Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Lost Memoirs: Favorite Passages?

[ Edited ]
Do you have favorite passages you want to share from the novel? Anything you just had to reread or read aloud to someone else?

Message Edited by Jessica on 01-31-2008 04:11 PM
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Favorite Passage - Chapter 14

The entire book is so good that it's hard to pick particular passages. But, among those I enjoyed from the first half of the book is:

Of Edward and Elinor's fate, I experienced a smiliar awakening. At last, I knew what terrible secret Edward harboured, which kept him from declaring his love to her.

"Good God!" cried Cassandra, when she had finished reading the newest chapters of my book, in which I added two brand-new and quite unlikeable characters, the Steel sisters. "This secret engagement of four years standing, which have introduced between Edward and Miss Lucy Steele - "

"Do not you think it is a brilliant and inspired touch?"

"I do," agreed Cassandra, "but it is so - "

"Sad? Infuriating? Familiar? A case of life begetting art?"

"I was going to say dark. Your story is much darker than before."

"Darker fits my mood," I replied.

In Chapter 14 (pages 158-159) when Cassandra comments on the situation of Edward & Elinor in Sense & Sensibility.

This is so real and brings to life Jane's pain. It's easy to sympathize with her pain & anger. We can even assume that it never truly fades because we later come across another secret engagement in Emma.
Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Frequent Contributor
ELee
0 Kudos

Re: Favorite Passages?

One of the things that I have always enjoyed in Austen's writing is the dry/subtle humor of some of her characters. I was not disappointed by TLMoJA. When Mr. Ashford coordinates a picnic for Jane, Cassandra and the Churchills, Maria Churchill observes that the ride in the skiff "shall most certainly" cause her to catch her "death of cold".

"I fear you will all be bringing hot soup to my sick-bed at this same time tomorrow."

Her husband calmly observes

"If you die of the cold, my dear, we shall have no need to bring you soup."

I was reminded of a similar statement from my own past. When I was in college (many, many years ago), three of us went to one friend's grandparent's house for lunch. Very nice people, but subdued and reserved in an age-appropriate way. As we were sitting down to eat, the grandmother must have felt the need to refresh the lagging conversation. Similarly to the way one of us "young folks" would begin by saying "you know what?", she said "Do you know something?"

The grandfather calmly allowed his gaze to pass over all of our attentive faces and rest on his wife's face, replying

"Everybody knows something, dear."
Frequent Contributor
KristyR
0 Kudos

Re: Favorite Passage - Chapter 14 and Chapter 21

LizzieAnn wrote:
The entire book is so good that it's hard to pick particular passages. But, among those I enjoyed from the first half of the book is:

Of Edward and Elinor's fate, I experienced a smiliar awakening. At last, I knew what terrible secret Edward harboured, which kept him from declaring his love to her.

"Good God!" cried Cassandra, when she had finished reading the newest chapters of my book, in which I added two brand-new and quite unlikeable characters, the Steel sisters. "This secret engagement of four years standing, which have introduced between Edward and Miss Lucy Steele - "

"Do not you think it is a brilliant and inspired touch?"

"I do," agreed Cassandra, "but it is so - "

"Sad? Infuriating? Familiar? A case of life begetting art?"

"I was going to say dark. Your story is much darker than before."

"Darker fits my mood," I replied.

In Chapter 14 (pages 158-159) when Cassandra comments on the situation of Edward & Elinor in Sense & Sensibility.

This is so real and brings to life Jane's pain. It's easy to sympathize with her pain & anger. We can even assume that it never truly fades because we later come across another secret engagement in Emma.

I like this passage as well. Also when Jane reads the nearly finished novel to her mother, Cassandra, and Martha in chapter 21 (p.237), their reactions are priceless. The characters have become so real to them and they are appalled at what is transpiring.

"Well, she has used it to write a very somber story, if you ask me," cried my mother. "Very somber. As if Willoughby's other faults were not bad enough, now you give him past transgressions that can never be excused or redeemed! And that letter he wrote to Marianne, casting her aside as if she were nothing. Why, it was the most cruel, unfeeling thing I have ever heard. My heart quite went out to her, Jane. When she cried, I was moved to tears, real tears, I tell you."

"At the eleventh hour, much to the gratification of the women of my household, I inserted a scene in which Willoughby returns to apologize.
Thank you, Jane, said Cassandra, relieved, when I read the newly written scene aloud. I feel much better now."
Author
SyrieJames
0 Kudos

Re: Favorite Passages (warning; spoilers!)

Thank you for sharing your favorite passages. It is so gratifying to know that readers share my enthusiasm for Jane, and for this novel. Two of my favorite scenes are the first meeting between Jane and Mr. Ashford at Lyme... and the scene where Mr. Ashford, at long last, is free to reveal his love for Jane. My husband loves the gypsy scene in Chapter 24. I especially enjoyed creating the comic scenes, and the scenes in which Jane weaves her real life circumstances into her work. And I must admit-- no matter how many times I reread it, the final scene between Jane and Mr. Ashford always brings tears to my eyes.

Readers: are there any other favorite scenes or passages from the novel you'd like to share?

Learn more about
The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen

Visit www.syriejames.com
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Favorite Scene (warning; spoilers!)

I too found the scene between Jane and Mr. Ashford in Chapter 27 to be very emotional & definitely one of my favorites in the novel. Particularly the part when they're talking about First Impressions and how it should be written.
Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon