Wordsmith
Tim40744
0 Kudos

Re: the kindle app

keriflur wrote:

cgsmom wrote:

My first experience with ebooks was Microsoft Reader on a PDA. Microsoft Reader was really nice. I still miss it.  The clear type fonts were very easy to read. When my PDA died I got an iPod touch. I read one book on the Kindle app and hated it because I couldn't change the font. The original Barnes & Noble eReader app was really nice. I still have it on my iPod. I wish I could figure how to get books into it.  When I decided to buy an ereader, I never considered a Kindle because I still read on my iPod quite a bit and I hate the Kindle app. Apparently lots of people don't have a problem with fonts because there are lots of Kindles around.

The kindle app for the ipod/iphone has been updated with more options and you can now change the font.  It's only in the Android app that you can't, which is... odd, but it's what Amazon has decided to do.

Weeell, I think there's a reason for that. Amazon doesn't seem to provide as nice an experience for the Android app because it competes with KF. There's a choice of font for the native KF reader: Caecilia, Georgia, Paltino, Baskerville, Hevetica, and Lucida. On a side note, although there's an iOS app for Amazon Instant Videos, there is no app for Android. :smileylol:

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Tim40744 wrote:
Weeell, I think there's a reason for that. Amazon doesn't seem to provide as nice an experience for the Android app because it competes with KF. There's a choice of font for the native KF reader: Caecilia, Georgia, Paltino, Baskerville, Hevetica, and Lucida. On a side note, although there's an iOS app for Amazon Instant Videos, there is no app for Android. :smileylol:

The iOS devices compete against the KF also - the iPad competes against the larger KF and the iPad mini competes against the smaller KF.  That said, there are likely market share differences - statistically iDevice owners spend more on content and shopping than Android owners (on everything, not just Amazon products), so that may be a factor in how much time they spend in dev on the various OSes, and which device gets the improvements and new apps first.

For video, I would imagine that the limited number of screen sizes/resolutions for the iDevices versus the rather high amount of variation on the Android side might be a factor also.

bobstro

[ Edited ]

There is technically an Amazon Instant Video app for Android, but they've limited it to Google TV devices for some reason:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.amazon.avod&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyL...

They also have one for the dinky Roku boxes, so I'm not sure why Amazon won't release a "normal" version for Android. I can tell you that the Google TV version only brings up the Amazon web site, so it's not very slick.

In much the same way, Amazon Prime free ebooks only work on a Kindle device. Realizing all of this made me decide not to bother with Amazon Prime.

You can get AIV to work in a browser on an Android device if you can get Flash loaded on your device, but that's another topic.

Wordsmith
Tim40744
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

bobstro wrote:

*snip*

In much the same way, Amazon Prime free ebooks only work on a Kindle device. Realizing all of this made me decide not to bother with Amazon Prime.

*snip

That's right, KOLL (Kindle Owners Lending Library) will only allow you to borrow books on a physical Kindle (Fire or e-ink) and can only be read on that one particular Kindle. It won't download to another Kindle or app.

Edit: Wait, I'm mistaken on the "it won't download to another Kindle" part. I just checked on the info page...apparently you can. :smileyembarrassed:

keriflur
0 Kudos

Tim40744 wrote:

bobstro wrote:

*snip*

*snip

That's right, KOLL (Kindle Owners Lending Library) will only allow you to borrow books on a physical Kindle (Fire or e-ink) and can only be read on that one particular Kindle. It won't download to another Kindle or app.

The KOLL is the only prime feature that you need a kindle for.  Everything else is available to anyone.

MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

I have only encountered one publication that actually requires a physical Nook, the New York Times. That one will not download to Nook apps on PC or iPad (or I assume anything else), only an actual Nook. Every other book or publication I purchase through B&N can be read on pretty much any device.
Wordsmith
Tim40744
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

Tim40744 wrote:

bobstro wrote:

*snip*

*snip

The KOLL is the only prime feature that you need a kindle for.  Everything else is available to anyone.

Yes, you're exactly right. I imagine it would be frustrating if you were expecting to get it for free and it has a big "pay $x.xx" if you try to get a loan from the website.

New User
purplelady7777
0 Kudos

The Kindle App has had changeable font on many versions and many devices for a few years

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

purplelady7777 wrote:

The Kindle App has had changeable font on many versions and many devices for a few years

That may be true, but it doesn't address the fact that this option is not available on the Android app, so I'm not sure what your point is in pointing out that its available in the other apps. That doesn't help those using the Android app.

New User
NadyasMommy
0 Kudos

After a very frustrating 1.5 hours on the phone with Nook support, I still can't get the Kindle app to install - I get an invalid package error. Nook support says they won't let us install the app...so frustrated! :smileysad:

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

NadyasMommy wrote:

After a very frustrating 1.5 hours on the phone with Nook support, I still can't get the Kindle app to install - I get an invalid package error. Nook support says they won't let us install the app...so frustrated! :smileysad:

What device are you trying to install it on? I have it installed on my Nook HD.  

Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

B&N added access to the Google Play Store (which carries the Kndle app) only to the HD tablet line. None of their other devices (eink or tablet) have access to it.

New User
tschnitzler
0 Kudos

Do you think the Kindle App will also work on a Nook Tablet?

Wordsmith
KingAl
0 Kudos

It will if you either install a dual boot card or root it.
Reader 4
Kats_Korner
0 Kudos

My  Nook will not download Kindle reading app to my Nook HD but to my Samsung Galaxy lll phone where I don't read..any suggestions?

Distinguished Wordsmith
sygram

Are you trying to download it from the Google Play store?

New User
wescol
0 Kudos

How did you find the Kindle app on google play store.  I can not even get the google play store to come up on my Nook HD.  I am not sure how to get this installed?  I have the Kindle App on my iphone but am tired of reading my Kindle books on the tiny screen.  Any help is appreciated.  THanks

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

wescol wrote:

How did you find the Kindle app on google play store.  I can not even get the google play store to come up on my Nook HD.  I am not sure how to get this installed?  I have the Kindle App on my iphone but am tired of reading my Kindle books on the tiny screen.  Any help is appreciated.  THanks

If you have the up to date version of the Nook OS on the Nook HD, it should already be there. Look in the apps folder for the icon that says "Play", kind of a big right pointing arrow with multicolor outline against a very light background. That was one of the first apps I put onto my home page when I got my HD.

tschnitzler wrote:

Do you think the Kindle App will also work on a Nook Tablet?

If rooted with Google Play, 1mobile or Amazon Android store available it should ~ it worked on my Nook Color.

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

bobstro wrote:

There is technically an Amazon Instant Video app for Android, but they've limited it to Google TV devices for some reason:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.amazon.avod&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyL...

They also have one for the dinky Roku boxes, so I'm not sure why Amazon won't release a "normal" version for Android. I can tell you that the Google TV version only brings up the Amazon web site, so it's not very slick.

In much the same way, Amazon Prime free ebooks only work on a Kindle device. Realizing all of this made me decide not to bother with Amazon Prime.

You can get AIV to work in a browser on an Android device if you can get Flash loaded on your device, but that's another topic.

Yeah, this is more a commercial decision by Amazon than a technical obstacle ~ they seem to treat Apple, Roku, etc. users as an extra market out there, many of them out of reach of the Amazon devices, but treat regular Android more like a rival for their devices and offer a smaller feature list for their Google Play apps than they do for the Android apps provided to the Kindle Fire line.

Distinguished Scribe
Schwa

wescol wrote:

1) The Play Store app should be in the app area of your Nook HD/+

2) if it is not there check your profile editor to see if Google apps are checked so they load into the profile

3) make sure you have the most recent update (currently v2.2.0)  This can be found under All Settings > Device Info > Software version