Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
Julia_Gregson
0 Kudos

Hello, from Julia

Hi everyone, 

I'm here, in sunny Wales, and really looking forward to talking to all of you. 

very best wishes,

Julia 

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Re: Hello, from Julia

Julia,

I just wanted to say, thank you so much for joining us! I am in the process of reading your book and so far enjoying it very much. I am looking forward to our discussions with you. Welcome!

Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Author
Julia_Gregson
0 Kudos

Thanks Vivian,

I'm looking forward to these discussions too.  This is new territory for me as I've never talked to readers this way before, and it feels exciting.

I like the Chinese proverb.  I keep such things on my computer and that's going straight in.

best wishes,

Julia 

Inspired Wordsmith
CathyB
0 Kudos

Hi Julia,

I finished your book yesterday morning. I liked it very much. It was a 'can't put down' type of book for me - I wanted to know what would happen next - as I finished each chapter, I would look at the next and say 'I still have time for one more'. I did have to put it down to sleep though.

I look forward to the discussion.

Thank you for writing the book and joining us.

CathyB

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Hi Julie:

I also finished reading your book over the July 4th weekend. I was drawn into the story immediately and was not able to put it down. The story moved very quickly and I felt like I was experiencing every turn of event with the characters. I couldn't image my parents allowing me to board a ship for India in the 1920's!

It certainly was a great escape visit to India for me and I enjoyed every minute of it!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Hello Julia and fellow readers!

I am 160 pages into East of the Sun and find it to be very enjoyable reading.

Still catching up after long weekend guests, so more tomorrow...

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi Laura,

I have been out in this heat mowing for 3 hours, so I don't have anything left to say the Fozzie thing, for the first time right? lol. Good to see you tho. I am really enjoying the book so far.  I could see this as a movie like Legend of the Falls or Titanic, a kind of romantic epic story of love and new countries that is a period piece.

Fozzie wrote:

Hello Julia and fellow readers!

I am 160 pages into East of the Sun and find it to be very enjoyable reading.

Still catching up after long weekend guests, so more tomorrow...

Message Edited by vivico1 on 07-06-2009 03:42 PM
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Author
Julia_Gregson
0 Kudos

CathyB wrote:

Hi Julia,

I finished your book yesterday morning. I liked it very much. It was a 'can't put down' type of book for me - I wanted to know what would happen next - as I finished each chapter, I would look at the next and say 'I still have time for one more'. I did have to put it down to sleep though.

CathyB

Hi Cathy B,

I'm so glad that you're enjoying East of the Sun.  I'm interested to know whether you had any prior knowledge of the Fishing Fleet women who went out to India to find husbands.  I knew about it, because, on our first date, my husband told me about his mother who had gone to Bombay when she was young, and met her first husband there.

Many thanks for your kind words. 

best wishes,

Julia 

Author
Julia_Gregson
0 Kudos

Dear Eadieburke.  (which part of that is  your name ?)

I'm so pleased to hear that you're enjoying my book.  You're right, it really is quite incredible that a group of young women who at home in Great Britain would have been heavily chaperoned, probably not allowed to wear make up without their parent's permission; and certainly not allowed out late, were suddenly allowed to travel  half way across the world in order to find a husband . Mind blowing when you think of it.  It some respects, I think it makes the Indian system of arranged marriages seem benign by comparison. This system was so random, and I imagine, for inexperienced girls fraught with danger. Having said all that, I think I would, given the chance have chosen to go, would you?

best wishes,

Julia 

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

Hi Julia,

Your book has been a delight to read. I love the pace of the book. I don't want to rush through it. I savor each chapter. I like how you reveal bits and pieces about each character, and then I find out more as the book progresses. The way you developed the characters has been great.  I am enjoying the history of the book. I only had a vague knowledge of that period with England and India. I enjoy when history is mixed into a story line.

Was it your intent to describe that period while developing the story?

Or was the story of these young people foremost and the history blended into that?

Luanne

Author
Julia_Gregson
0 Kudos

Hello Laura,

You deserve a rest after those weekend guests- I had some too. Have you got to the point in the book where the girls discover what-the -hell days ?   I'm all for them.

I spent part of last weekend in Cairo in 1942- research for my next book , Jasmine Nights,

Hope you spent more time today on that sofa and got past page 160,

best wishes, and thanks for your kind words,

Julia 

Inspired Wordsmith
CathyB
0 Kudos

Julia_Gregson wrote:

CathyB wrote:

Hi Julia,

CathyB

Hi Cathy B,

I'm so glad that you're enjoying East of the Sun.  I'm interested to know whether you had any prior knowledge of the Fishing Fleet women who went out to India to find husbands.  I knew about it, because, on our first date, my husband told me about his mother who had gone to Bombay when she was young, and met her first husband there.

Many thanks for your kind words. 

best wishes,

Julia 

Hi Julia:
I had no prior knowledge of the fishing fleet - I found that to be interesting.
The idea of leaving home to go to another country as naive women is a bit scary though.

Correspondent
nlsamson
0 Kudos

Julia:

I'm only about 120 pages into the book, but I am loving it.  It's a little different than what I've been reading, but that's what makes it so enjoyable.  

Nancy

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away" - unknown
Distinguished Correspondent
Thayer
0 Kudos

Julia,

I am also enjoying your book. The females in your  story come from very different family background yet are all independent and strong (although some are just realizing how much.) 

With your vivid descriptions of India, I can almost see and feel the beautiful saris, and all of the color and diversity that is India. 

I am still reading...and can't wait to finish. Thank you for joining us.

~~Dawn
Live the life you love ~ Love the life you live.
Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Julia_Gregson wrote:

Dear Eadieburke.  (which part of that is  your name ?)

I'm so pleased to hear that you're enjoying my book.  You're right, it really is quite incredible that a group of young women who at home in Great Britain would have been heavily chaperoned, probably not allowed to wear make up without their parent's permission; and certainly not allowed out late, were suddenly allowed to travel  half way across the world in order to find a husband . Mind blowing when you think of it.  It some respects, I think it makes the Indian system of arranged marriages seem benign by comparison. This system was so random, and I imagine, for inexperienced girls fraught with danger. Having said all that, I think I would, given the chance have chosen to go, would you?

best wishes,

Julia 

Julia:

In regards to my name - My full name is Mary Edith Burke. I never knew my name was Mary until I was in first grade and the nun was taking attendance. She kept calling Mary...... Mary.... and I kept thinking that Mary had better answer soon. Well, Mary was me and I went home and said "Why didn't you tell me my name was Mary?" They always called me Eadie at home. It was then I was told that I was named after my two grandmothers. My dad's mother was Mary and my mom's mother was Edith. There are lots of ways to spell Eadie (Edie, Ede, Eady). Aren't you glad you asked? Even to this day, I have to say to myself - do I need to sign Mary or Eadie. I have learned never name anyone and then call them by their middle name. Too confusing!

Getting back to the book.......Yes, I would have most certainly been aboard that ship going to India if I had the chance when I was Rose and Tor's age. In fact in 2006, my friend was going to China and I told her that I needed to go with her without any hesitation. I am always ready for an adventure and I never look back. Of course, I am a lot older than the girls but I think it takes nerve to go to another country without knowing what to expect. I never in a million years thought that I would want to go to China but I can honestly say it was a great experience. Now, I think I want to visit Bombay, India. Maybe I'll contact my friend and tell her I think we need another adventure!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Author
Julia_Gregson
0 Kudos

Hi Nancy,  

I'm glad to hear you are 120 pages in and enjoying my book. Being able to get this kind of progress report is a totally new experience for me. One of the pleasures of this book doing well has been having new readers and getting their feedback.  It somehow completes the circle. We've just had scripts delivered for East of the Sun . Two were commissioned by an independent producer and two by the B.B.C.  Meetings next week, so fingers crossed.

best wishes,

nlsamson wrote:

Julia:

I'm only about 120 pages into the book, but I am loving it.  It's a little different than what I've been reading, but that's what makes it so enjoyable.  

Nancy

Julia 

Author
Julia_Gregson
0 Kudos

Dear Dawn,

I'm glad you feel transported to India,  I so wanted readers to  feel its pull, and its power and its terror.  One of my reasons for writing the book was that I got so sick of the English memsahibs being almost automatically stereotyped as snobbish, insular monsters.  Some were of course, but many found themselves challenged in ways they could never have dreamed of in England.  I'm interested to know whether you were aware of The  Fishing Fleet before you read EOTS ?

Thank you for your kind words.  This blogging is new to me, but it's fun!  

best wishes,

Julia 

Author
Julia_Gregson
0 Kudos

Hi Eadie,

You're right about the middle name thing, though I confess I'd rather be called Eadie, it's more unusual 

I'd love to travel to China, I never have, but I hope to stay the way you are, always ready for a new adventure.  While researching my first book, The Water Horse,  (soon to be  published in the U.S. but re-titled  Band of Angels) I decided to go to Istanbul to look at The Barrack Hospital. (My heroine, Catherine, nursed there with Florence Nightingale).

On a whim, I asked my, then, 80 year and rather frail mother if she'd like to come too. To my amazement she put her cup of tea down, legged it upstairs, and came down with her passport, saying of course she wanted to come.  When we got there, the streets were icy , it was November, and I remember thinking , this is madness, but in the end, it was fantastic.

We went to the markets, drank tea in the hotel where Agatha Christie stayed. I took a boat across the Bosphorus, we even got invited to a Turkish wedding.

Hope you make it to Bombay (Mumbai) . I had a fascinating time there researching E.O.T.Sun.

best wishes,

Julia 

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Julia_Gregson wrote:

Hope you make it to Bombay (Mumbai) . I had a fascinating time there researching E.O.T.Sun.

best wishes,

Julia 

I just checked to see when Bombay was changed to Mumbai (1996). Thanks for letting me know otherwise I would be trying to book my trip to Bombay and insisting on that is where I need to go. That's what I love about going to these unique places, you learn so much about their history. Same as Beijing which used to be called Peking (1949).

I did look to see if you had written another book and I was at my library to try to get a copy but couldn't find "The Water Horse" listed in their card catalogue. Now I will make note that the title for the US will be "Band of Angels". Thanks again for clearing that up for me. I was going to ask you why I couldn't seem to find a copy at the library.

That is really exciting that you have received scripts for East of the Sun. Hope everything works out to your satisfaction when you meet with the producers. I am also excited about your next book too (Jasmine Nights). When I find an author that I enjoy, I just want to get a hold of everything they put out. It's like visiting with an old friend again!

Message Edited by eadieburke on 07-07-2009 11:07 AM
Author
Julia_Gregson
0 Kudos

Dear Luanne,

I'm so pleased you've  enjoyed the book.  You've asked a very interesting question about which came first the characters or the history. I went to India and read as widely as I could about its history and customs before I wrote the book.  Frustratingly, I had to ditch most of it, because this India was being seen through the eyes of three politically naive young girls. I felt it would have been jarring and out of character for them to have in depth discussions about the great events that were going on around them.

I was told off by one reader for sounding  patronising about Indians in the book, and of course, I was.  (I don't know if you recall, but in one instance of this , Rose wrote to her mother saying she didn't know why people talked down to the  natives she thought they were really   awfully sweet?) but  this was the kind of thing people DID say, political correctness hadn't  been invented in 1928.

I got very close to my characters when I was writing this book, and still miss them.

Thank you again for your kind words, it's great to get this kind of feed back.  

best wishes,

Julia