Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Rachel-K
0 Kudos

East of the Sun, Middle Chapters: Rose and Jack

Did Rose have an accurate impression of Jack before she arrived?

Unlike Tor, Rose expect to be in India for as long as her husband has a career there. How is she adjusting?

Are Rose and Jack ready for this baby?

At this point in the novel, do you have any sympathy for Jack's character?

Do you think he will be able to love Rose? Do you think he will be able to be a "good husband" to her?

Why wouldn't Jack marry Sunita?

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Re: East of the Sun, Middle Chapters: Rose and Jack

I hate to use the word victim, but I think Rose ad Jack are victims of the societal expectations of the time.  Men and women should marry, and marry within their own class, and before they get too old (their early 20's). 

I think Rose had an accurate impression of Jack, how he would act in society at a party in England.  In reality, they didn't know each other at all.

Either the baby will sever the relationsip or be the tie that binds them.

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Correspondent
willowy
0 Kudos

rkubie wrote:

Unlike Tor, Rose expect to be in India for as long as her husband has a career there. How is she adjusting?

Do you think he will be able to love Rose? Do you think he will be able to be a "good husband" to her?

My favorite character in the book was actually Rose, I thought she was such an interesting character. Or maybe I just found her to be such a believable character. When you marry  young and especially when you are on your own for the first time and married, there are so many things you don't know. It can be overwhelming! Then add her moving to a new country and culture....I would imagine that could be beyond overwhelming. She probably didn't have that accurate of a picture of Jack before they were married, they met just a few times and probably were on their best behavior trying to make the best impression.

I had mixed emotions as far as feeling sympathy for Jack. He obviously felt that it wouldn't be socially acceptable for him to marry Sunita even though he loved her. Yet he chose not to be with Sunita, and let that love for her affect how he treated his wife by not letting Rose in. I really loved the end of chapter 31, Rose has been timid and unsure up to this point, but by the end of this chapter you really see her coming into her own.

-----------Willowy----------
Author
Julia_Gregson
0 Kudos

I do think Jack is a bit of a stuffed shirt too, but I have sympathy for him, he's a victim of his class and education .  There is a passionate man waiting to burst free. Sunita helped him with that .
Rose I have deep admiration for. She may look fragile and womanly but she has guts.
willowy wrote:

rkubie wrote:

My favorite character in the book was actually Rose, I thought she was such an interesting character. Or maybe I just found her to be such a believable character. When you marry  young and especially when you are on your own for the first time and married, there are so many things you don't know. It can be overwhelming! Then add her moving to a new country and culture....I would imagine that could be beyond overwhelming. She probably didn't have that accurate of a picture of Jack before they were married, they met just a few times and probably were on their best behavior trying to make the best impression.

I had mixed emotions as far as feeling sympathy for Jack. He obviously felt that it wouldn't be socially acceptable for him to marry Sunita even though he loved her. Yet he chose not to be with Sunita, and let that love for her affect how he treated his wife by not letting Rose in. I really loved the end of chapter 31, Rose has been timid and unsure up to this point, but by the end of this chapter you really see her coming into her own.

Author
Julia_Gregson
0 Kudos

I agree they are victims. 
Fozzie wrote:

I hate to use the word victim, but I think Rose ad Jack are victims of the societal expectations of the time.  Men and women should marry, and marry within their own class, and before they get too old (their early 20's). 

I think Rose had an accurate impression of Jack, how he would act in society at a party in England.  In reality, they didn't know each other at all.

Either the baby will sever the relationsip or be the tie that binds them.

Inspired Correspondent
libralady
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I don't think Rose had an accurate picture of Jack before they were married.  They had spent very little time together and I think she may have been a little caught up in the "fantasy" of being someone's wife and moving to a new place.  She was young and probably felt that she was doing what was expected from girl her age.  I think that Rose is adjusting well to married life and life in India.  I think she is very brave and determined to stick it out.  I have not finished the book yet, so this is based on what I have read so far.  I do feel some sympathy for Jack.  I don't know that he will ever be able to love Rose totally.  I think sometimes he has regrets, such as when his commanding officer makes comments about him marrying young and about the baby.  I think he will try to be a good husband and father, however I don't know that he will be able to.  I think the idea of marrying Sunita never occurred to Jack because he did not see her as the type of woman that a man in his position should marry. I think he truly did not want to end up in a situation like his father and he thought he was doing the right thing by breaking it off with her. 
Message Edited by libralady on 07-28-2009 07:24 PM
"Sow today what you want to reap tomorrow"