Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
Julia_Gregson
0 Kudos

Re: Hello, from Julia

Hi Eadie,

Yes, Bombay was re-named Mumbai, after the British left.  It is confusing however becausesome Indians still call it Bombay.  I can't quite figure out whether they only do this when talking to British people, or they do it by force of habit.  I felt I had to carefully call it Mumbai while I was there- post colonial guilt  and fear of giving offence, is still a strong strand in the British make-up.

Glad I cleared up the Water Horse title.  I'm hard at work on Jasmine Nights at the mo.

Julia 

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

Julia,

Thank you for the reply.

I agree that the girls being so naive in their speech and actions makes the book believable. By portraying the history and politics through their eyes shows how innocent they were. And yes political correctness was not thought of during this time.

Julia_Gregson wrote:

Dear Luanne,

I'm so pleased you've  enjoyed the book.  You've asked a very interesting question about which came first the characters or the history. I went to India and read as widely as I could about its history and customs before I wrote the book.  Frustratingly, I had to ditch most of it, because this India was being seen through the eyes of three politically naive young girls. I felt it would have been jarring and out of character for them to have in depth discussions about the great events that were going on around them.

I was told off by one reader for sounding  patronising about Indians in the book, and of course, I was.  (I don't know if you recall, but in one instance of this , Rose wrote to her mother saying she didn't know why people talked down to the  natives she thought they were really   awfully sweet?) but  this was the kind of thing people DID say, political correctness hadn't  been invented in 1928.

I got very close to my characters when I was writing this book, and still miss them.

Thank you again for your kind words, it's great to get this kind of feed back.  

best wishes,

Julia 

New User
Bea_Wright
0 Kudos

Julia,

I really enjoyed East of the Sun.  I took it on vacation with me and it was the perfect read, and as others are saying it was very hard to put down.  I absolutely loved the character of Viva Holloway.  Thank you so much for a great read!

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Hey Julie,

I just wanted to ask you, as I don't know how familiar you are with the set up in these Barnes and Noble clubs, so if I am telling you something you already know, please forgive me. But did you know, you have three other threads so far on your book in here, where we talk about it and you can read and post too? One is a thread especially for questions to you about the book. (Not that we won't ask you stuff about anywhere, like here hehe, but that one is there for you too.) They are threads the moderator Rachel set up for you and us. We would love to have you all over them if you would like lol. I have a couple of questions on the thread where we can ask you things there and I will have lots more and I know others will too. Also you will see more threads pop up over other chapters besides 1-20 as the time goes on in the month. Again, forgive me if you know this already, but I don't want you to miss any of this experience and I do want us to get a chance to hear your answers to those questions too! I think you are quite a few hours different than we are here, or you are a real night owl. I see that your last posts were around 3am our time!

Anyway, thanks again.

Vivian

Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Author
Julia_Gregson
0 Kudos

Bea,

I  so glad you enjoyed E.O.T.Sun.  I must say that Viva is one of my favorite  characters too.  Her  loneliness and  determination was very much inspired by my own mother- the ultimate survivor. 

Julia

Julia 

Author
Julia_Gregson
0 Kudos

Hi Vivian,

Thank you for letting me know about the threads, I'm new at all this, and   actually thought I'd answered all the questions.  I've really enjoyed interacting with readers, and will, as you suggest leap in !.

No, no blogging for me at 3.a.m. I'm whatever is the opposite to a night owl. It's the time difference.

Julia 

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

vivico1 wrote:

I could see this as a movie like Legend of the Falls or Titanic, a kind of romantic epic story of love and new countries that is a period piece.

Me too, now that you mention it!

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Julia_Gregson wrote:

Having said all that, I think I would, given the chance have chosen to go, would you?

I don't think I would have gone.  I can't bear the thought of being seasick on a boat for weeks.  I think I would also be afraid of exotic illnesses.  And, I'd like to think I would not have "had to go." :smileywink:

Laura

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Julia_Gregson wrote:

Have you got to the point in the book where the girls discover what-the -hell days ?   I'm all for them.

I spent part of last weekend in Cairo in 1942- research for my next book , Jasmine Nights,

Hope you spent more time today on that sofa and got past page 160,

I haven't got to the what-the-hell days yet.  However, I did take Sunday afternoon as a partial one.  Then the reality of catching up and cleaning up after guests set in on Monday.

I will get past page 160 today though!

Your reference to your next book, I assume partially set in Cairo in 1942, caught my eye.  Now I am wondering what Cairo was like in 1942.  World War II taking place...hmmm...

Laura

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Julia_Gregson wrote:

While researching my first book, The Water Horse,  (soon to be  published in the U.S. but re-titled  Band of Angels) I decided to go to Istanbul to look at The Barrack Hospital. (My heroine, Catherine, nursed there with Florence Nightingale).

I can't help but wonder why The Water Horse would be re-titled Band of Angels.  Guess I will have to read the book to find out --- it sounds fascinating!

Have you read any Orhan Pamuk books?  I read Snow and My Name is Red, neither easy reading, but fascinating.  I have his book Istanbul waiting to be read.  I would love to go to Istanbul one day.

Laura

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

I didn't really think you were a night owl, just the time difference. But isn't technology wonderful that we can be anywhere in the world and be in here talking about the same things together! I am taking some online courses for two months and my trainer is in Ireland, and there is one man in the UK and a woman in the Ukraine who is helping and Mexico, and we are doing live classes so we get to hear and see each other too! It is just wonderful.

Julia_Gregson wrote:

Hi Vivian,

Thank you for letting me know about the threads, I'm new at all this, and actually thought I'd answered all the questions. I've really enjoyed interacting with readers, and will, as you suggest leap in !.

No, no blogging for me at 3.a.m. I'm whatever is the opposite to a night owl. It's the time difference.

Julia

Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

It's amazing what technology can do. That your online course has people from so many places. That our online book club does the same with the author in a different country and vastly different time zone. What a wonderful way to meet new friends.

vivico1 wrote:

I didn't really think you were a night owl, just the time difference. But isn't technology wonderful that we can be anywhere in the world and be in here talking about the same things together! I am taking some online courses for two months and my trainer is in Ireland, and there is one man in the UK and a woman in the Ukraine who is helping and Mexico, and we are doing live classes so we get to hear and see each other too! It is just wonderful.

Julia_Gregson wrote:

Hi Vivian,

Thank you for letting me know about the threads, I'm new at all this, and actually thought I'd answered all the questions. I've really enjoyed interacting with readers, and will, as you suggest leap in !.

Julia

Message Edited by pen21 on 07-08-2009 11:20 PM
Distinguished Correspondent
Thayer
0 Kudos

Julia_Gregson wrote:

Dear Dawn,

I'm glad you feel transported to India,  I so wanted readers to  feel its pull, and its power and its terror.  One of my reasons for writing the book was that I got so sick of the English memsahibs being almost automatically stereotyped as snobbish, insular monsters.  Some were of course, but many found themselves challenged in ways they could never have dreamed of in England.  I'm interested to know whether you were aware of The  Fishing Fleet before you read EOTS ?

Thank you for your kind words.  This blogging is new to me, but it's fun!  

best wishes,

Julia 

Julia,

You ask if I was aware of the "Fishing Fleet" prior to reading your book and I must say I was clueless to its existence.  Which surprises me as an avid reader of historical fiction and non-fiction alike. 

The Fishing Fleet and the setting of India itself are the types of dramatic, romantic and colorful opportunities for imaginative writing which are right up my alley.

I am so glad that you presented us with the opportunity to step into this dramatic world.

~~Dawn
Live the life you love ~ Love the life you live.
Author
Julia_Gregson
0 Kudos

I heard Snow on the radio and thought it was fabulous

Fozzie wrote:

Julia_Gregson wrote:

Have you got to the point in the book where the girls discover what-the -hell days ?   I'm all for them.

I spent part of last weekend in Cairo in 1942- research for my next book , Jasmine Nights,

Hope you spent more time today on that sofa and got past page 160,

I haven't got to the what-the-hell days yet.  However, I did take Sunday afternoon as a partial one.  Then the reality of catching up and cleaning up after guests set in on Monday.

I will get past page 160 today though!

Your reference to your next book, I assume partially set in Cairo in 1942, caught my eye.  Now I am wondering what Cairo was like in 1942.  World War II taking place...hmmm...

Inspired Wordsmith
eadieburke
0 Kudos

Fozzie wrote:

Julia_Gregson wrote:

While researching my first book, The Water Horse,  (soon to be  published in the U.S. but re-titled  Band of Angels) I decided to go to Istanbul to look at The Barrack Hospital. (My heroine, Catherine, nursed there with Florence Nightingale).

I can't help but wonder why The Water Horse would be re-titled Band of Angels.  Guess I will have to read the book to find out --- it sounds fascinating!

Have you read any Orhan Pamuk books?  I read Snow and My Name is Red, neither easy reading, but fascinating.  I have his book Istanbul waiting to be read.  I would love to go to Istanbul one day.

If I would have to guess, I would like to venture that the title "Band of Angels" makes reference to the nurses that worked with Florence Nightingale. What I don't understand is what the title "The Water Horse"  has to do with nurses?

Maybe Julia will come on soon and clue us in!

Eadie - A day out-of-doors, someone I loved to talk with, a good book and some simple food and music -- that would be rest. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Julia,

Rachel, the moderator, should post some more threads by morning. I thought there might be some today since its a new week. If not, to get us going again, I can set up a new thread or two, about the next chapters. Should I make that thread Chapters 21-40? or maybe make two, 21-30 and 31-40, for those who are somewhere in between? Any threads on something particular you would like, something you would like us to be thinking about or discussing in the book about now? Let me know and I can post those too. And if Rach gets a chance to come in and read this, and what you would like before I can get on tomorrow, she will do it for you too. :smileywink: I am ready for discussing the next parts how about you? I know Pen21 is too hehe.

Vivian
Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I had a glitch without internet More questions up tomorrow. Thanks for your patience!

Rachel

Author
Julia_Gregson
0 Kudos

The Band of Angels was the name sometimes given, sarcastically, the the very mixed bag of women who went with Florence Nightingale to Scutari.
The title of 'The Water Horse' came from the Celtic Legend about the fabled horse who sometimes rises out of the water either in the guise of a destroyer, or a bringer of life.    
eadieburke wrote:

Fozzie wrote:

Julia_Gregson wrote:

If I would have to guess, I would like to venture that the title "Band of Angels" makes reference to the nurses that worked with Florence Nightingale. What I don't understand is what the title "The Water Horse"  has to do with nurses?

Maybe Julia will come on soon and clue us in!

Correspondent
willowy
0 Kudos

Hello Julia,

I absolutely loved your book! It was one of those books I couldn't put down, I think someone else on here mentioned how they read it at night and kept saying they'd read just one more chapter...I had that same problem as well.  It was interesting reading and learning about the fishing fleet ladies, it was a part of history I had never really heard of prior to reading this. The descriptions of India were wonderful as well, it's been so nice to get to "escape" there for a few hours while reading!

I'm looking forward to the discussions (even though I'm a few weeks late starting!) and thanks again for such a wonderful book.           

-----------Willowy----------
Author
Julia_Gregson
0 Kudos

Hello Willowy,

After a long day at my computer, your message was most welcome! Talking to new readers has been one of the unexpected delights of the book doing well.   I still think of my girls on the Kaisar ,quite a bit actually, the characters have hung around in my head ,The first completed scripts for the first two episodes of the book came through today which was exciting.  
I've just been reading Oliver Kitteridge which I'm loving, have you read it ?
Julia 

willowy wrote:

Hello Julia,

I absolutely loved your book! It was one of those books I couldn't put down, I think someone else on here mentioned how they read it at night and kept saying they'd read just one more chapter...I had that same problem as well.  It was interesting reading and learning about the fishing fleet ladies, it was a part of history I had never really heard of prior to reading this. The descriptions of India were wonderful as well, it's been so nice to get to "escape" there for a few hours while reading!

I'm looking forward to the discussions (even though I'm a few weeks late starting!) and thanks again for such a wonderful book.