Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

About "The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen" and Syrie James

The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen by Syrie James

Photo: The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen

What if, hidden in an old attic chest, Jane Austen's memoirs were discovered after hundreds of years? What if those pages revealed the untold story of a life-changing love affair? That's the premise behind this spellbinding novel, which delves into the secrets of Jane Austen's life, giving us untold insights into her mind and heart.

Jane Austen has given up her writing when, on a fateful trip to Lyme, she meets the well-read and charming Mr. Ashford, a man who is her equal in intellect and temperament. Inspired by the people and places around her, and encouraged by his faith in her, Jane begins revising Sense and Sensibility, a book she began years earlier, hoping to be published at last.

Deft and witty, written in a style that echoes Austen's own, this unforgettable novel offers a delightfully possible scenario for the inspiration behind this beloved author's romantic tales. It's a remarkable book, irresistible to anyone who loves Jane Austen and to anyone who loves a great story.

About Syrie James: Syrie James is a Jane Austen scholar and a long-time admirer of Ms. Austen's work. A member of the Writer's Guild of America, Syrie is an award winning playwright and screenwriter; this is her first work of historical fiction. She, her husband and their two sons live in Los Angeles. Syrie welcomes visitors and messages at her Web site at www.syriejames.com.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Re: About "The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen" and Syrie James

a man who is her equal in intellect and temperament.

Well, that tells us right away that this is a work of fiction. There could never be any male her equal in both intellect and temperament. :smileyhappy:
0 Kudos

Perhaps it is the hopeful romantic in me, and I realize I am about to sound like Forest Gump here, but like mama said never say never. Anything is possible and if you want to tempt fate use the word "never". lol =0)
Rachael
-that saddest words in tong and pen are to wonder what could have been. Lucy M. Montgomery
Frequent Contributor
Chalie_B
0 Kudos

Rachael_Grimes wrote:
Perhaps it is the hopeful romantic in me, and I realize I am about to sound like Forest Gump here, but like mama said never say never. Anything is possible and if you want to tempt fate use the word "never". lol =0)

Always glad to see a literary discussion that starts with a lame castigation of the opposite sex. Jane would be thrilled. Now, about the book...
New User
Bruce_Gomes
0 Kudos

Everyman wrote:
a man who is her equal in intellect and temperament.

Well, that tells us right away that this is a work of fiction. There could never be any male her equal in both intellect and temperament. :smileyhappy:

In response to

"...a man who is her equal in intellect and temperament."

You indicated;

> Well, that tells us right away that this is a work of fiction. There
> could never be any male her equal in both intellect and temperament.

To be a more precise; There could never be any male her equal in *either* intellect and temperament.
Frequent Contributor
Chalie_B
0 Kudos

What makes me curious is how many, and how continual, are the "after Austin" books, movies and errata. I can't think of anything like it, except the abominable post "Gone with the Wind" stuff. Why are people creating it?

One awful theory: Women have not truly adopted the contracorrolary to "... a single man of good fortune, must be in want of a wife" which is that "a woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle." Are all these books keeping alive the myth that Jane was inalterably constant about the truth that men are to provide for women, and women are to be provided for by men? I said it was an awful theory. No flames, please.

There must be a feminist take on this proliferation of post-Austin propaganda. Anyone?
Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Chalie,

I'm not sure what you mean by "propaganda"--a fairly offensive term. Austen's novels are tremendously enjoyable and have stayed popular. If you're asking whether feminist readings are possible of the novels, I can say that I've had a number of conversations with women friends who were great Austen fans on that very subject over the last couple of decades, so I'm inclined to think those questions are central issues in the novels themselves.

What about the romance we get in Syrie James' novel? Does it address issues of how women are treated socially and economically in Austen's time and place? Does this novel point to traditional or subversive solutions? Is that a part of what we're reading for?

Women living without men (as the fish without the bikes) is certainly one of the options considered by the characters in this novel--over and over in fact!
New User
Cristabl
0 Kudos

I think that it's a fascinating take on this subject. Jane Austen is a mysterious figure. Her letters were mostly destroyed and who she was remains a mystery to this day. While biographers have been able to cull together many of the details of her life, there are still so many aspects that remain a mystery today. I think the idea of finding a lost memoir, to perhaps better understand the woman behind the timeless words, is fascinating.
Inspired Contributor
foxycat
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Except that it's been done any number of times in the past few years, including a film. I think it all boils down to one thing: money. Ditto the awful sequel to GWTW.

As for the quote about the fish from Steinem, it was made early in the Women's Movement, and she withdrew it years later, saying it had been too extreme. We all did over-the-top things in the early days. Steinem married finally when she was 60. We still find uses for the bicycle, if not financial support.

I think there are feminist underpinnings in her novels, as much as they could have in that era. Her heroines want love and marriage, but they're also intelligent, often well-spoken. They never compromise for a marriage where they will be a doormat.

Cristabl wrote:
I think that it's a fascinating take on this subject. Jane Austen is a mysterious figure. Her letters were mostly destroyed and who she was remains a mystery to this day. While biographers have been able to cull together many of the details of her life, there are still so many aspects that remain a mystery today. I think the idea of finding a lost memoir, to perhaps better understand the woman behind the timeless words, is fascinating.

Message Edited by foxycat on 01-23-2008 12:09 AM
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. --Oscar Wilde

Author
SyrieJames
0 Kudos

Exciting news! Lost Memoirs is an International bestseller

I'm thrilled to report that The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen debuted at #5 on the Jan. 19 bestseller list in the Toronto Globe and Mail, Canada's national newspaper. You can view the listing at:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20080119.BKBEST19/TPStory/?query=BESTSellers+Januar...

Learn more about
The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen

Visit www.syriejames.com
Frequent Contributor
CanTri
0 Kudos

foxycat wrote:
I think there are feminist underpinnings in her novels, as much as they could have in that era. Her heroines want love and marriage, but they're also intelligent, often well-spoken. They never compromise for a marriage where they will be a doormat.

Cristabl wrote:

Ah Yes, but that IS the definition of a feminist. A couple of my favourite quotes:

I have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is; I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat." - Rebecca West, 1913

Feminism is the Radical Notion that Women are People.
Frequent Contributor
KristyR
0 Kudos

Re: Exciting news! Lost Memoirs is an International bestseller

SyrieJames wrote:
I'm thrilled to report that The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen debuted at #5 on the Jan. 19 bestseller list in the Toronto Globe and Mail, Canada's national newspaper. You can view the listing at:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20080119.BKBEST19/TPStory/?query=BESTSellers+Januar...

Congratulations Syrie, how exciting!
Inspired Contributor
foxycat
0 Kudos

That's what I said. Also:

Women who seek to be equal with men lack ambition.

In a recent Harris On-line poll 38,562 men across the US were asked to identify woman's ultimate fantasy. They concluded that a woman's ultimate fantasy is to have two men at once. While this has been verified by a recent sociological study, it appears that most men do not realize that in this fantasy, one man is cooking and the other is cleaning. --source unknown.

CanTri wrote:

foxycat wrote:

Cristabl wrote:

Ah Yes, but that IS the definition of a feminist. A couple of my favourite quotes:

I have never been able to find out precisely what feminism is; I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat." - Rebecca West, 1913

Feminism is the Radical Notion that Women are People.

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. --Oscar Wilde

Frequent Contributor
CanTri
0 Kudos

In a recent Harris On-line poll 38,562 men across the US were asked to identify woman's ultimate fantasy. They concluded that a woman's ultimate fantasy is to have two men at once. While this has been verified by a recent sociological study, it appears that most men do not realize that in this fantasy, one man is cooking and the other is cleaning. --source unknown.

HAHA LOL
Thanks for sharing that one.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

CanTri wrote:

HAHA LOL
Thanks for sharing that one.

I do love that one!