarized lenses in your sunglasses.

Even with that, it may be hard to read, but it's worth a shot..

Correspondent
musicmama2010
0 Kudos

You might also try changing the color settings for your books.  I recall that some folks found using Night  (white text on black background) worked while I prefer using the Butter and Sepia settings.  For the record, I have transitions no-line bifocals, which are not polarized, so it's not as bad for me.

Reader
jerseynurse49
0 Kudos

I had to enlarge the text in order to read on the beach wearing no-line bifocals last summer.  Even at that, I still felt like I was straining my 63-year old eyes.

Reader
jerseynurse49
0 Kudos

Forget to say they were prescription sunglasses.
Contributor
cd2011
0 Kudos

Thank you to all who replied. Musicmama's idea to use Night Text, white text on black background, worked perfectly! I was able to use my nonprescription reading sunglasses while on the beach to read my nook color. Thanks!!
Frequent Contributor
momof3redheads
0 Kudos

I was on the beach last week.  I changed my text also.  I also sat under a beach umbrella which made a huge difference...blocking the sun from my screen

Inspired Correspondent
jlhatch
0 Kudos

Shade of any kind helps a lot. I found that if I wanted to read in the sun, if I had the sun directly behind me, the shadow of my head made that area readable.