Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Author
Julia_Gregson
0 Kudos

Re: Hello, from Julia

Thanks so much Bea, I'm delighted you enjoyed the book. Viva is one of my favourite characters too.  I'm off on holiday in August, do you have any hot reading tips for me.  I'm reading Olive Kitteridge at the mo. Excellent.  Julia
Bea_Wright wrote:

Julia,

I really enjoyed East of the Sun.  I took it on vacation with me and it was the perfect read, and as others are saying it was very hard to put down.  I absolutely loved the character of Viva Holloway.  Thank you so much for a great read!

Author
Julia_Gregson
0 Kudos

Thanks for your help,  this is my first blogging experience and I am getting the hang of it now!  and will answer threads over this weekend. Thanks again, Julia
vivico1 wrote:

Hey Julie,

I just wanted to ask you, as I don't know how familiar you are with the set up in these Barnes and Noble clubs, so if I am telling you something you already know, please forgive me. But did you know, you have three other threads so far on your book in here, where we talk about it and you can read and post too? One is a thread especially for questions to you about the book. (Not that we won't ask you stuff about anywhere, like here hehe, but that one is there for you too.) They are threads the moderator Rachel set up for you and us. We would love to have you all over them if you would like lol. I have a couple of questions on the thread where we can ask you things there and I will have lots more and I know others will too. Also you will see more threads pop up over other chapters besides 1-20 as the time goes on in the month. Again, forgive me if you know this already, but I don't want you to miss any of this experience and I do want us to get a chance to hear your answers to those questions too! I think you are quite a few hours different than we are here, or you are a real night owl. I see that your last posts were around 3am our time!

Anyway, thanks again.

Vivian

Author
Julia_Gregson
0 Kudos

Cairo in 1942 was  both an exotic and a scary place to be.  30,000 allied troops had moved there and there was every expectation that Rommel might invade with his troops.   
Fozzie wrote:

Julia_Gregson wrote:

Have you got to the point in the book where the girls discover what-the -hell days ?   I'm all for them.

I spent part of last weekend in Cairo in 1942- research for my next book , Jasmine Nights,

Hope you spent more time today on that sofa and got past page 160,

I haven't got to the what-the-hell days yet.  However, I did take Sunday afternoon as a partial one.  Then the reality of catching up and cleaning up after guests set in on Monday.

I will get past page 160 today though!

Your reference to your next book, I assume partially set in Cairo in 1942, caught my eye.  Now I am wondering what Cairo was like in 1942.  World War II taking place...hmmm...

Author
Julia_Gregson
0 Kudos

I agree, it's amazing.  I have found talking to readers in the U.S. fantastically interesting.  To be frank, I didn't think so many would be interested in a book about Colonial India.
You must be an expert in time management, or maybe a night owl? Your life sounds rich.
vivico1 wrote:

I didn't really think you were a night owl, just the time difference. But isn't technology wonderful that we can be anywhere in the world and be in here talking about the same things together! I am taking some online courses for two months and my trainer is in Ireland, and there is one man in the UK and a woman in the Ukraine who is helping and Mexico, and we are doing live classes so we get to hear and see each other too! It is just wonderful.

Julia_Gregson wrote:

Hi Vivian,

Thank you for letting me know about the threads, I'm new at all this, and actually thought I'd answered all the questions. I've really enjoyed interacting with readers, and will, as you suggest leap in !.

No, no blogging for me at 3.a.m. I'm whatever is the opposite to a night owl. It's the time difference.

Julia

I

Author
Julia_Gregson
0 Kudos

Good point, there was a stigma about being a member of the Fishing Fleet, even in old age some of the ex-Memsahibs I spoke to didn't really enjoy being described as such. 
Fozzie wrote:

Julia_Gregson wrote:

Having said all that, I think I would, given the chance have chosen to go, would you?

I don't think I would have gone.  I can't bear the thought of being seasick on a boat for weeks.  I think I would also be afraid of exotic illnesses.  And, I'd like to think I would not have "had to go." :smileywink:

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

Julia_Gregson wrote:
Thanks so much Bea, I'm delighted you enjoyed the book. Viva is one of my favourite characters too.  I'm off on holiday in August, do you have any hot reading tips for me.  I'm reading Olive Kitteridge at the mo. Excellent.  Julia

Well, even though the question wasn't directed to me, I thought I would pop in anyway.

I have read Olive Kitteridge as part of a Read Around Maine on line group sponsored by a newspaper out of Portland, Maine, the state where I live.  Here's what I wrote about the book in my reading journal:

Superb writing.  Melancholy, but not without hope.  Filled with universal themes and experiences.  Could be set anywhere.

As for what I would recommend for holiday reading to Julia, and the entire group, I would pick The Help.  Here's what I wrote in my reading journal about it:

Outstanding book!  The characters are very real and pull you into the story immediately.  The story explores many different kinds of relationships and challenges stereotypes.

The Help takes you to a different time and place, like Julia's books do, so that's why I chose this particular book to recommend.  

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Author
Julia_Gregson
0 Kudos

Thanks, I'll order The Help.  I've been reading the odd terrific review. Have you read 'Home' ? 

Fozzie wrote:

Julia_Gregson wrote:

Well, even though the question wasn't directed to me, I thought I would pop in anyway.

I have read Olive Kitteridge as part of a Read Around Maine on line group sponsored by a newspaper out of Portland, Maine, the state where I live.  Here's what I wrote about the book in my reading journal:

Superb writing.  Melancholy, but not without hope.  Filled with universal themes and experiences.  Could be set anywhere.

As for what I would recommend for holiday reading to Julia, and the entire group, I would pick The Help.  Here's what I wrote in my reading journal about it:

Outstanding book!  The characters are very real and pull you into the story immediately.  The story explores many different kinds of relationships and challenges stereotypes.

The Help takes you to a different time and place, like Julia's books do, so that's why I chose this particular book to recommend.  

Wordsmith
Fozzie
0 Kudos

No, I have not.  I didn't like Gilead, so I don't intend to read Home.  I do have her first novel, Housekeeping, which I intend to give a try.

Julia_Gregson wrote:
Thanks, I'll order The Help.  I've been reading the odd terrific review. Have you read 'Home' ? 

Laura

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
Correspondent
willowy
0 Kudos

Julia_Gregson wrote:
Hello Willowy,
After a long day at my computer, your message was most welcome! Talking to new readers has been one of the unexpected delights of the book doing well.   I still think of my girls on the Kaisar ,quite a bit actually, the characters have hung around in my head ,The first completed scripts for the first two episodes of the book came through today which was exciting.  
I've just been reading Oliver Kitteridge which I'm loving, have you read it ?
Julia

I actually hadn't heard about the book Olive Kitteridge before, but after hearing you and a couple of other posters talking about it, I think I'm going to check it out! It seems like an interesting idea, "a novel in stories".

-----------Willowy----------
Author
Julia_Gregson
0 Kudos

My favourite segment of the Oliver Kitteridge book was the one entitled 'Starvation.' Also the piece about the elderly couple discovering that he'd had an affair.  Painful and real.

Fozzie wrote:

Julia_Gregson wrote:

Distinguished Bibliophile
pen21
0 Kudos

There has been several postings on books to read.

I would recommend reading Lisa See's Shanghai Girls. The story starts in the 1930s.

It is the story of 2 sisters and their lives from Shanghai to Los Angeles.

Luanne

Shanghai Girls 

Author
Julia_Gregson
0 Kudos

I'm going to read this book, I've heard some good reports of it. 
pen21 wrote:

There has been several postings on books to read.

I would recommend reading Lisa See's Shanghai Girls. The story starts in the 1930s.

It is the story of 2 sisters and their lives from Shanghai to Los Angeles.

Luanne

Shanghai Girls 

Author
Julia_Gregson
0 Kudos

Thanks for the feedback. 

Fozzie wrote:

No, I have not.  I didn't like Gilead, so I don't intend to read Home.  I do have her first novel, Housekeeping, which I intend to give a try.

Julia_Gregson wrote:

Fozzie wrote:

Julia_Gregson wrote:

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Julia,

I see where Cathy set up a thread to say thank you for being here with us. I hope you see it. It does not have the B&N by it because the moderator did not put it up as it should have been before the last days. But if you do happen to look back in here tonight or tomorrow, to see if there were any last remarks, I wanted to get mine in. I have not been able to visit or discuss the book the last couple of weeks, as I have been very very sick. Doctors first thought it was the Swine Flu, then decided it was Lyme Disease and I also developed a staph infection. Both as you know are very dangerous.

Anyway, I am doing better and I did want to say that I did finish the book and really liked it very much. I hate that I missed the discussions past the first section on it. I normally am not into 600 page novels lol, and it did take me awhile to finish but I did so like each chapter. I am sure this has been discussed already but this would make a wonderful epic movie. You took me on a great adventure and I loved all your characters. I wish you every luck with this book and ones to come. I just really did enjoy it and also I have to say, thank you so very much for being here this month to discuss it. Thank you for being so generous with your time. I will be recommending this book to others and writing a very positive review on its sale page here in B&N. I just need a few days to feel a bit better to do it.

Thanks again for the journey. :smileyhappy: Vivian

Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Author
Julia_Gregson
0 Kudos

I'm so happy to hear you couldn't put the book down- that is what I aim for. Julia
Bea_Wright wrote:

Julia,

I really enjoyed East of the Sun.  I took it on vacation with me and it was the perfect read, and as others are saying it was very hard to put down.  I absolutely loved the character of Viva Holloway.  Thank you so much for a great read!

Wordsmith
BookWoman718
0 Kudos

Hello Julia,

At the end of a busy summer, I was flying back home - long day,  endless layover, very late arrival - when in the midst of it, my seatmate finished her book and offered it to me, with a recommendation about it being an engrossing read.  Just what I needed, and bless her, it was your wonderful novel.

My own travel grumpiness and impatience evaporated as I lost myself in the story of those three adventurous young women.  I'm another avid reader who had never heard of the Fishing Fleet, and I think I might have been rather hoping to get passed over during deb season in order to convince my parents to sponsor just such a trip.   You did a great job with each of the girls' characters as well as the descriptions of ocean voyage life.  And although I have missed out on traveling to India, your settings seemed credible as well as colorful across the country. 

Thank you for this book and for joining the discussion here.  I'm in another book club on the site, and just noticed you here.  I hope I'm not too late to add another reader's appreciation.