Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Lost Memoirs: Characters

[ Edited ]
Wanted to begin a "favorite characters" thread, but will instead start a thread to voice our opinions on any of the characters. Who are your favorites and whom can't you stand?

Message Edited by Jessica on 01-31-2008 04:10 PM
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Re: Characters

I love Jane in this novel - the girl Jane as opposed to the writer. You can see some of her characters within her personality - Lizzie & Marianne, for example. And Cassandra is a likeable counterpart to Jane. Their relationship is fun & alive.

I truly dislike the Churchills. Mr. Churchill is a friend of Henry Austen. He sees Mr. Ashford's interest in Jane but doesn't take the steps to talk to his friend Henry to tell him about Mr. Ashford's expectations & to have him warn Jane. Mrs. Churchill & Isabella Churchill are not very likeable characters either.
Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Author
SyrieJames
0 Kudos

I also love Jane! It was so important to me that she be real and sensitive, a woman with deep feelings, who is also and fun and likeable, and worthy of the respect and admiration that she commands two hundred years later... but also human-- and fallible. As for the unlikeable characters... I like to think that Jane Austen enjoyed creating the unlikeable characters in her books. I certainly had fun creating mine! Every good story needs its "villains"!

LizzieAnn wrote:
I love Jane in this novel - the girl Jane as opposed to the writer. You can see some of her characters within her personality - Lizzie & Marianne, for example. And Cassandra is a likeable counterpart to Jane. Their relationship is fun & alive.

I truly dislike the Churchills. Mr. Churchill is a friend of Henry Austen. He sees Mr. Ashford's interest in Jane but doesn't take the steps to talk to his friend Henry to tell him about Mr. Ashford's expectations & to have him warn Jane. Mrs. Churchill & Isabella Churchill are not very likeable characters either.

Learn more about
The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen

Visit www.syriejames.com
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

LizzieAnn wrote:

I agree with this also. It is part of a friend's place I believe, if you see a friend going to be hurt, to warn them. Maybe they want listen, but at least if you really care for that friend, a warning would be saying you did what you could for a friend.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

LizzieAnn wrote:

I agree with this also. It is part of a friend's place I believe, if you see a friend going to be hurt, to warn them. Maybe they want listen, but at least if you really care for that friend, a warning would be saying you did what you could for a friend.

I do also love Jane in this novel. She really comes alive to me!
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

I do also love Jane in this novel. She really comes alive to me!

She truly does! She's very real & very likeable.
Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon