Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Rachel-K
0 Kudos

East of the Sun, Middle Chapters: Viva

We begin getting glimpses of Viva's childhood with her parents. How much are we able to piece together of her story? Do these flashbacks make her character and childhood any less mysterious for us?

Does Viva's work change her? How would you describe the women she works for, and how do these women compare to the "club" women like Ci Ci?

What are Viva's feelings about love? Does she make negative generalizations about all men? Do you see her attitudes changing?

Is Viva careful enough about her own safety?

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

Re: East of the Sun, Middle Chapters: Viva

Viva's character has grown the most in this part of the book. She has found a job that seems to suit her. Working with the children has brought out another side to her. Viva is a working woman. Viva doesn't have much, but she is making her own way in India. Viva found a good person to work for in Daisy. At this point of the book I haven't decided how Frank should fit into Viva's life. Frank has stepped up to help Viva. I am interested as to his sources and how reliable it all is. But it is all to help Viva, that works for me. I think Viva has more to grow as the book progresses.
Author
Julia_Gregson
0 Kudos

I think Viva , like Guy, has been damaged by the Colonial experience, but I admire her for having the guts to forge another kind of life in India. I think working in a foreign country is such a good thing to do if you want to get underneath its skin.  My neighbour's daughter has just come back from a couple of months in India where she worked in a hospital- she's a medical student.
Her take was so much more interesting than the usual traveller's tales.  She took her copy of East of the Sun with her. J  

rkubie wrote:

We begin getting glimpses of Viva's childhood with her parents. How much are we able to piece together of her story? Do these flashbacks make her character and childhood any less mysterious for us?

Does Viva's work change her? How would you describe the women she works for, and how do these women compare to the "club" women like Ci Ci?

What are Viva's feelings about love? Does she make negative generalizations about all men? Do you see her attitudes changing?

Author
Julia_Gregson
0 Kudos

I'm interested in what you feel about Frank at this point.  Do you see him as rather a lounge lizard, professional charmer, or do you feel he is good?
pen21 wrote:
Viva's character has grown the most in this part of the book. She has found a job that seems to suit her. Working with the children has brought out another side to her. Viva is a working woman. Viva doesn't have much, but she is making her own way in India. Viva found a good person to work for in Daisy. At this point of the book I haven't decided how Frank should fit into Viva's life. Frank has stepped up to help Viva. I am interested as to his sources and how reliable it all is. But it is all to help Viva, that works for me. I think Viva has more to grow as the book progresses.

pen21
0 Kudos

Your question took me some time to think about just Frank's part in the book.

In the first part of the book, Frank seemed to be a flirt with all the girls, this impression came from Viva and Tor's thoughts on Frank. I thought that might be all Frank was going to be. But Frank took a serious interest in helping with Guy on the boat. After they arrived in India, I wasn't sure if Frank would play a part in the book. Now that he is in India, Frank has found a job at a hospital and is the most aware of what is happening in India (a more mature view of India in comparison to the girls). When he contacts Viva with information on Guy, Frank is taking a sincere interest in Viva's welfare. But Frank had to have made an effort to find out more about Guy and to have known that Guy had diagrams to Viva's residence. So is Frank interested in Guy as a clinical subject or is Frank interested in Viva. I think it is a combination of the two at this point of the book.

So my view went from professional charmer to a good person.

Still unsure if Frank would be good for Viva until I find out more about his motives.

Luanne

Julia_Gregson wrote:
I'm interested in what you feel about Frank at this point.  Do you see him as rather a lounge lizard, professional charmer, or do you feel he is good?
pen21 wrote:

Author
Julia_Gregson
0 Kudos

At this point do you see Frank as a good influence on Viva's life, or a distraction?
pen21 wrote:

Author
Julia_Gregson
0 Kudos

Spot on so far!
pen21 wrote:

Your question took me some time to think about just Frank's part in the book.

In the first part of the book, Frank seemed to be a flirt with all the girls, this impression came from Viva and Tor's thoughts on Frank. I thought that might be all Frank was going to be. But Frank took a serious interest in helping with Guy on the boat. After they arrived in India, I wasn't sure if Frank would play a part in the book. Now that he is in India, Frank has found a job at a hospital and is the most aware of what is happening in India (a more mature view of India in comparison to the girls). When he contacts Viva with information on Guy, Frank is taking a sincere interest in Viva's welfare. But Frank had to have made an effort to find out more about Guy and to have known that Guy had diagrams to Viva's residence. So is Frank interested in Guy as a clinical subject or is Frank interested in Viva. I think it is a combination of the two at this point of the book.

Still unsure if Frank would be good for Viva until I find out more about his motives.

Luanne

Julia_Gregson wrote:
pen21 wrote:

pen21
0 Kudos

I do think Frank is a distraction at this point in the book, but I think Viva needed a distraction. Viva is concentrating so hard at surviving, to live on her own and make her own way in India. Viva could use someone who cares about her well being. Someone not like William Philpott, who took advantage of her at a weak time in her life.

Luanne

Julia_Gregson wrote:
At this point do you see Frank as a good influence on Viva's life, or a distraction?
pen21 wrote:

Author
Julia_Gregson
0 Kudos

I agree with this. Frank also has some understanding of the kind of loss at the centre of Viva's life.
pen21 wrote:

I do think Frank is a distraction at this point in the book, but I think Viva needed a distraction. Viva is concentrating so hard at surviving, to live on her own and make her own way in India. Viva could use someone who cares about her well being. Someone not like William Philpott, who took advantage of her at a weak time in her life.

Luanne

Julia_Gregson wrote:
pen21 wrote:

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

rkubie wrote:

I still feel very confused about Viva's past.  That's OK.  I know I'm not supposed to understand her past yet.

I think Viva and Daisy make a great working women pair.  Daisy is serving as a mentor for Viva.

I think subconsciously Viva wants to change her attitude about men, and actually has, but her conscious mind won't give up control quite yet.

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Mine too!

pen21 wrote:

Julia_Gregson wrote:

Laura

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Julia_Gregson wrote:

He is a distraction, but I do think he could be a good influence on Viva's life if she would let him be.  She won't let her guard down for a long enough period of time for him to feel comfortable enough moving the relationship further.

Laura