Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Wordsmith
Fozzie
Posts: 2,404
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: 1-20 Viva and William


vivico1 wrote:

Viva is an interesting character. She seems to be hiding a lot. I wonder what or why? And why is she so secretive about how her family died?

 

I have a feeling something from her past is pursuing her and pushing her to go on this trip.

 

I am getting a feeling this book is going to have a lot to do with how women were treated in this time period in these places, and how they perceived themselves too. The men may secondary in a way to telling that story of these women/girls. Anyone else feel the same way?


Vivian, I agree with what you wrote here.  I am very curious to learn about Viva's past and what really happened.  I think India is pulling her to India more than England is pushing her away from England.

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Wordsmith
Fozzie
Posts: 2,404
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: East of the Sun: Early Chapters, 1 - 20


eadieburke wrote:

 

It seems a lot of women in the 1920's were just afraid of never marrying and so just settled on the first guy they met and lived with the consequences of an unhappy marriage for the rest of their lives.

 


Yes, definitely.  That is why Rose and Tor are part of the fishing fleet.  I can't imagine being in such a position!

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Wordsmith
Fozzie
Posts: 2,404
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: 1-20 Guy


vivico1 wrote:

Hey, why is Guy's parents in India? Anyone catch that yet? If so but it is past chapter 20, don't say here, it might involve a spoiler, just wondering.


I don't think we know.  At least I don't.  I assume his father is in the military.

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Wordsmith
Fozzie
Posts: 2,404
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: 1-20 Viva and William


CathyB wrote:

Julia_Gregson wrote:

I enjoyed the irony of 'Tor actually bagging such a wonderful man.  He sort of arrived in the book unannounced, and `I would have fallen for him too.

 

Julia 


Yes, I liked this too. Everyone kept saying she was just trying too hard and when she finally stopped, she got the best thing!


 

Eeee gads!  Big spoiler for those of us only through the first 20 chapters!
Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: 1-20 Viva and William

Yes! Yes! CathyB and Julia, this thread is only for things up through chapter 20, this was a big spoiler for me too! We need to all be very careful about writing spoilers to any part of the book that is not on the chapter threads listed. or at least at the very first of our messages write something like ***SPOILER ALERT TO CHAPTER..., (whatever, or ending)****

 


Fozzie wrote:

CathyB wrote:

Julia_Gregson wrote:

I enjoyed the irony of 'Tor actually bagging such a wonderful man. He sort of arrived in the book unannounced, and `I would have fallen for him too.

 

Julia


Yes, I liked this too. Everyone kept saying she was just trying too hard and when she finally stopped, she got the best thing!


 

Eeee gads! Big spoiler for those of us only through the first 20 chapters!

 

 

Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Inspired Wordsmith
CathyB
Posts: 271
Registered: ‎12-30-2006
0 Kudos

Re: 1-20 Viva and William


vivico1 wrote:

Yes! Yes! CathyB and Julia, this thread is only for things up through chapter 20, this was a big spoiler for me too! We need to all be very careful about writing spoilers to any part of the book that is not on the chapter threads listed. or at least at the very first of our messages write something like ***SPOILER ALERT TO CHAPTER..., (whatever, or ending)****

 


...

 

 


 

Sorry

Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: 1-20 Viva and William

Well Cathy, maybe this one will give me something to look forward to at least. :smileywink: But you know how we can get in here about having some details of the books revealed to us, the old "the butler did it!" syndrome lol. Some time ago, I posted a spoiler, didn't even know it was one at that point and yikes! I was stalked in pm's by this woman who would not drop it! She called me about everything you could get away with in here, and then some LOL! I felt bad, I tried to get a mod to remove it before anymore saw it, but still, for some it was too late. I had to block my stalker, she made me feel so bad, then she just got annoying. Wonder where she is these days..hmmmm LOL. But I did let Laura say something first this time hehehe.

 


CathyB wrote:

vivico1 wrote:

Yes! Yes! CathyB and Julia, this thread is only for things up through chapter 20, this was a big spoiler for me too! We need to all be very careful about writing spoilers to any part of the book that is not on the chapter threads listed. or at least at the very first of our messages write something like ***SPOILER ALERT TO CHAPTER..., (whatever, or ending)****

 


...

 

 


 

Sorry


 

 

Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Author
Julia_Gregson
Posts: 108
Registered: ‎06-03-2009
0 Kudos

Re: 1-20 Guy

A clue: put the kettle on.

Julia
Author
Julia_Gregson
Posts: 108
Registered: ‎06-03-2009
0 Kudos

Re: 1-20 Guy

A clue: put the kettle on.Julia
Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: 1-20 Guy

what? lol, what post is this about Julia? Is this maybe a clue to why Guy's parents are in India? That was one of the most recent questions. If so, ahhhhh I get it, I know why they were there then but I won't say at this point in the book then. If its not about that, I don't know what you mean lol.

 


Julia_Gregson wrote:
A clue: put the kettle on.Julia

 

 

Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
Posts: 3,653
Registered: ‎03-23-2009
0 Kudos

Re: 1-20 Guy

 

OK, I think I know what it could be if the clue is about Guy's parents.

Otherwise I was thinking the post from Julia was a clue to what we could expect later in the book. I didn't think the clue post from Julia was an answer to a question.

This is fun.:smileyvery-happy:


vivico1 wrote:

what? lol, what post is this about Julia? Is this maybe a clue to why Guy's parents are in India? That was one of the most recent questions. If so, ahhhhh I get it, I know why they were there then but I won't say at this point in the book then. If its not about that, I don't know what you mean lol.

 


Julia_Gregson wrote:
A clue: put the kettle on.Julia

 

 


 

 
Wordsmith
Fozzie
Posts: 2,404
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: 1-20 Guy

I have yet another interpretation.  It ties to the book, but I think requires knowing a bit about the British people.  I lived in England for 18 months, and experienced first hand how people in England like their tea.  When I had a baby in the hospital, there was a special tea cart that went around to the rooms in the hospital a couple of times a day.  I don't think I entered a home in England without being offered tea.  Everyone had an electric kettle but me. 

 

Anyway, back to what Julia meant, or what I think anyway.  She means she has to make tea because that's what all Englash people do when anything goes wrong.  They stall, put on some tea, drink it, and then deal with the issue at hand.

 

I think it was Tor who referred to her mother doing this type of thing in the book.  I didn't mark the passage, but Tor was reflecting on some crisis and thougth about how her mother did not deal with it directly, but did as she always did --- put on a pot of tea.

 


pen21 wrote:

 

OK, I think I know what it could be if the clue is about Guy's parents.

Otherwise I was thinking the post from Julia was a clue to what we could expect later in the book. I didn't think the clue post from Julia was an answer to a question.

This is fun.:smileyvery-happy:


vivico1 wrote:

what? lol, what post is this about Julia? Is this maybe a clue to why Guy's parents are in India? That was one of the most recent questions. If so, ahhhhh I get it, I know why they were there then but I won't say at this point in the book then. If its not about that, I don't know what you mean lol.

 


Julia_Gregson wrote:
A clue: put the kettle on.Julia

 

 


 

 

 

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Author
Julia_Gregson
Posts: 108
Registered: ‎06-03-2009
0 Kudos

Re: 1-20 Viva and William

Damn, sorry, I wasn't thinking straight.  Julia
Author
Julia_Gregson
Posts: 108
Registered: ‎06-03-2009
0 Kudos

Re: 1-20 Viva and William

Sorry Cathy, and take your point. Is it possible for me to get this comment removed  ? Julia  

 

 

 

Author
Julia_Gregson
Posts: 108
Registered: ‎06-03-2009
0 Kudos

Re: 1-20 Guy

All it is, is a clue as to why they are there. See P. 5.

Yes, you're right, we English are completely obsessed by tea.  My husband was a tea taster and mixes up three blends of loose tea  to get the perfect cup.

I give the recipe here:

Take one third Jasmine tea

one third Earl Grey,

One third Assam.

 

get a piece of newspaper, dump the tea on it, and  mix the teas  together with your hands.  One teaspoon per person (some say one for the pot) add boiling water, and let steep for four minutes.  Divine, the day for me can't start without it.  

Julia 

Inspired Wordsmith
CathyB
Posts: 271
Registered: ‎12-30-2006
0 Kudos

Re: 1-20 Guy


Julia_Gregson wrote:

All it is, is a clue as to why they are there. See P. 5.

Yes, you're right, we English are completely obsessed by tea.  My husband was a tea taster and mixes up three blends of loose tea  to get the perfect cup.

I give the recipe here:

Take one third Jasmine tea

one third Earl Grey,

One third Assam.

 

get a piece of newspaper, dump the tea on it, and  mix the teas  together with your hands.  One teaspoon per person (some say one for the pot) add boiling water, and let steep for four minutes.  Divine, the day for me can't start without it.  

Julia 


Julia:

 

   I love tea and would love to learn how to make my own blends. I recently purchased a small book that I thought would teach me - it had a few 'recipes'. My officemate is from India, her mother makes a chai blend that she took in for me and gave me the recipe - I have yet to make it myself as I need to finish all the tea I have before making anymore purchases. Like books, tea is another obsession of mine.

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
Posts: 3,653
Registered: ‎03-23-2009
0 Kudos

Re: 1-20 Guy

 Julia, thank you for the tea blend. I love to brew some tea and have it while I read my books. I agree that tea is the perfect way to start the day. I have a Teavana store near me that sells loose tea and makes special blends. So the last few years I have been learning more about tea and what wonderful blends I need to try. 

 

CathyB,  I agree with you what you said "Like books, tea is another obsession of mine." It is easy to become addicted.

 

Luanne

 


CathyB wrote:

Julia_Gregson wrote:

All it is, is a clue as to why they are there. See P. 5.

Yes, you're right, we English are completely obsessed by tea.  My husband was a tea taster and mixes up three blends of loose tea  to get the perfect cup.

I give the recipe here:

Take one third Jasmine tea

one third Earl Grey,

One third Assam.

 

get a piece of newspaper, dump the tea on it, and  mix the teas  together with your hands.  One teaspoon per person (some say one for the pot) add boiling water, and let steep for four minutes.  Divine, the day for me can't start without it.  

Julia 


Julia:

 

   I love tea and would love to learn how to make my own blends. I recently purchased a small book that I thought would teach me - it had a few 'recipes'. My officemate is from India, her mother makes a chai blend that she took in for me and gave me the recipe - I have yet to make it myself as I need to finish all the tea I have before making anymore purchases. Like books, tea is another obsession of mine.

 


 

 

Scribe
vivico1
Posts: 3,456
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: 1-20 Guy

I thought you were eluding to why Guy's parents were there! :smileywink: I used to love tea, well I still do but don't drink any anymore. It gives me tachycardia and that causes other problems. But, being the American that I am hehe, I loved ice tea. I still think it was the most refreshing drink and drank it by the gallons. I love hot tea too and even put cream in it to some people's horror. Ahhhh, what would the English do without Earl Grey! Or Captain Picard of the Star Ship Enterprize hehe.

 

Julia, if you want, you can always link your post to the one you are answering while you are in the reply box. Up at the right of the box you are typing in, you will see where it says quote post, just click on that and it will put the question into your answer so others can tell what your message (anyone's) is in reference too. There is a preview post button there too, to see what you are about to submit.

I think you also posted on here about how to have a comment removed. If it was the one about Tor later in the book, don't worry about it, no one will come after you. :smileywink: You are just finding out with all this what all of us did too when we were new. There are a few things to get used to! But its all good. And we love that you are sharing with us, your recipes even! Very nice! Next Monday, there should be some new threads posted too by the moderator about the next chapters open to talk about too. I know more people were reading this book than have posted so maybe they have been on a long holiday week. If not, maybe they are some of the ones who are viewing these messages and not posting. But we are here, one way or the other and your book is being well received by those I have heard are reading it.

 

I am going to go try to read some more. I have been taking some classes that require a lot of reading and being online. When I get done with that and try to sit down or recline to read our book here, I wind up asleep, LOL. Definitely NOT from the book, but just exhaustion and I WANT to read more darn it! But at least, as I said before, I can sit down and start to read and it may have been a couple of days or so but I can pick right back up with the story, I really love that about the book.

 

OH, another little trick for anyone new in here. If you post something and then you find you want to change something in it but have already submitted it, you have 90 minutes where you can click on the right of your own message, I think it says options (I can't see it right now from in here typing hehe) and then it says edit. Click on that and it will bring your message back up in the reply mode so you can make any changes you want to. I can't tell you how many times I have used that! We have had to tell a few new people too, who signed up in the first look clubs for an ARC book, to use that fast because they have put their whole name, address and home phone number in a post for the world to see, instead of a private message for the moderators! Okie doke, off to read and get something cool to drink, its going to be over 100 in the shade here all week and more. And so humid. I read about these girls in heat like that with out air conditioning, and think, ok, I would be dead of heat stroke before I even got there, forget trying to get through one summer there! 

 


Julia_Gregson wrote:

All it is, is a clue as to why they are there. See P. 5.

Yes, you're right, we English are completely obsessed by tea. My husband was a tea taster and mixes up three blends of loose tea to get the perfect cup.

I give the recipe here:

Take one third Jasmine tea

one third Earl Grey,

One third Assam.

 

get a piece of newspaper, dump the tea on it, and mix the teas together with your hands. One teaspoon per person (some say one for the pot) add boiling water, and let steep for four minutes. Divine, the day for me can't start without it.

Julia


 

 

Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Author
Julia_Gregson
Posts: 108
Registered: ‎06-03-2009
0 Kudos

Re: 1-20 Guy

Hope you'll try Richard's tea, it's a revelation.  Particularly nice served in a bone china cup. J.
Inspired Wordsmith
CathyB
Posts: 271
Registered: ‎12-30-2006
0 Kudos

Re: 1-20 Guy


Julia_Gregson wrote:
Hope you'll try Richard's tea, it's a revelation.  Particularly nice served in a bone china cup. J.

Yes, I am going to give it a try - I have already printed that post.