Reply
Moderator
Rachel-K
Posts: 1,495
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

East of the Sun: Middle Chapters, 20-37

[ Edited ]

Great thanks for your patience, all!

 

I'd like to open up this thread for general discussion of East of the Sun through the end of chapter 37 (where the three friends have met at Ooty). Because all of the characters have gone through a number of changes, I'm going to begin individual threads for them. Please remember to post spoiler warnings!

 

Message Edited by rkubie on 07-16-2009 12:36 AM
Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
Posts: 3,648
Registered: ‎03-23-2009
0 Kudos

Re: East of the Sun: Middle Chapters, 20-40

The twist while they were at Ooty for me was that Guy was there before them. Guy had already found where Viva lived. He has become a bit of a stalker. Tor and Rose do not seem to understand the impact this has on Viva. I am still trying to figure out what part Guy will have in this story.

In Ooty Tor has found another side to Rose, the married side. Tor finds that Rose has a life without her. This happens right at the end of Chapter 37. I felt sorry for Tor at this point. Tor seemed very alone in India at this point in time.

Author
Julia_Gregson
Posts: 108
Registered: ‎06-03-2009
0 Kudos

Re: East of the Sun: Middle Chapters, 20-40

I agree with this, I think Tor feels very desperate at this point:  sense of Middle Wallop and the ghastly mother looming if something doesn't happen, at the same time feeling that Rose is moving away from her.
pen21 wrote:

The twist while they were at Ooty for me was that Guy was there before them. Guy had already found where Viva lived. He has become a bit of a stalker. Tor and Rose do not seem to understand the impact this has on Viva. I am still trying to figure out what part Guy will have in this story.

In Ooty Tor has found another side to Rose, the married side. Tor finds that Rose has a life without her. This happens right at the end of Chapter 37. I felt sorry for Tor at this point. Tor seemed very alone in India at this point in time.


 

Distinguished Correspondent
Thayer
Posts: 195
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: East of the Sun: Middle Chapters, 20-40


Julia_Gregson wrote:
I agree with this, I think Tor feels very desperate at this point:  sense of Middle Wallop and the ghastly mother looming if something doesn't happen, at the same time feeling that Rose is moving away from her.
pen21 wrote:

The twist while they were at Ooty for me was that Guy was there before them. Guy had already found where Viva lived. He has become a bit of a stalker. Tor and Rose do not seem to understand the impact this has on Viva. I am still trying to figure out what part Guy will have in this story.

In Ooty Tor has found another side to Rose, the married side. Tor finds that Rose has a life without her. This happens right at the end of Chapter 37. I felt sorry for Tor at this point. Tor seemed very alone in India at this point in time.


 


 

And I think Tor feels disappointed that her "goals" for the trip have not been realized. She has made no "match," and so feels the pressure of her ultimate return home and the shame that will bring, not to mention the humiliation that her mother will no doubt cause her to feel.
~~Dawn
Live the life you love ~ Love the life you live.
Wordsmith
Fozzie
Posts: 2,404
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: East of the Sun: Middle Chapters, 20-40


pen21 wrote:

I am still trying to figure out what part Guy will have in this story.


I agree.  Not only what you said, but who is Guy --- a mentally ill young man or a perfectly sane, very odd, perhaps dangerous person?  I think he may fit in historically in the book, in the sense that maybe he is part of the All India Muslim League (pg. 275).  I really just don't know.

 

Viva's past is as much a mystery as Guy is.  What really happened to her parents?  I think she has surpressed memories of what really happened, as the mind does often to protect its emotional self. 

 

I also can't help but focus on Jack's statement on pages 178-9:

"I'm afraid the one thing you can rely on in India is that no arrangement ever quite works out."

This statement seems to me to be a bit of foreshadowing.  Things are not going to work out for at least some, if not all of the characters, in India.

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Author
Julia_Gregson
Posts: 108
Registered: ‎06-03-2009
0 Kudos

Re: East of the Sun: Middle Chapters, 20-40

  No spoilers here because Guy is Guy, but when I was thinking about aspects of  his character , I had in my mind a couple of the boys I used to know when young.  My father was in the Airforce, so we, and they, moved constantly.  All these boys had been at boarding schools from an  early age and travelled abroad to see their parents in the holidays.  For some this was exciting, for others it made them insecure and  unsure of their welcome.  They had no fixed place of abode or friends they'd known for years, or even, in some cases, close family in England.

Fozzie wrote:

pen21 wrote:

I am still trying to figure out what part Guy will have in this story.


I agree.  Not only what you said, but who is Guy --- a mentally ill young man or a perfectly sane, very odd, perhaps dangerous person?  I think he may fit in historically in the book, in the sense that maybe he is part of the All India Muslim League (pg. 275).  I really just don't know.

 

Viva's past is as much a mystery as Guy is.  What really happened to her parents?  I think she has surpressed memories of what really happened, as the mind does often to protect its emotional self. 

 

I also can't help but focus on Jack's statement on pages 178-9:

"I'm afraid the one thing you can rely on in India is that no arrangement ever quite works out."

This statement seems to me to be a bit of foreshadowing.  Things are not going to work out for at least some, if not all of the characters, in India.


 


Fozzie wrote:

pen21 wrote:

I am still trying to figure out what part Guy will have in this story.


I agree.  Not only what you said, but who is Guy --- a mentally ill young man or a perfectly sane, very odd, perhaps dangerous person?  I think he may fit in historically in the book, in the sense that maybe he is part of the All India Muslim League (pg. 275).  I really just don't know.

 

Viva's past is as much a mystery as Guy is.  What really happened to her parents?  I think she has surpressed memories of what really happened, as the mind does often to protect its emotional self. 

 

I also can't help but focus on Jack's statement on pages 178-9:

"I'm afraid the one thing you can rely on in India is that no arrangement ever quite works out."

This statement seems to me to be a bit of foreshadowing.  Things are not going to work out for at least some, if not all of the characters, in India.


 

Fozzie wrote:

pen21 wrote:

I am still trying to figure out what part Guy will have in this story.


I agree.  Not only what you said, but who is Guy --- a mentally ill young man or a perfectly sane, very odd, perhaps dangerous person?  I think he may fit in historically in the book, in the sense that maybe he is part of the All India Muslim League (pg. 275).  I really just don't know.

 

Viva's past is as much a mystery as Guy is.  What really happened to her parents?  I think she has surpressed memories of what really happened, as the mind does often to protect its emotional self. 

 

I also can't help but focus on Jack's statement on pages 178-9:

"I'm afraid the one thing you can rely on in India is that no arrangement ever quite works out."

This statement seems to me to be a bit of foreshadowing.  Things are not going to work out for at least some, if not all of the characters, in India.