New User
gatewood
0 Kudos

where to get mp4 videos for Nook Color

We went with the Nook Color because the salesperson told us it could play videos. That would make it great for entertaining the kids on car rides, etc. We expected we would be able to buy TV shows and movies and put them on our Nook, much like we use our iTouch today.  However, we have been completely unsuccessful in this effort. Is it possible to buy a show for the NC anywhere?

B&N Bookseller
RedRapier
0 Kudos

Re: where to get mp4 videos for Nook Color

see the followiing thread:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-General-Discussion/DVD-Converter/m-p/767388#U767388

my life is a Soap Opera, and I want a new head writer!
New User
brzk
0 Kudos

I was also told nook color would have the ability to download movies. Is this so at the present time and if not will it be in the near future.

B&N Bookseller
RedRapier
0 Kudos

brzk wrote:

I was also told nook color would have the ability to download movies. Is this so at the present time and if not will it be in the near future.

it will handle the MP4 format, see the thread I linked to above

my life is a Soap Opera, and I want a new head writer!
Inspired Wordsmith
donc13
0 Kudos

brzk wrote:

YOU have the ability to load movies onto the NC, and yes, you COULD download a movie if it is in the correct format, and you can get to the download via the web browser.

I have converted (using free software) and loaded several movies onto my NC and they play perfectly.

---------
Don
Reader
JHM286
0 Kudos

in order for you to be able to watch movies on your NC you need to convert them into mp4's you can download real player (which is free) and convert the files. fyi you will need a program to down movies from a dvd to your computer (this is called ripping a file)

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

Right.  Rip the DVD (gets the vob files off the disk) then transcode (combines and converts vobs to mp4).   Be aware that max horizontal resolution for NC mp4 files appears to be 720. 

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Wordsmith
irunlikeagirl
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Here is what I do.  I will start by saying this looks like a lot of steps, but it is easy as pie.  Once you do it a couple of times it goes super fast!  I got it off of "crackberry.com" and I've used it for a couple of years to download movies to my Blackberry, but the process is the same for NC, with a couple of changes that are noted in my directions.  You will need to download the trial versions of DVDFab (I liked it enough to buy it and am so glad I did, but used the trial version for as long as I could) and Handbrake, which I think is still free.  Both are totally safe....I've used them for a couple of years now.  I have put a bunch of movies on my Nook Color and they look amazing!

TOOLS NEEDED… Download and install both of these free programs. (DVDFab can be upgraded to a “Platinum Edition” for a cost but that is unnecessary)

DVDFab HD Decrypter.  http://www.dvdfab.com/hd-decrypter.htm  This is free. 

Handbrake 0.9.4 HandBrake http://handbrake.fr/  Also free, last time I checked.

DIRECTIONS

First: Create 2 folders on your computer.  One for DVDFab  and one for NookColor Videos.

Then: Insert the DVD you want to rip into your disc drive.

Finally: Open up DVDFab and click on either the DVDFab HD Decrypter or DVD to DVD option.  Both do the same job.

Once you click on the “Start DVDFAb HD Decrypter” it will begin to scan your disc drives. It should locate the DVD.

*1* I suggest hitting the stop button in the bottom right of the program to stop the previewing of the disc.

*2* Make sure you have the right source chosen with DVD you would like to rip. (your movie)

*3* Pay attention and know where your movie is going to be ripped to (TARGET). Make sure you send it to your DVDFab folder.

*4* Next click on the “Main Movie” tab on left side of the program.

*5* In the box that has Title (Angle)…Play Time…Chapter…Aspect Ratio, choose the one that has the time duration of the actual movie.

*6* In the box that has Audio…Language… Type… Extension. Choose the one that says AC-3/2 and deselect the rest. Before you move on, click the play button the bottom left corner of the program to make sure you selected the correct audio. There may be 2 AC-3/2 and one of these may be the director’s commentary. So as an extra precautionary measure, please preview the selections before you continue.You may have to do this a couple of times before it clicks in correctly.  Just scan ahead in the movie to make sure there is no directors commentary.

*7* In the box below that unselect any language settings so that you don’t get subtitles. (you have to make sure that the boxes are unchecked and nothing is highlighted either.)

*8* Click the "Next" button in the bottom right of the program.

Then...

*1* Make sure you have the “Copy DVD-Video (Video_TS folder)” selected and nothing else.

*2* Click Start and wait for it to finish.

Close out when done and open Handbrake

HANDBRAKE Directions

*1* Click the Source button on the top toolbar. Choose the DVD/ Video_TS Folder. This will automatically fill in the title, chapter etc… info.

*2* Under Presets (to the right), select Iphone and Ipod Touch setting

*3* Destination: click on “browse” and select your Storm Videos folder.  Name the movie and save it as mp4.  It will appear as m4v in your destination section of Handbrake, so you’ll need to manually rename the end to .mp4

*4* Output Settings

Container

Make sure MP4 is selected.  Leave everything else unchecked. If this changes your file back to m4v, just  rename it again.

Ignore Picture and Video Filters settings and skip to Video.  I included some cropping notes for Nook Color at the end of these instructions.

Video

Video Codec

-Make sure MPEG-4 is selected.  If not, select it.  This may make your file name change back to m4v.  If so, make sure you rename it to .mp4 again!

-Framerate leave as “same as source”

-Click “two pass encoding”

Quality

-leave “Target Size” blank.

-In the Avg Bitrate (kbps) box type 500. (500 keeps the file size down but the picture is still fantastic. If the picture is inadequate for you, you can raise this number which will make the file larger)

-Leave “Constant Quality” as is

Audio (only change the following settings…leave all else as is)

In the "Mixdown" drop down box choose stereo.

In the "Samplerate (kHz)" drop down box choose auto.

In the "Bitrate (Kbps)" drop down box choose 64.

You don’t need to do anything with the Subtitles, Chapters or Advanced settings

You are now ready to click Start.

Once Handbrake has finished encoding, locate the file and copy it over to your Nook Color.  Simply connect your NC to the computer, open the Nook, open My Files, and the the Videos folder.  Just drop the file into your Videos Folder.  It will take about 1 1/2 min to copy and then you are good to go.

NOTE:  This will copy your video as is.  So if you have the widescreen version, you are going to get black bars at the top and bottom of your NC screen.  I've played around with this and have gotten a good picture by changing the Picture settings in Handbrake to the following:

Picture: 640 x 360

Left and Right crop: 65

Top and Bottom crop: 40

Might not be to your liking, but works for me.  It is something you can play around with to see what you think.  Good luck!

New User
Brawn
0 Kudos

Question - why do you have to go through the extra steps of converting a second time on handbrake?  I havent tried it yet, but I know dvdfab has an ipod/itouch option (as well as dvd to to mp4 file option) that converts a dvd directly to an mp4.

Wouldnt that work as well and eliminate steps?

Thanks,

~Bryan

Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

gatewood wrote:

We went with the Nook Color because the salesperson told us it could play videos. That would make it great for entertaining the kids on car rides, etc. We expected we would be able to buy TV shows and movies and put them on our Nook, much like we use our iTouch today.  However, we have been completely unsuccessful in this effort. Is it possible to buy a show for the NC anywhere?

Unfortunately, there is no way to purchase movies that will play directly on the Nook Color. The movies that can be obtained, such as the ones you get from iTunes, or those "Digital Copies" found on some DVDs and Blurays are wrapped in a form of protection that is not supported on the Nook (or most other devices) so you are basically forced to convert your own content.

You can visit www.archive.org a website that contains a lot of older movies and TV shows, all of which can be downloaded for free.

Inspired Contributor
dtmarshall
0 Kudos

I happen to know that EVERY SINGLE episode of mst3k is available free from the people who produced them. What more could I possibly want? :smileyhappy:
Don't Panic.
Wordsmith
irunlikeagirl
0 Kudos

I was just using the HD Decrypter and then Handbrake as the process for both is fairly quick.  I didn't even realize you could just rip with an Itouch setting.  I am going to try it now and will report on how long it takes, quality of picture, etc...

Thanks!

Wordsmith
irunlikeagirl
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Brawn wrote:

Question - why do you have to go through the extra steps of converting a second time on handbrake?  I havent tried it yet, but I know dvdfab has an ipod/itouch option (as well as dvd to to mp4 file option) that converts a dvd directly to an mp4.

Wouldnt that work as well and eliminate steps?

Thanks,

~Bryan

OK...I tried to rip the DVD just using DVDFab and no matter what setting I tried (ipod, itouch, iphone, just mpeg4) it rips great to the computer and shows it is an mp4 file, and it will let me transfer it to the nook, but the nook can't open it. 

If anyone figures out a way to convert dvds to mp4s that are playable on the Nook just using DVDFab, please let me know. 

Until then, I'll keep using my old method (DVDFab and then Handbrake).  Thanks!

Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

if its just free you want, you can use DVD Catalyst Free for Droid.

Files created with that will work fine on the Nook as well, but you will miss some additional features such as black border removal.

Frequent Contributor
greatjava
0 Kudos

You also can use online websites to convert "online videos" (youtube & others) and download an mp4 of them. I think for most the steps outlined below with handbrake are the way to go with many sources you already have on your computer, but if you wanted some online stuff this is an option to get it on the NC.

http://nooktalk.net/how-to/how-to-save-or-download-youtube-online-videos-on-the-nookcolor

Cheers

Inspired Scribe
riffrafff
0 Kudos

If you're using Firefox, the "Easy Youtube Video Downloader 4.0" extension will allow you to download a Youtube video as an MP4 file.

COME...to the Dark Side.

We have cookies.
Reader 4
Guyfumble
0 Kudos

Sorry guys, I didn't see this listed anywhere else. I started to use handbrake and then realized that I have a 64 bit computer and apparently there is some kind of issue with Handbrake and 64 bit. Does anyone have any other software that they can recommend since I am stuck on that issue? Thank you all for your time.

Frequent Contributor
justsayyes
0 Kudos

For Mac users, I use the 64 bit version of Handbrake, "Universal" preset setting.  The only changes to Universal I make are to set the video:  Anamorphic to 'none', and set the audio to 192kbps STEREO (AAC) and "None" for track two.  Works great with no noticeable lip sync issues and sound just fine, even with good headphones (hence the higher bit rate).

Once done, I just copy the file from the Mac to my MicroSD card's VIDEO folder and the NC's Gallery program (see Extras) finds it just fine.  The resulting MP4 file is basically full DVD resolution (though with lossy compression) and as good as B&N allows to play on the NC, which is NOT the full resolution of the screen, but looks great nonetheless.

BTW, any video file that you have for your iPod Touch or iPhone will also work.

Distinguished Correspondent
MiniMischief
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'm not sure if DVD Catalyst works with 64 bit.  Maybe our DVD Catalyst support guy can answer that. :smileyhappy:

Life is too short to read bad books. . .
Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

MiniMischief wrote:

I'm not sure if DVD Catalyst works with 64 bit.  Maybe our DVD Cstalyst support guy can answer that. :smileyhappy:

It does work fine on 64bit but unfortunately, there is an issue with certain AMD 64bit processors and MP4 files I ran into a couple of weeks ago.

The problem is that when you convert to H264/AVC MP4 files with either DVD Catalyst, Handbrake or Clone DVD Mobile (all 3 use a similar conversion engine) the conversion will fail/crash if the computer has one of the problematic processors. (I used a Dell laptop for testing this)

I released a "beta" version right before x-mas on my website, which main fix was to eliminate this particular problem, however, I recommend for people to actually have this issue to just select the one of the "fast" profiles in DVD Catalyst, or select mpeg4-sp/ffmpeg in other conversion tools, which, besides converting faster, will not have the crash-issue.

The problem only happens on a select few AMD 64bit processors, released within the last couple of months.