Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. On May 1, we’re saying goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
Kathryn_Stockett
0 Kudos

HELLO FROM KATHRYN STOCKETT, AUTHOR OF THE HELP

Dear Reader,

I’m so excited to be a part of B&N’s New Readsprogram--new being the essential word here.  This is all a new experience for me, full of firsts.  TheHelp is my first novel, you all are, in some ways, my first readers, and Iam still a little dizzy and stupid from my first book tour.  (I’ve been to 24 cities in 12 weeks.  They told me I’d be going to two.) 

But I am home now for awhile and I look forward to yourquestions about The Help.  I hope I can answer them.  God knows, I’ve had some tough onesover the past three months.

It’s funny, but if you asked my husband, what is theA-Number-1 thing that bothers him most about me, he would look you in the eyeand maybe grab hold of your shirt collar and say like a man begging for a drinkof water, “She NEVER answers my questions.”

It’s always been a problem with us.

It’s because I usually have my mind on a story-- either mineor someone else’s-- where the tomatoes are riper, the itches are itchier, thesun burns hotter than in regular life. But I’m going to try to do better. I’ll start with you all and maybe I’ll get in the habit and startanswering a few of my husband’s too. 

Best,

Kathryn

New User
kpkbub195455
0 Kudos

Re: HELLO FROM KATHRYN STOCKETT, AUTHOR OF THE HELP

This is my first timeon Barnes & Nobles web site and also the first time I have seen this site.   I love to read and to learn about new writers and check out there books to see if I may be interested in reading them. Iam looking forward to reading you first book and enjoying it to.   kpk            

Reader
txaggieKR
0 Kudos

Hi Kathryn,

I started The Help a few hours ago, and I already can't seem to put it down!  It's 5:30 in the morning, and I've yet to go to sleep because I am so intrigued by your book.  I had a question for you :smileyhappy:  I noticed you dedicated the book to your granddaddy... did any of his stories influence your novel?  I know my grandfather told the best stories, and then he got Alzheimer's... so I have to remember them from when I was a little girl :smileyhappy:

I look forward to finishing this great book and hearing back from you!

Thanks,

Kendall

Author
Kathryn_Stockett
0 Kudos

Catbite and Grandaddy

Hi Kendall- thanks so much for logging on and your words about The Help.

My grandfather had an incredible, lucid memory right up until his death, last month.  He really knew how to tell a story and hold an audience, with all the right pauses and drama.  The dinner table always grew quiet when he started to tell a story.

Grandaddy told me the story of Cat-bite, who is in the book.  He was driving along and saw a young black girl being attacked by a cat- just a regular old house feline- that had rabies and wouldn't turn this poor little girl loose.  Grandaddy saved her and took her to the hospital for the rabies shots- in the stomach, for 21 days.  It was many years later that she tracked Grandaddy down and thanked him again, for what he'd done.

Grandaddy also gave me a great sense of what people felt and thought during the early 1960's.  There was a feeling that Mississippi was the world.  You were more interested in the local farm report than what the President was doing in Washington.  The most important events to you were happening right there in your neighborhood.  I like that idea and tried to employ that state of mind in The Help.

Many thanks for reaching out.  I hope you enjoy the book.

KS 

New User
klposton12
0 Kudos

Hello Ms. Stockett,

Every time I think of The Help, I get a warm fuzzy.  What a wonderful book - one of those that you just don't want to end.  I knew the pages were getting thinner but I couldn't read it fast enough.  I absolutely loved it and can't wait to read it again.

I grew up in the 60's in a little town, Amory, MS., and although my family didn't have money, we had an "ironing lady" who came every Friday.  Mary was someone who was just always there on Friday's in our small living room, watching tv while she ironed.  She especially enjoyed watching "One Life to Live" and she would chuckle or fume over whatever events were transpiring on her "show."

Sadly, that is about all I remember of her, although I do recall that when I was old enough to get my driver's license, I would take her home on "the other side of town."  My daddy would always warn me to be careful and "don't stop to talk to anyone and don't go inside her house."

The thing that got me the most was the fact that I could never get Mary to sit in the front seat.  I can remember asking her to ride in front with me and she was always, "Oh no, Miss Kathy, I can't do that!" and she would laugh like I was out of my mind - not in a bad way but in a way that spelled "Girl, you are ignorant because you don't know my place."

Prejudice was rampant and a way of life during those days.  I didn't know better and I regret that I didn't but if you don't know, well, you just don't know!  One of my favorite quotes is from the great Maya Angelou, "You do better when you know better" and I certainly learned that over the years.

The feelings that I had towards African-Americans during those days were ingrained in me from the time I was a small child.  Every single person that I knew felt the same way - friends, family, neighbors, people from our church - everyone!  I graduated from high school in 1969 and our school didn't integrate until 1972 or thereabouts so the only black person I was ever around was Mary. 

As a kid, you're just that - a kid.  It wasn't until I married a "yankee" and moved away from Mississippi that I began to see the error and injustice in judging others by the color of their skin. 

I always had a soft spot for those less fortunate than me, the underdog, the one being picked on at school, the poor people (at least poorer than my family was) - and still do.  That being said, I still was a "prejudiced person."  Your book made me think about how I felt during those times and gave me pause to consider why I had those feelings beyond my upbringing and so on. The feelings are deep - but I must thank you in a way that has to be different from the way anyone else has thanked you.  I hope you know what I mean.

I wait with great anticipation for your next book and want to be one of the first to buy it.  My God, you're a wonderful writer!

Rachel-K
0 Kudos

What a moving response, Klposton12! I hope you'll think about adding it to the novel's online reviews. Thanks for sharing your story with us, and hope we'll see you in another group soon.

Rachel

klposton12 wrote:

Hello Ms. Stockett,

Every time I think of The Help, I get a warm fuzzy.  What a wonderful book - one of those that you just don't want to end.  I knew the pages were getting thinner but I couldn't read it fast enough.  I absolutely loved it and can't wait to read it again.

I grew up in the 60's in a little town, Amory, MS., and although my family didn't have money, we had an "ironing lady" who came every Friday.  Mary was someone who was just always there on Friday's in our small living room, watching tv while she ironed.  She especially enjoyed watching "One Life to Live" and she would chuckle or fume over whatever events were transpiring on her "show."

Sadly, that is about all I remember of her, although I do recall that when I was old enough to get my driver's license, I would take her home on "the other side of town."  My daddy would always warn me to be careful and "don't stop to talk to anyone and don't go inside her house."

The thing that got me the most was the fact that I could never get Mary to sit in the front seat.  I can remember asking her to ride in front with me and she was always, "Oh no, Miss Kathy, I can't do that!" and she would laugh like I was out of my mind - not in a bad way but in a way that spelled "Girl, you are ignorant because you don't know my place."

Prejudice was rampant and a way of life during those days.  I didn't know better and I regret that I didn't but if you don't know, well, you just don't know!  One of my favorite quotes is from the great Maya Angelou, "You do better when you know better" and I certainly learned that over the years.

The feelings that I had towards African-Americans during those days were ingrained in me from the time I was a small child.  Every single person that I knew felt the same way - friends, family, neighbors, people from our church - everyone!  I graduated from high school in 1969 and our school didn't integrate until 1972 or thereabouts so the only black person I was ever around was Mary. 

As a kid, you're just that - a kid.  It wasn't until I married a "yankee" and moved away from Mississippi that I began to see the error and injustice in judging others by the color of their skin. 

I always had a soft spot for those less fortunate than me, the underdog, the one being picked on at school, the poor people (at least poorer than my family was) - and still do.  That being said, I still was a "prejudiced person."  Your book made me think about how I felt during those times and gave me pause to consider why I had those feelings beyond my upbringing and so on. The feelings are deep - but I must thank you in a way that has to be different from the way anyone else has thanked you.  I hope you know what I mean.

I wait with great anticipation for your next book and want to be one of the first to buy it.  My God, you're a wonderful writer!

Author
Kathryn_Stockett
0 Kudos

Thank you.  Your note was honest and well-written and I truly appreciated that it was from a Mississippian.  I can't say it enough- look how far we've come.  But it's true and when you reflect on your ironing help and I reflect on our own family's help, I am awed that we thought that was 'normal.'

Thank you for reaching out and joining the group.  Thanks for being brave.

Best wishes,

Kathryn Stockett 

New User
sippi
0 Kudos

While reading the monthly posts in my kindle, I came across "the help".  It  caught my attention for several reasons. The title and the information about your southern origins. As a mississippi girl who grew up in the 60's and 70's, and who had a father who worked at Scanlon Taylor and who had a grandmother named Eula Mae, and a mother who was the help, I felt compelled to give your book a try.

I must admit that I have not read more than the Kindle introduction sample at this date, but your stlye and tone compelled me to go ahead and purchase the book. I look forward to contacting you later after I have finished reading it.

I was the girl who went with my mother to help at the homes she cleaned when she had to much to handle in one day. She had three families she cared for. As the oldest I stayed at home to care for my 2 sisters and brother after my father died from Hodkins. He contracted tuberculois while working at the paper mill and when he went in for testing they found he had cancer. He was 39 when he passed away 2 months later and my mother was 33.

I think the best one can do when they write stories such as these is to show how alike we all are, regardless of our economic status. She told us her share of stories about her bosses and their children and the only differences are truly ones of economics.

I am a Mississippi girl now living in california and I look forward to the read.

Reader
llbie
0 Kudos

I was born in 1946 and grew up in Michigan. I traveled on a bus to California when I was 13, and we passed through some states where I saw signs designating ‘colored entrance’ over doors on restaurants and ‘colored’ over drinking fountains. There were black people on the bus, and I noticed that when we stopped at diners for meals, the black people would order their meals and take them outside to the curb where they would then sit and consume their meal; they did not eat in the restaurant with the white people. I had never seen people treated this way before, and the unfairness of it has haunted me all my life. I loved your book.  It was so well written that I was hooked within the first few pages and finished it within two days. I hope you continue to write and inform readers of the way it used to be. We will be learning lessons from that time period for years and years to come, and your gentle but powerful voice in this book will most definitely help spread the message.  The note regarding your childhood home was also interesting, and I am grateful for that personal glimpse. I hope you write a sequel to this book.

New User
biblioteca
0 Kudos

Dear Ms. Stockett,

I loved, "The Help" and was sorry it was over so quickly. My favorite line was on page 345 and begins with, "I always thought insanity ..."

I am looking forward to your next book.

Thank you!

New User
Jo65JF
0 Kudos

Hello Kathryn.  I have just finished reading The  Help and wanted to thank you for writing such a wonderful, moving, readable, thought-provoking novel.  I will recommend it to everyone I know!!!  I am probably from the same generation as you, my mother would have been about Skeeter's age in the early 60's.  I would love her to read this book.  I grew up in England in a modern new town but was nonetheless exposed to racist opinions from my parents and had to "self educate" out of these as I grew up.  The more people are made to think about their attitudes to others who differ in creed or race the better. I just love the way you've written this, your characters are all so real and believeable - I hope it gets made into a movie, handled right it could be awesome - all that heat and tension - like Cat On a Hot Tin Roof!  Any way, gotta go, lord knows who reads this stuff ...... 
New User
Folly
0 Kudos

I read a great many books, and once in awhile one comes along which is so good it leaves me feeling a little lost when I finish it.  "The Help" is one of those books.  I've just finished ready it, and already I feel lonely for my friends Skeeter, Aibileen and Minnie.  Thank you so much for "The Help."
New User
judyroche
0 Kudos

Hello Kathryn,

Loved "The Help". cant help wanting to know what will happen to Celia and Aibileen ,Are you planning a new book includng those characters?

Judy Roche

New User
FRANKLIN1964
0 Kudos

Re: HELLO FROM KATHY STOCKED, AUTHOR OF THE HELP

Katherine,

I TOTALLY ENJOYED YOUR BOOK . I GREW UP IN THE SOUTH ALSO. AND OFTEN WONDERED SOME OF THE THINGS THAT WERE ADDRESSED IN YOU BOOK. I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE A SQUEAL OF THE

"THE HELP". I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO SEE MRS.. HILLY GET HER JUST DUES.

MY FRIEND AT WORK TOLD ME ABOUT YOUR BOOK . SHE AND HER HUSBAND LARRY TOLD ME IF YOU START READING IT YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PUT IT DOWN. AND SHE  WAS RIGHT. ONCE AGAIN I LOVED IT .

THANK-YOU AND LETS HAVE PART TWO .

FRANKLIN BANKS

New User
candy17
0 Kudos

Hi Kathryn:  Please, please tell me there will be a sequel?  The worst thing about this book is that it has spoiled me from reading anything even close to this good.  I couldn't put this down.  I am sure your own

Demetrie is looking down from heaven and saying "you done good, girl!" just like Constantine did for Skeeter.

Words fail me on how delightful, thought provoking and just sheer entertainment this book contains.  Please let us know how Skeeter and all her wonderful maids do in the future.  I loved their world. 

Thanks for all the wonderful hours of enjoyment!

Candyl7

New User
desertrosemkf
0 Kudos

I really only have but one question!  When will your next book be coming out?  I just can't say enough about "The Help", I started reading on Friday and finished it on Sunday morning after Mass.  It was just the greatest book I've ever read.  I truly and sincerely loved the story.  It made me cry, too.  I'm passing my book on with the promise of it being returned to me.  I may read it again!  Please put me on your mailing list of readers.  I will impatiently wait for your next Book.

Thank you sincerely,

Kathy Fish