Contributor
winterstar5

the kindle app

I was delighted to see that with a Nook HD  I was able to install the K indle app from the Google Play store, and now I can easily read my kindle books on something larger than a smart phone with out going through a hassle.

Thank you Barnes and Noble! I hope you have GREAT SUCCESS with the Nook. :smileyvery-happy:

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Re: the kindle app

It'll be interesting to see how many people with their libraries in Kindle format switch to Nook HD and HD+. Especially now that prices of Nook HD and HD+ are really dropping.

Frequent Contributor
rfortson
0 Kudos

Not only the Kindle app, but the Zinio app is available as well.  That's a biggie for me as there are a lot more magazines available on Zinio than there are at B&N, and they're significantly cheaper.

With the new member price on the HD+, and the addition of the Google Play store, I picked up a 32GB version yesterday.  I'll be selling my NC soon.

Bibliophile
bklvr896

I really dislike the Kindle App for Android, I have it on my phone for some free books I picked up.  Unless I just can't find it, there's no way to change the font, I can make it bigger or smaller, but I can't change it to anything else.

Not a big deal, because I still refuse to buy books from Amazon.

Bibliophile
5ivedom

Amazon used to not have font options in the Kindle Reading App. Interesting if they still haven't added any.

It's surprising to me how little companies like Stanza (before it got bought by Amazon) can have so many features but large companies like Amazon and B&N have rudimentary reading apps on other platforms.

Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

You can change the font in the Kindle app.- at least with the versions I have. On my HTC Thunderbolt, all I have to do is tap the button just under the screen that says "menu" and it brings up a menu with several options - one of which is viewing options (signified by a Aa icon). If I tap that, I can change the size of the font, the spacing, the width of the borders, the background color, and the brightness for the screen. On my HD+, the Aa icon appears in the upper righthand corner. When I tap it, I get the same options that I get on my phone.

(The menu button on my phone is part of the phone itself, not part of the Kindle app. I have no idea if other phones have a button like that or not. If they don't, I would imagine the app would have a set up similar to what's on the HD+.)

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

TnTexas wrote:

You can change the font in the Kindle app.- at least with the versions I have. On my HTC Thunderbolt, all I have to do is tap the button just under the screen that says "menu" and it brings up a menu with several options - one of which is viewing options (signified by a Aa icon). If I tap that, I can change the size of the font, the spacing, the width of the borders, the background color, and the brightness for the screen. On my HD+, the Aa icon appears in the upper righthand corner. When I tap it, I get the same options that I get on my phone.

(The menu button on my phone is part of the phone itself, not part of the Kindle app. I have no idea if other phones have a button like that or not. If they don't, I would imagine the app would have a set up similar to what's on the HD+.)

Yes but you didnt mention changing the actual font.   you know you can change the other stuff, I want to be able to chande the font.

Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

bklvr896: Yes but you didnt mention changing the actual font.   you know you can change the other stuff, I want to be able to chande the font.

My apologies. I thought you were simply talking about changing the size of the font - not changing it from Arial to Roman (or whatever). No, the Kindle app does not have an option to change the type of font for the book - just the size. 

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Yes, font type is what's missing.

Amazon's own Kindle font options are strange (to put it mildly). It's almost as if Amazon sometimes chooses to not add features out of spite.

It would hardly take any work to add 10-20 good readable fonts in addition to the existing ones.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

5ivedom wrote:

Amazon's own Kindle font options are strange (to put it mildly). It's almost as if Amazon sometimes chooses to not add features out of spite.

It would hardly take any work to add 10-20 good readable fonts in addition to the existing ones.

They operate on the Apple model - you'll take what we give you and you'll like it.  Strangely, it seems to work in both cases.

Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

5ivedom: Yes, font type is what's missing.

This is probably going to sound like a dumb question; but coming from someone who has never felt a need to change the font for a book, why would someone need/want to change it? I'm not saying it's wrong to want to change it or anything, I'm just wondering why.

keriflur

TnTexas wrote:

This is probably going to sound like a dumb question; but coming from someone who has never felt a need to change the font for a book, why would someone need/want to change it? I'm not saying it's wrong to want to change it or anything, I'm just wondering why.

People perceive things differently, and some fonts are on average easier to read (for example, serif fonts are easier to read than sans-serif fonts for most people).  Some people have trouble with the kerning (the spacing between letters in a font) - they feel the letters are too close together and that makes the words harder to read.  Some prefer monspaced fonts to proportional fonts, etc.  And certain fonts are easier for dyslexic people to read.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Font control on the Kindle, Nook, and the related apps has always been fairly marginal.  You'll get a selection of fonts, and you'll be able to mess with line spacing, but that's generally the limit to the control you get.  It's been an issue I've disliked since the start.  And it's something that the eink competition has had as a stellar feature for quite some time now. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Bibliophile
bklvr896

[ Edited ]

TnTexas wrote:

5ivedom: Yes, font type is what's missing.

I hate reading serif fonts, especially on any type of screen.  I always want to change to to a sans serif font.  It annoys me when  a book will not let me change the font to something else, and the Kindle app annoys me even more because regardless of how a book is set up, it won't let me change it.  Of course, since I only read free books on the Kindle App I suppose I have little to complain about.

I have a book I purchased, Raising Atlantis, by Thomas Greanias, that won't let you change even the font size and it's extremely small font.  So I can't read the book.  I've yet to find a way to contact the author, although I admit to not having tried really hard, but it means I won't purchase any other books in the series, if I can't read the first one.  

One of the reasons I purchased an ereader was to be able to control font and font size.

MacMcK1957

[ Edited ]

bklvr896 wrote:

I have a book I purchased, Raising Atlantis, by Thomas Greanias, that won't let you change even the font size and it's extremely small font.  So I can't read the book.  I've yet to find a way to contact the author, although I admit to not having tried really hard, but it means I won't purchase any other books in the series, if I can't read the first one.  

One of the reasons I purchased an ereader was to be able to control font and font size

The situation you describe is exactly one I have encountered several times, where the publisher has locked down the font properties so tight that it is impossible to change them.  (For some reason the Gideon Oliver mystery series has this issue.)  I feel no reluctance in that situation to running the book through Calibre, stripping the DRM, and resaving in a standard font so it can be read. I've frequently done this on behalf of my visually impaired mother, and occasionally for my own reading.

Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

keriflur: People perceive things differently, and some fonts are on average easier to read (for example, serif fonts are easier to read than sans-serif fonts for most people).  Some people have trouble with the kerning (the spacing between letters in a font) - they feel the letters are too close together and that makes the words harder to read.  Some prefer monspaced fonts to proportional fonts, etc.  And certain fonts are easier for dyslexic people to read.

Ok. This makes sense. Like I said, I've never had a problem with the font(s) chosen so it never occurred to me that others might and want to change it. Thanks for taking the time to explain. :smileyhappy:

bklvr896: I hate reading serif fonts, especially on any type of screen.  I always want to change to to a sans serif font.  It annoys me when  a book will not let me change the font to something else, and the Kindle app annoys me even more because regardless of how a book is set up, it won't let me change it.  Of course, since I only read free books on the Kindle App I suppose I have little to complain about.

I have a book I purchased, Raising Atlantis, by Thomas Greanias, that won't let you change even the font size and it's extremely small font.  So I can't read the book.  I've yet to find a way to contact the author, although I admit to not having tried really hard, but it means I won't purchase any other books in the series, if I can't read the first one. 

One of the reasons I purchased an ereader was to be able to control font and font size.

Thanks for taking the time to explain. Not being able to change the font size would drive me crazy.

BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 517
Solutions: 40
0 Kudos

This message has been moved for Violation of Community Guidelines. - Spam

Wordsmith
KingAl
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

5ivedom wrote:

They operate on the Apple model - you'll take what we give you and you'll like it.  Strangely, it seems to work in both cases.

Oddly enough, you CAN change the font on the Kindle for iOS app.

Distinguished Correspondent
cgsmom
0 Kudos

My first experience with ebooks was Microsoft Reader on a PDA. Microsoft Reader was really nice. I still miss it.  The clear type fonts were very easy to read. When my PDA died I got an iPod touch. I read one book on the Kindle app and hated it because I couldn't change the font. The original Barnes & Noble eReader app was really nice. I still have it on my iPod. I wish I could figure how to get books into it.  When I decided to buy an ereader, I never considered a Kindle because I still read on my iPod quite a bit and I hate the Kindle app. Apparently lots of people don't have a problem with fonts because there are lots of Kindles around.

keriflur
0 Kudos

cgsmom wrote:

My first experience with ebooks was Microsoft Reader on a PDA. Microsoft Reader was really nice. I still miss it.  The clear type fonts were very easy to read. When my PDA died I got an iPod touch. I read one book on the Kindle app and hated it because I couldn't change the font. The original Barnes & Noble eReader app was really nice. I still have it on my iPod. I wish I could figure how to get books into it.  When I decided to buy an ereader, I never considered a Kindle because I still read on my iPod quite a bit and I hate the Kindle app. Apparently lots of people don't have a problem with fonts because there are lots of Kindles around.

The kindle app for the ipod/iphone has been updated with more options and you can now change the font.  It's only in the Android app that you can't, which is... odd, but it's what Amazon has decided to do.