Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: think this should be next eink nook

Amazon has ensured that what we won't see in the nook line are Liquavista screens.  Given that color Eink is not so great and Mirasol is dead, I'd been hoping for a B&N and Liquavista partnership.

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/Community-Room/Amazon-Buys-Liquavista/m-p/1456657#M35243

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

I'd rather we not see color eink devices.  The only thing that they would enhance on the NST/G line currently are some newspapers (and even then only slightly), and magazines.  It would likely not result in more magazines on the NST/G since it's the formating of the screen rather than the lack of color that seems to be the issue with publishers. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
flyingtoastr
Topics: 52
Kudos: 2,855
0 Kudos

Liquivista really isn't much better than a Triton 2, and unlike the later, eInk has actually be able to ship their products at a consumer level instead of being nothing but Vaporware.

keriflur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

flyingtoastr wrote:

Liquivista really isn't much better than a Triton 2, and unlike the later, eInk has actually be able to ship their products at a consumer level instead of being nothing but Vaporware.

What are the odds we're going to see a Triton 2 screen on a nook?  I'm guessing not so great, but I suppose B&N could surprise me.

Personally, I'd be happy with a higher res N2E sporting the 1.1 software, nothing else changed, but that's me.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

Could we add the HD profiles to it too? With the resolution?

Inspired Wordsmith
taosaur

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

Has anyone here actually seen, or better yet, tried the Kobo Aura?  Not the various other Kobos out there, just the Aura.

If so, any thoughts?

I don't know about here, but several people have provided hands-on reviews over in the mobileread.com thread: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210810

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

taosaur wrote:

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

Has anyone here actually seen, or better yet, tried the Kobo Aura?  Not the various other Kobos out there, just the Aura.

If so, any thoughts?

I don't know about here, but several people have provided hands-on reviews over in the mobileread.com thread: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210810

Thanks, was a bit daunting looking through the 50+ pages, I made it through a few before deciding to skip to the end and work backward.  I saw a few people mention having one, but didn't get a cold clear review (I'm sure it's there somewhere).  However one of the posters mentioned a review at http://www.itproportal.com/reviews/tablets/kobo-aura-hd-review/ which answered my concerns virtually to a tee.

The short and long of it is that the Aura is a very nice device, the software is decent to good, but they didn't feel like it had tangible differences from the Glo and KPW (NSTG wasn't mentioned) to justify the price tag for the person looking to just have a good ereader. 

I was also wondering about how the back felt, and they sort of hemmed and hawed around it saying it was good but not good at the same time.

All said I think I'll pass on the Aura.  My NSTG works fine, and the major draw from the Aura was the increased PPI. 

keriflur
0 Kudos

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

taosaur wrote:

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

If so, any thoughts?

Thanks, was a bit daunting looking through the 50+ pages, I made it through a few before deciding to skip to the end and work backward.  I saw a few people mention having one, but didn't get a cold clear review (I'm sure it's there somewhere).  However one of the posters mentioned a review at http://www.itproportal.com/reviews/tablets/kobo-aura-hd-review/ which answered my concerns virtually to a tee.

The short and long of it is that the Aura is a very nice device, the software is decent to good, but they didn't feel like it had tangible differences from the Glo and KPW (NSTG wasn't mentioned) to justify the price tag for the person looking to just have a good ereader. 

I was also wondering about how the back felt, and they sort of hemmed and hawed around it saying it was good but not good at the same time.

All said I think I'll pass on the Aura.  My NSTG works fine, and the major draw from the Aura was the increased PPI. 

http://www.wired.com/reviews/2013/05/kobo-aura-hd/

This review says the screen is noticeably better than the PW, and that the back ridges make it comfortable to hold, but only if you're right-handed.  I'm a leftie.  That and the cheap appearance of the plastics as opposed to the soft-touch feel of the NST has me holding off on the Aura, even tho I'd love to have that screen.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Why exactly do we need color screens on eReaders?

I think perhaps 95% of the books in print today are in black and white.

keriflur
0 Kudos

5ivedom wrote:

Why exactly do we need color screens on eReaders?

I think perhaps 95% of the books in print today are in black and white.

I'm guessing you don't have little kids?

flyingtoastr
Topics: 52
Kudos: 2,855
0 Kudos

The holy grail of screen tech is a screen with the outdoor visibility and battery life of an ePaper display combined with the sharpness and refresh rate of an LCD. A color eInk screen (or electrowetting display, or what have you) is another step along that path.

If you could combine a Triton 2 with the fast-refresh drivers developed for the NST (without the accompanying burn-out problems) you'd be pretty close to an eInk "reader" that runs everything a media tablet does. Though the current tech (both Liquivista and Triton) leave a lot to be desired in color saturation.

bobstro
0 Kudos

Interesting to read the review suggesting that the Aura is meant to be a "luxury" model. While I haven't seen anything from Kobo saying as much, it'll be interesting to see if there's any merit to the idea that discerning readers will pay more for "the ultimate reading machine". Kudos to Kobo for putting up a fight in the eink arena. 

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Pretty much everything I've seen about the Aura has it marked as a premium or luxery item.  Kobo themselves have it billed as 'the only premium ereader'.

keriflur
0 Kudos

It's also supposedly a limited edition, though I haven't seen anything stating for how long it will be available.

Distinguished Correspondent
northlite

I have the Aura HD. I preordered it so I've had it since April 22, and have read about 15 books on it so far. It's my favorite ereader ever! The size is quite nice...but it's the screen that wins the day. Hands down better than my Paperwhite, Kobo Glo, or my Nook Glow. the lighting is so even...no distracting blotches etc, and the light can be turned off completely if not needed (unlike the Paperwhite). Text is gorgeous on it. There are a ton of extra font adjustments over what you see on Nook or Kindle, and you can easily add your own fonts. I love the thing. Yes, it cost more than my Nook Glowlight or K Paperwhite, but it was worth it. I realize this is one person's opinion...but I'm really happy with it.
My Nook Touch is named Buzz Lightyear! Together we go to infinity and beyond! B&N, please restore the ability to name our Nooks!
bobstro
0 Kudos

northlite wrote:
I have the Aura HD. [...]

Northlite, thank you for that quick summary. It's always best to hear from someone with firsthand experience. I'm sure Kobo is not perfect, but it does sound like they've done a good job with this device.

A question: Have you by any chance tried to sideload a B&N DRM locked ebook onto it? FT has indicated that you can pull B&N DRM books into ADE and sideload them that way, but I am just curious whether the device can handle a B&N book directly.

It does sound like Kobo is really focused on improving the reading experience. They've received high marks for their screen illumination and font adjustments for some time. The resolution on the Aura sounds wonderful and well thought out. B&N should take note, especially if the Aura sells well. I really hadn't expected to be eyeing an eink device, but now my curiousity is piqued.

Please keep us updated as you've used the device longer.

keriflur

northlite wrote:
I have the Aura HD. I preordered it so I've had it since April 22, and have read about 15 books on it so far. It's my favorite ereader ever! The size is quite nice...but it's the screen that wins the day. Hands down better than my Paperwhite, Kobo Glo, or my Nook Glow. the lighting is so even...no distracting blotches etc, and the light can be turned off completely if not needed (unlike the Paperwhite). Text is gorgeous on it. There are a ton of extra font adjustments over what you see on Nook or Kindle, and you can easily add your own fonts. I love the thing. Yes, it cost more than my Nook Glowlight or K Paperwhite, but it was worth it. I realize this is one person's opinion...but I'm really happy with it.

Thanks for giving feedback! 

Can you tell us - How do you feel about the build quality, and how does the device feel in your hand when you're holding it for a long time?  Do you use a case while you read, or do you read with a naked Aura (yes, I just typed that)?  Also, are you right- or left-handed?

Inspired Correspondent
bugeek
0 Kudos

the kobo aura looks interesting and we'll made. Ideal for pdfs. Think it's display is the one used for triton 2 color without the filter that cuts the resolution seriously to display meh color
Inspired Wordsmith
taosaur
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:

Interesting to read the review suggesting that the Aura is meant to be a "luxury" model. While I haven't seen anything from Kobo saying as much, it'll be interesting to see if there's any merit to the idea that discerning readers will pay more for "the ultimate reading machine". Kudos to Kobo for putting up a fight in the eink arena. 

Those reviews are mainly from EU and Australasia where both the absolute price and price relative to other front-lit e-readers is considerably higher, approaching $300 USD. The $169 US price might give some people pause when they consider that they could have a low-end tablet for not much more, but it's decidedly a fair price for the hardware. 

Inspired Correspondent
Pie-Is-Tasty
0 Kudos

This might be a little ambitious, but here goes:

1) Color e-Ink. Some undeveloped e-Ink types do not display whites as "white." However, the highly developed Triton 2 displays colors in pretty good quality.

2) Higher resolution screen! The current resolution is not bad, but it's NOWHERE NEAR as good as the resolutions on the Kindle Paperwhite and the Kobo Aura HD.

3) Web browser, email? If the rumor that BN is software updating the NST and the NST Glowlight on June 1 with web browser and email plays out right, then the new eInk model should have the web browser and email plus MORE.

4) Add good reading related apps, like maybe Goodreads.

5) Have speakers? Or maybe just a headphone jack so you can listen to music while reading?

"Life is sweet. I like candy." - Confucious :smileyhappy: