Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

Re: think this should be next eink nook

[ Edited ]

According to this article http://www.the-digital-reader.com/2013/04/18/rumor-did-bn-pass-on-a-chance-to-make-a-nook-glow-hd/

BN had what sounds like a right of first refusal on these screens - they expressed an interest in 300,000 of them last fall, but ultimately declined to buy them. 

One scenario outlined makes a lot of sense - BN took a beating on the HD and HD+ units, despite finally having opened the platform.  There were a lot of extra costs associated with the HD/HD+ which were not there for the Nook Color -> Nook Tablet transition

- new device casings times two

- new cable layout times one

- new UI layout

So they may have decided to stick with the current panel and do some improvements on the innards, or they may simply not have a spring model to release.

On the other hand, BN may have a different screen technology and form factor they're ready to roll out where in the fall they still were looking at e-ink screens. 

Is the 50% off sale on all NST/G accessories still active?  That's what made me really think they getting ready to do a new pure ereader device this season, even in the face of the losses in the Nook division. 

As far as the Kobos go - if the devices review well, they may be worth picking up.  Kobo lets you install software on their platform, including other folks' e-readers.  I am not sure whether the e-ink readers run Android or Linux, but fbreader's going to be an option for either and if they run Android, sideloading the Nook app may be viable to bring across a library. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Wordsmith
taosaur
0 Kudos

At this point I would put the odds somewhat against a new Nook coming out from B&N. I would love to see an Android based reader with pixel density and lighting comparable to the Kobo Aura, but I doubt that 1) it will exist in the near future and 2) it will draw even the moderate developer interest of the Nook ST/Glow if it does get made. The Aura itself is Linux based like its predecessors--I don't know the details, but not Android. 

I've come very close to pulling the trigger on the Aura HD several times this past week, but I have a larger and more critical expense (vehicle purchase) up in the air this month.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Thanks for sharing that Roustabout. That's an amazing piece of information (even if it is a rumor).

Taosaur, I'd pick the vehicle any day. Worth waiting to see what B&N and Amazon have to offer before going with Kobo. Plus a price cut is probably imminent (I doubt Amazon will go with anything other than $139 or $129 for its HD reader.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,947
0 Kudos

I really wouldn't read much (any) into stuff posted on that blog. The writer there posts rumors he's certain about ad nauseum (Amazon is buying TI! Amazon is buying Liquivista! BN will be bankrupt by 2012!) which always end up false.

Wordsmith
LectorGS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Based on what I'vre read about the Kobo aura, then my question is:  will the new Kobo aura's screen be similar to the Nook HD+ when in the e-reader mode?  I have been using my Nook HD+ more as an e-reader than as a tablet due to the quality of the resolution on the screen.

Lector GS
Inspired Wordsmith
taosaur
0 Kudos

5ivedom wrote:

Taosaur, I'd pick the vehicle any day. Worth waiting to see what B&N and Amazon have to offer before going with Kobo. Plus a price cut is probably imminent (I doubt Amazon will go with anything other than $139 or $129 for its HD reader.

Like I said, I have my doubts about B&N making any new offering, and it would take a lot for me to choose an Amazon product over something with expandable storage and EPUB support. I also have my doubts about Amazon producing a larger device than the PW with innards that stand up to the Aura. They're quite content to offer the lowest common denominator--the device that's 'good enough' for the largest number of people. They didn't even keep the DX on the market for long.

Kobo is actively marketing the Aura as a device most people won't want. Right now they're selling it as a limited edition, though it's hard to imagine they won't ramp up production if they see demand. 

It's also unlikely we'll see a new Kindle until closer to the holidays, which is a little longer than it's sensible to wait on a tech purchase. Granted, I've held out on eInk entirely for something like five years now :smileyhappy:

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

You've got a point there.

IF (and it is an IF) B&N doesn't make a new eInk device, then you'd have a long wait.

Have to give credit to Kobo for releasing the HD eInk device and putting pressure on everyone.

keriflur
0 Kudos

5ivedom wrote:

You've got a point there.

IF (and it is an IF) B&N doesn't make a new eInk device, then you'd have a long wait.

Have to give credit to Kobo for releasing the HD eInk device and putting pressure on everyone.

I'm in the market for a new e-ink device.  One with a higher res screen.  If B&N doesn't put out a new device, they will lose me as a customer.  Kobo has definitely thrown down the gauntlet, and it's up to B&N to respond to the challenge.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

I wonder why Kobo is investing so much in devices. What do they see in eInk that Amazon and B&N don't.

What I mean is

1) Amazon has taken its foot off the eInk Device pedal. Their devices aren't new or anything. They seem focused on tablets.

2) B&N - no news so can only speculate. They used to be the company to come out with the new technology. Why not any longer?

keriflur

5ivedom wrote:

1) Amazon has taken its foot off the eInk Device pedal. Their devices aren't new or anything. They seem focused on tablets.

???  They just released the KPW in the fall, right around the time they released the HD kindles.  It was the first e-ink device with a higher res than the standard pearl screen.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,947
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

keriflur wrote:

???  They just released the KPW in the fall, right around the time they released the HD kindles.  It was the first e-ink device with a higher res than the standard pearl screen.

Actually the Kobo Glo (announced three weeks before the KPW) was the first "higher resolution" eink device in mass market production.

But I actually agree with 5ivedom; if you look at Amazon's advertising they are really pushing the Fire over the eink models. Which is also what BN did (I distinctly remember my boss telling me on the day of the NST announcement that "while it's great, our focus is still the NOOK Color"). 

Tablet devices simply have wider appeal and better margin options (app, music, movie, etc. sales).

keriflur
0 Kudos

So Amazon pushing tablets means the paperwhite is somehow "older" than the tablets, and they are new but it is not?  What a fascinating view on time.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Keriflur, why argue just for argument's sake.

Kindle eInk devices haven't been first with ANYTHING since Kindle 3 (the keyboard kindle, and even that wasn't groundbreaking - just very well done hardware wise).

Touch, Lighted Screen, Higher Resolution, HD Resolution - all been done first by other companies. Sometimes 3-6 months in advance.

I own EVERY eReader from B&N, Amazon, Sony, Kobo. Literally everything (except perhaps Mini). I can assure you that Amazon is -

1) Never first on any feature. It's always 2nd or 3rd to market with new features.

2) Never the 'best' ereader. It just has the best infrastructure and gets by on mediocre hardware thanks to the infrastructure and its store/customer relationships.

It's almost to the point of a joke. It's like after Kindle 3 Amazon decided - Making the hardware beautiful is not a good idea. Neither is it a good idea to be first to market with new features.

I think, at some level, Amazon is thinking - Let other companies be the innovator, we'll just be the follow-up device that is cheaper.

Perhaps it's complacency because Amazon has a large part of the market.

Perhaps it's because the Tablets safeguard Amazon's main revenue stream of physical media (i.e. movies and music) while also safeguarding books.

Whatever the reason Amazon completely, totally ignores eInk Kindles now. While there are some very obvious signs (ending Kindle DX) there are also lots and lots of other smaller signs (such as never being first to market with any features, not pushing ahead with software improvements much).

Contributor
rbrenart

If this was the next nook I would've already ordered it. As it stands I'll sit on my wallet another couple of months and probably end up with the KPW unless B&N updates the NSTG.

As much as I want to buy from B&N I just don't think the NSTG is as good as the competition right now. And for me that's saying a lot as I have a significant library in B&N and I do value the ePUB support.

bobstro
0 Kudos

rbrenart wrote:

If this was the next nook I would've already ordered it. As it stands I'll sit on my wallet another couple of months and probably end up with the KPW unless B&N updates the NSTG.

Just curious why you'd go for the KPW when it's the Kobo that has that screen today? 

Contributor
rbrenart
0 Kudos

I'm just not sold on the Kobo ecosystem / company.

I know they've been around, and they seem to have great selection, but I trust B&N and Amazon, I don't have that relationship with Kobo. There's a good chance I'll do the research between now and then and change my mind, but that's my reason as things are today.

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I would pull the trigger on the new kobo without much of a second thought.

As how can they have a relationship and gain my trust if I don't instigate first?

But and a Big But is the questionable quality level of Kobo devices not being top notch. And with the price point of $170 that is a significant consideration to take seriously.

And one I would be more inclined at the $100-$130 level. But not so much pushing at closer to the $200 mark.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
keriflur
0 Kudos

orb9220 wrote:

I would pull the trigger on the new kobo without much of a second thought.

As how can they have a relationship and gain my trust if I don't instigate first?

But and a Big But is the questionable quality level of Kobo devices not being top notch. And with the price point of $170 that is a significant consideration to take seriously.

And one I would be more inclined at the $100-$130 level. But not so much pushing at closer to the $200 mark.

I expect the price will drop once there are competitive devices on the market.  And by then we'll have a better idea of what to expect with this device - software or hardware issues, build quality, etc.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Rbrenart

Kobo device quality is very shoddy.

I own a couple (or perhaps just one, not sure will have to check). Not worth buying.

The Kobo Mini was $50 on sale and I still didn't buy it because quality of Kobo reader and Kobo touch was pretty low. The devices seem cheaply made. The difference in hardware quality between Nooks and Kindle Fires seems like nothing compared to the gap between these two and Kobo.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Has anyone here actually seen, or better yet, tried the Kobo Aura?  Not the various other Kobos out there, just the Aura.

If so, any thoughts?

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.