Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Lost Memoirs: Concluding Chapters, 21-27

[ Edited ]
Please use this thread to discuss the last chapters, and the novel as a whole. Please beware if you haven't yet finished the book that this thread will be full of spoilers without notice!

Message Edited by Jessica on 01-31-2008 04:15 PM
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Chapters 21-24

I love the scene in Chapter 21 when Jane's family is commenting on her revised version of Sense & Sensibility. The way her mother condemns Willoughby's actions & Cassandra's worry of Jane. How Jane supposedly took what happened to her real life and poured that emotion into S&S. They make Jane realize that she made Willoughy too evil, and she tries to clean him up a little with that scene between him & Eleanor.

I got a kick out of the meeting between Jane & Sir Walter Scott. It was a fun twist to have Jane suggest to Scott that he change his Waverly from a poem into a novel! :smileywink: How he says to himself on page 249: "'Now there is an idea. A novel'"

It's sweet to see Jane transported to joy in chapter 23. I got a chuckle out of the scene where Cassandra bursts in on Jane & Ashford. Wouldn't you love to know if Jane included a similiar scene in First Impressions before of after this occurred?

In Chapter 24 when I read Ashford asking Jane to call him Frederick, I couldn't help but think of Persuasion. In that story Anne ultimately does get her Frederick. Did Jane somehow hope she would get hers? Is that why she gave this older steadfast hero that name?
Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Re: Chapters 21-24

LizzieAnn wrote:
I love the scene in Chapter 21 when Jane's family is commenting on her revised version of Sense & Sensibility. The way her mother condemns Willoughby's actions & Cassandra's worry of Jane. How Jane supposedly took what happened to her real life and poured that emotion into S&S. They make Jane realize that she made Willoughy too evil, and she tries to clean him up a little with that scene between him & Eleanor.

I got a kick out of the meeting between Jane & Sir Walter Scott. It was a fun twist to have Jane suggest to Scott that he change his Waverly from a poem into a novel! :smileywink: How he says to himself on page 249: "'Now there is an idea. A novel'"

It's sweet to see Jane transported to joy in chapter 23. I got a chuckle out of the scene where Cassandra bursts in on Jane & Ashford. Wouldn't you love to know if Jane included a similiar scene in First Impressions before of after this occurred?

In Chapter 24 when I read Ashford asking Jane to call him Frederick, I couldn't help but think of Persuasion. In that story Anne ultimately does get her Frederick. Did Jane somehow hope she would get hers? Is that why she gave this older steadfast hero that name?

Lizzie Ann; I love what you wrote. (Her Frederick) and the one in Persuasion. I had to smile. It does seem so real.
dg
Frequent Contributor
dg
0 Kudos

Re: Concluding Chapters, 21-27

Really enjoyed the book. It did remind me of Jane Austen's writings and was fun to read. I thought it was a great idea for a book.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

dg wrote:
Really enjoyed the book. It did remind me of Jane Austen's writings and was fun to read. I thought it was a great idea for a book.

I know dg; isn't it amazing how an author can do that? Write like someone else especially a classic writer like Jane Austen.
Frequent Contributor
KristyR
0 Kudos

I was definitely kept guessing until the very end. I kept wondering, "How would it end?" and "What would keep them apart?".

Thank you Syrie, for whisking me away to another time and place. I thoroughly enjoyed the ride.
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Concluding Chapters, 25-27, Afterword

The last chapters were a perfect conclusion to the story.

Chapter 25 was a bittersweet roller-coaster ride as Jane experiences the high of learning she would be a published author thanks to Mr. Ashford's generosity (An interesting twist! Somewhat reminiscent of Darcy & Mr. Gardiner in P&P) and then Jane experiences the deepest low learning of Mr. Ashford's impending & honor-bound marriage to Isabella.

Chapter 26 repeats the ride with Jane again agreeing to marry Mr. Ashford and then giving him up for the sake of his family & property. I particularly like how he encourages Jane not to give up on her writing, encouraging her continue First Impressions.

Chapter 27 gave us a chance to hear Jane's thoughts and conclusions. It was a fitting conclusion to Jane's story, especially the last sentence of the chapter:

I have come to believe, in the end, that there is not shame in truth, only freedom; and that, in time, every tale has a right to be told. (page 298)

The Editor's Afterword was a perfect touch as well. The explanations of her ill health and of how her feelings may have influenced her writing of Persuasion seem so apt. I can't help but think that Jane would smile at the last paragraph of this novel:

But another theory, which cannot be ignored, can best be summed up in the words of her youn nephew James-Edward, who so solemnly asked his aunt Jane, on that golden mroning at Steventon, "Do you mean to say, that if I believe in your story as you h ave told it, then it is as good as if it were true?" (page 303)

Syrie James has given us a truly wonderful & enjoyable novel.
Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Author
SyrieJames
0 Kudos

Thank you, everyone, for your comments, and for letting me know what you liked about the book. I really was filled with a burning desire to "tell this tale." After all the (years of!) hard work, it is so gratifying to discover an appreciative audience!

Syrie

KristyR wrote:
I was definitely kept guessing until the very end. I kept wondering, "How would it end?" and "What would keep them apart?".

Thank you Syrie, for whisking me away to another time and place. I thoroughly enjoyed the ride.

Learn more about
The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen

Visit www.syriejames.com
Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Did you learn anything new or surprising about Jane?

Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

SyrieJames wrote:
Thank you, everyone, for your comments, and for letting me know what you liked about the book. I really was filled with a burning desire to "tell this tale." After all the (years of!) hard work, it is so gratifying to discover an appreciative audience!

Syrie

KristyR wrote:

This is so true. KristyR.