Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
Julia_Gregson
0 Kudos

Re: East of the Sun: Mrs. Smith Pearse

Finding the right name for each character is, you're right, important, and sometimes tricky.

I sometimes know instinctively what to call someone, and at others have a long search.  I made up the name of Viva, and I think it's a lovely name.

Julia 

Author
Julia_Gregson
0 Kudos

Re: East of the Sun: Questions for Julia Gregson?

I'm not exactly sure of the circumstances, but he was, according to her memoirs, cultured and quite charming, but not interested in women at all in "that" way.

They were together for , I think , a year or two. She was quite innocent of what was going on until a friend instructed her about the realities of most marriages.

She survived it because she was a strong character, but the idea that her own mother must have known must have had a deep effect on their relationship.

Julia 

Author
Julia_Gregson
0 Kudos

Thanks so much for your helpful and much appreciated advice, am going to use the quote post button from now on. By the way, is it normal when you hit the reply button for the screen to contract to half the size ? The options button will also be helpful

What classes are you taking ?  

Now tea: I am having to lie down with burned feathers and smelling salts in order to contemplate cream in it.  Also: what is iced tea all about, a new world abomination as far as I'm concerned ! Julia.

P.S. I know I'm replying to an earlier post, but for some reason cannot find your earlier message . 

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

LOL, I knew how we Americanize drinking tea would get to you hehe. :smileywink: But then that's how I felt when I saw that in Canada they put gravy on french fries...an American staple lol.

I am not sure why your screen is minimizing when you hit reply, it shouldn't. When you say it gets half size, do you mean the whope page gets half size as in minimizing? Because if its doing that for some reason, you might try maximizing it back, up by your red arrow in the very right corner of your screen, like you do for any other time you want to minimize or maximize your screen. If its just the words get about half size and are hard to read to type, you might enlarge the view of the screen. I had to at one time when they made some changes in here. Just hold down Ctrl and hit the plus sign until you get the print size you want, or minus sign to bring it back down. Maybe one of those two things will help, but it shouldn't be changing. Now I will hit the quote post button and it will put your post that I am replying to in here below this. :smileyhappy:

Julia_Gregson wrote:

Thanks so much for your helpful and much appreciated advice, am going to use the quote post button from now on. By the way, is it normal when you hit the reply button for the screen to contract to half the size ? The options button will also be helpful

What classes are you taking ?

Now tea: I am having to lie down with burned feathers and smelling salts in order to contemplate cream in it. Also: what is iced tea all about, a new world abomination as far as I'm concerned ! Julia.

P.S. I know I'm replying to an earlier post, but for some reason cannot find your earlier message .

Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Distinguished Correspondent
Thayer
0 Kudos

Julia_Gregson wrote:

I'm not exactly sure of the circumstances, but he was, according to her memoirs, cultured and quite charming, but not interested in women at all in "that" way.

They were together for , I think , a year or two. She was quite innocent of what was going on until a friend instructed her about the realities of most marriages.

She survived it because she was a strong character, but the idea that her own mother must have known must have had a deep effect on their relationship.

Julia 

hmmmm...this sounds like an interesting storyline for a book!   :smileywink:
~~Dawn
Live the life you love ~ Love the life you live.
Thayer
0 Kudos

Julia,

I am from the deep south and down here we drink sweet iced tea, which is intolerable, and practically a non-entity in the northern states. My grandmother always added a sprig of fresh mint. Very refreshing when the mercury consistently reaches over 100 degrees this time of year.  

~~Dawn
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

SPOILER for page 282

Julia,

I am curious about Tor taking many hot baths and drinking gin to induce a miscarriage.  Is this a method you found in your research?  I have read in other books about women drinking "potions" of different sorts, but never baths.

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Author
Julia_Gregson
0 Kudos

So maybe I'll reserve judgement until the mint has been added. I do actually really like that Moroccan tea very sweet and very minty.  J
Thayer wrote:

Julia,

I am from the deep south and down here we drink sweet iced tea, which is intolerable, and practically a non-entity in the northern states. My grandmother always added a sprig of fresh mint. Very refreshing when the mercury consistently reaches over 100 degrees this time of year.  

Author
Julia_Gregson
0 Kudos

Yes, this was quite common I believe- the gin and the bath. I don't think it was particularly successful . Julia
Fozzie wrote:

SPOILER for page 282

Julia,

I am curious about Tor taking many hot baths and drinking gin to induce a miscarriage.  Is this a method you found in your research?  I have read in other books about women drinking "potions" of different sorts, but never baths.

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hey Julia,

I had to share with you. I started to watch Elephant Walk today on tv with Elizabeth Taylor. I have not seen it in years, if I ever saw it all anyway. When he was taking to his land in India and they talked about stopping by Bombay first and then they drive by his Tea factory, it made me think of your book. Also, the relationship between Elizabeth's character and this husband, who had gone to England and met her and married her there, reminded me of Rose and Jack. Then she gets there and finds out none of the men who show up for a party at their "bungalow" some bungalow!, are married and she is the only white woman there, she is feeling a bit of despair and he says , oh don't worry darling, you won't be lonely. Yeah right! The men all tell her, heck they like her and they need to go to England themselves to get wives. That night, the men stay and are all rowdy and are playing bicycle polo in the house at 2am, she tries again to get him to come up and he is drunk and yells at her. He is not happy to be embarrassed in front of his male friends! I thought, yep, this seems a familiar theme there about then. OH, and the Indian man who takes care of him, does not like her at all. That reminded me of your book too! Unfortunately, I didn't get to finish the movie, AGAIN, I had an appointment, so I still have never seen it through but would have loved to right now with your book. When I got home this evening, I was trying to read some more of the book too and then got a very long call. I am having a hard time getting to finish the book and I want to so much because its such a good book. I sure am glad of your writing style so I can get back to it whenever I can and pick it up and dive into the story again without feeling lost! Do you remember the movie Elephant Walk?

OH, I see we have some new theads!! A bunch up at the top in the darker tan. Yes! Now we can discuss further into the book, and my desire is to maybe even get the book finished this weekend, but if not, I got things to ask about in the other chapters past 20. So thank you for hanging in there with us and please be patient and stick with us. Weekends are slow and I know this week has been since we didn't have new threads, but now that we do, others should be seeing them now too. We are still here and there is more discussion to come, and I see at least one new person too. Hi willowy. :smileywink:

Message Edited by vivico1 on 07-15-2009 11:04 PM
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Author
Julia_Gregson
0 Kudos

Hi,
No, I've never even heard of 'Elephant Walk', but will have a look.  Thinking about what you said, I always think it is so much easier to integrate into a country if you have a job to do there.  I felt that when I moved to New York in the seventies and worked as a correspondent.  The whole city, so alarming when I arrived, was slowly opened up to me. That's why I think men did enjoy India so much on the whole, being part of a male group, having work to do, a reason for living there.
I've had a strange week- my heart started to beat really fast one day- it's called Tachychardia or something- the electrics go temporarily hay-wire, not serious or life threatening, but was  off line for a day or two, but miles better now and looking forward to more messages.
Hope you get more time to read this w.e.  I've been trying to finish Olive Kitteridge, which I'm loving, but life gets in the way ! 

vivico1 wrote:

Hey Julia,

I had to share with you. I started to watch Elephant Walk today on tv with Elizabeth Taylor. I have not seen it in years, if I ever saw it all anyway. When he was taking to his land in India and they talked about stopping by Bombay first and then they drive by his Tea factory, it made me think of your book. Also, the relationship between Elizabeth's character and this husband, who had gone to England and met her and married her there, reminded me of Rose and Jack. Then she gets there and finds out none of the men who show up for a party at their "bungalow" some bungalow!, are married and she is the only white woman there, she is feeling a bit of despair and he says , oh don't worry darling, you won't be lonely. Yeah right! The men all tell her, heck they like her and they need to go to England themselves to get wives. That night, the men stay and are all rowdy and are playing bicycle polo in the house at 2am, she tries again to get him to come up and he is drunk and yells at her. He is not happy to be embarrassed in front of his male friends! I thought, yep, this seems a familiar theme there about then. OH, and the Indian man who takes care of him, does not like her at all. That reminded me of your book too! Unfortunately, I didn't get to finish the movie, AGAIN, I had an appointment, so I still have never seen it through but would have loved to right now with your book. When I got home this evening, I was trying to read some more of the book too and then got a very long call. I am having a hard time getting to finish the book and I want to so much because its such a good book. I sure am glad of your writing style so I can get back to it whenever I can and pick it up and dive into the story again without feeling lost! Do you remember the movie Elephant Walk?

OH, I see we have some new theads!! A bunch up at the top in the darker tan. Yes! Now we can discuss further into the book, and my desire is to maybe even get the book finished this weekend, but if not, I got things to ask about in the other chapters past 20. So thank you for hanging in there with us and please be patient and stick with us. Weekends are slow and I know this week has been since we didn't have new threads, but now that we do, others should be seeing them now too. We are still here and there is more discussion to come, and I see at least one new person too. Hi willowy. :smileywink:

Message Edited by vivico1 on 07-15-2009 11:04 PM

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

I wish you well, be sure to take care of yourself first. Don't worry about us, wecan get by on our own. I was out of town for a few days, as I am sure others will be as the month progresses. It is amazing how our bodies work. I work on medical devices that work with some types of Tachychardia. So I am glad to hear it is not serious and you will have time to join in the discussion. Since I love to read and saw that you are reading Olive Kitteridge, be sure to take time to read.

Luanne

Julia wrote:

I've had a strange week- my heart started to beat really fast one day- it's called Tachychardia or something- the electrics go temporarily hay-wire, not serious or life threatening, but was  off line for a day or two, but miles better now and looking forward to more messages.

Hope you get more time to read this w.e.  I've been trying to finish Olive Kitteridge, which I'm loving, but life gets in the way ! 

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

I don't remember who the male lead is in Elephant Walk, he is an English Actor, just can't think of his name right now. I would love to see that movie all the way through.

I have a panic disorder and I have bouts of Tachycardia. I hate the way it feels but it eventually evens out and gets going right. Nothing I have to take meds for, but one reason I had to stop drinking tea. (Remember I said I used to drink it by the gallon cold?) I had to stop all caffeinated drinks and its amazing how quickly that stopped the episodes for the most part, even with the panic disorder. I do have my chocolate tho lol. Just not as much and its not the same as in tea and coffee and sodas. You take care tho. It can be a rather scary thing.

I would hate to be a stanger in a strange land with no other women to talk to! And for these women who barely know their husbands and are not with them as much as the husbands are with their male friends, that would be rough. I think its a different think when both the husband and the wife are going to a strange land together. They have to rely on each other so much more for everything, including entertainment, moral support and love.

I don't think I could marry a man living in a foreign land, without visiting his home for a period of time and seeing who we are together there, in his world, not just who we are when he is wooing me on my home turf.

Vivian
Inspired Wordsmith
CathyB
0 Kudos

Julia:

I hope you feel better. Take care of yourself.

Author
Julia_Gregson
0 Kudos

Thanks for your kind words, feeling back to normal now!  I went canoeing last weekend and riding with a fellow author, Sadie Jones and her two kids. ( By the way if you haven't read her book, The Outcast, do, it's terrific,) but the point is, I love to be active and sort of take good health for granted.  Never a good idea.
I'm off to a bar in Cairo now, where my current book, Jasmine Nights is set.  J 

pen21 wrote:

I wish you well, be sure to take care of yourself first. Don't worry about us, wecan get by on our own. I was out of town for a few days, as I am sure others will be as the month progresses. It is amazing how our bodies work. I work on medical devices that work with some types of Tachychardia. So I am glad to hear it is not serious and you will have time to join in the discussion. Since I love to read and saw that you are reading Olive Kitteridge, be sure to take time to read.

Luanne

Julia wrote:

Author
Julia_Gregson
0 Kudos

Interesting what  you say abou the tach.  and I do remember you mentioning it in connection with tea. I think you must be very self disciplined to give up caffeine entirely. I find it hard to imagine my life without my morning cup of tea, followed by coffee, but I'm sure you're right. Have you discovered any decent herbal teas ? Most seem too feeble to bother with.
Regarding being a stranger in a strange land.  I was an airforce brat, my father moved every two and a half years, so being somewhere completely out of context feels relatively normal to me. However, I as I get older I start to feel such sympathy for my mother who had to pay pack and follow throughout her married life.  While I was writing East of the Sun I thought about her so much and the strange expatriate life we lived.  
vivico1 wrote:

I don't remember who the male lead is in Elephant Walk, he is an English Actor, just can't think of his name right now. I would love to see that movie all the way through.

I have a panic disorder and I have bouts of Tachycardia. I hate the way it feels but it eventually evens out and gets going right. Nothing I have to take meds for, but one reason I had to stop drinking tea. (Remember I said I used to drink it by the gallon cold?) I had to stop all caffeinated drinks and its amazing how quickly that stopped the episodes for the most part, even with the panic disorder. I do have my chocolate tho lol. Just not as much and its not the same as in tea and coffee and sodas. You take care tho. It can be a rather scary thing.

I would hate to be a stanger in a strange land with no other women to talk to! And for these women who barely know their husbands and are not with them as much as the husbands are with their male friends, that would be rough. I think its a different think when both the husband and the wife are going to a strange land together. They have to rely on each other so much more for everything, including entertainment, moral support and love.

I don't think I could marry a man living in a foreign land, without visiting his home for a period of time and seeing who we are together there, in his world, not just who we are when he is wooing me on my home turf.

Thayer
0 Kudos

Julia_Gregson wrote:
Thanks for your kind words, feeling back to normal now!  I went canoeing last weekend and riding with a fellow author, Sadie Jones and her two kids. ( By the way if you haven't read her book, The Outcast, do, it's terrific,) but the point is, I love to be active and sort of take good health for granted.  Never a good idea.

Julia,

A bar in Cairo sounds intriguing! When will Jasmine Nights  be available in the U.S.?  Sounds right up my alley. haha

Glad to hear you are feeling well.

~~Dawn
Author
Julia_Gregson
0 Kudos

I'm going to check with the  U.S. publishers tomorrow.  I'll  hand it in in August 2010, so it will be published in the U.K. probably towards the end of next year.  
Thayer wrote:

Julia_Gregson wrote:

Julia,

A bar in Cairo sounds intriguing! When will Jasmine Nights  be available in the U.S.?  Sounds right up my alley. haha

Glad to hear you are feeling well.

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

New Thread

Since there hasn't been any new threads, I have posted a new thread titled

East of the Sun - Chapters 38 - end of the book. Please join in.

Please join in and let's discuss the last chapters.

Julia please join us.

Luanne

Author
Julia_Gregson
0 Kudos

Re: New Thread

Will do! J
pen21 wrote:

Since there hasn't been any new threads, I have posted a new thread titled

East of the Sun - Chapters 38 - end of the book. Please join in.

Please join in and let's discuss the last chapters.

Julia please join us.

Luanne