Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
Nafisa_Haji

Hello Everyone!

This feels a bit odd, saying hello and welcome to people I’ve never met before.  It reminds me of when I’m traveling.  I never feel more American than when I am traveling in another country.  One of the ways I express that is by saying “hi” and smiling really widely at strangers—typical break-the-ice American behavior.  It’s really fun to gauge and assess the reaction of other people when you smile and say hello.  Americans always say hi back.  Others—sometimes not so much.  I’ve had people cringe back as if they thought I was crazy.  Others just keep on walking—well, maybe they quicken their pace a bit.  On one vacation at a resort peopled by a lot of Italians, no one answered me back.  Day after day, I tried.  No one even smiled.  Not until I changed tactics and said, “Buongiorno!”  That got them going!  A flood of friendly Italian followed.  Through sign language and a lot of nodding and smiling, I made a lot of friends.  On another vacation in Malaysia, which seems to be a honeymoon favorite for young couples from Arab countries, I was dismayed to see how many of the young brides’ faces were fully veiled.  How was I going to gauge their reaction from behind a veil?  It didn’t stop me.  I still kept smiling and saying hello.  And you know what?  I could see by the way the young women’s eyes crinkled—they smiled back!  So—even when it feels awkward, I’m all for smiling and saying hello to strangers.

I am so very excited and honored to be a part of B&N’s New Reads Book Club.  One of the most gratifying and thrilling experiences I have had along the journey from writing to publication has been communicating with readers.  Suddenly, I realize that all the characters I lived with for so long in my head are no longer just mine.  They have become a part of a community of readers—strangers—with whom I feel a new bond of friendship. 

I look forward to answering questions, joining in what I hope will be lively and honest conversation, and making friends with readers who have connected at some level with characters that came to life at my keyboard. 

So—hello everyone!!!  (My smile is so wide, my cheeks are getting a workout!)

Peace and love,

Nafisa

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Re: Hello Everyone!

I was chuckling at your "hello reactions," Nafisa.  I used to live in Oxford, England and we would comment on the characteristics of groups of tourists from different countries, including the ones from the U.S.  Each group was very distinct.
Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Author
Nafisa_Haji
0 Kudos

I was among those tourists in Oxford about a year ago.  I love that place...told my son (still in elementary school) that if he went to Oxford, he'd run the danger of having his mother tag along with him.  What did you study there?

-Nafisa

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Nafisa_Haji wrote:

What did you study there?

I didn't study at Oxford.  My husband worked for a British firm for a period of time, so we lived in Oxford for 18 months during 1998-2001.  We found the sense of history there amazing!

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
New User
Twibabe
0 Kudos

I do not get why you care about traveling. I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol