Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Lost Memoirs: Marriage (Spoilers!)

[ Edited ]
Can you talk about the differences between the role of marriage in a woman's life, and the role of marriage in a man's life, as they are portrayed here?

Jane receives three proposals. What do you make of her reactions, and of the proposals themselves?

Message Edited by Jessica on 01-31-2008 04:09 PM
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Re: Marriage (Spoilers!)

rkubie wrote:
Can you talk about the differences between the role of marriage in a woman's life, and the role of marriage in a man's life, as they are portrayed here?

Jane receives three proposals. What do you make of her reactions, and of the proposals themselves?

I really feel that Jane was very typical to all of us , women. She wanted someone, that she adored, that respected her and wanted and loved her for her and not any other reason.
I always felt sorry for her that she didn't find this in her life. Of course, her life was cut off so very young by her disease but still, she was a geniune great lady that deserved the love she yearned for I am sure.

Because even the man she was deeply in love with, didn't love her enought to leave his family behind for her. She would always know deep inside, that something could creep between them in a heartbeat because she wasnt first within his heart.
Frequent Contributor
KristyR
0 Kudos

In this book Mr. Ashford was forced to play the role of a woman by his father's poor financial decisions. He has to marry a wealthy woman to save his family and protect his inheritance, and he does. Jane was expected to do the same thing and chose not to; she refused to marry for money and security. This is an interesting twist.
Author
SyrieJames
0 Kudos

In fact, at the end of the novel, Mr. Ashford (who is deeply in love with Jane) is determined to give up everything for her. He clearly states that he wants Jane over any piece of land, or any amount of money. It is Jane herself who, in the final moments, makes the crisis decision to end their relationship, because she believes it is best for him and his family.

kiakar wrote:

rkubie wrote:

I really feel that Jane was very typical to all of us , women. She wanted someone, that she adored, that respected her and wanted and loved her for her and not any other reason.
I always felt sorry for her that she didn't find this in her life. Of course, her life was cut off so very young by her disease but still, she was a geniune great lady that deserved the love she yearned for I am sure.

Because even the man she was deeply in love with, didn't love her enought to leave his family behind for her. She would always know deep inside, that something could creep between them in a heartbeat because she wasnt first within his heart.

Learn more about
The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen

Visit www.syriejames.com
Rachel-K
0 Kudos

KristyR wrote:
In this book Mr. Ashford was forced to play the role of a woman by his father's poor financial decisions. He has to marry a wealthy woman to save his family and protect his inheritance, and he does. Jane was expected to do the same thing and chose not to; she refused to marry for money and security. This is an interesting twist.

Interesting comment! Of course, he also had other burdens placed on the decision, didn't he? (Do I just want to forgive him?) His sister and father, the fact that he had, by law, to inherit the property and it's responsibilities, couldn't pass it up, etc. But Jane had to make the decision!

Did you feel he was to blame a little?

Something else interesting to me about this ending is that it is very satisfying even though it is sad--it might be a broken romance, but the love was genuine in it. Did anyone else feel that way?
Frequent Contributor
KristyR
0 Kudos

rkubie wrote:

KristyR wrote:

Interesting comment! Of course, he also had other burdens placed on the decision, didn't he? (Do I just want to forgive him?) His sister and father, the fact that he had, by law, to inherit the property and it's responsibilities, couldn't pass it up, etc. But Jane had to make the decision!

Something else interesting to me about this ending is that it is very satisfying even though it is sad--it might be a broken romance, but the love was genuine in it. Did anyone else feel that way?

Although Mr. Ashford did have other burdens placed on his decision, so did Jane. She could have secured a home for herself, her mother, sister, and Martha had she accepted either of her first two offers of marriage. Her decisions caused them to remain homeless (moving from relative to relative and friend to friend) for quite awhile. That said, I do like Mr. Ashford. What really struck me was how little control young adults (unmarried grown children) had over their own lives.

I liked the ending of the story very much. We knew she couldn't marry him, so something had to happen to keep them apart. I'm just very glad he didn't end up either dying or turning out like Wickham or Willoughby!
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Marriage (Spoilers!)

A similiar thought crossed my mind. Jane's decision affected mainly just herself, while Mr. Ashford's decision affected not only himself but all those he was responsible for. It was wonderful that he was willing to put himself & Jane above all that, but in the end Jane made the noble sacrifice. It was an interesting twist to have such a situation, mainly because it could have happened. It's well know that both men & women married for money & estates.

In some ways I pity Mr. Ashford quite a bit - imagine having to live with Isabelle (especially since they both had feelings for others) after having fallen in love with someone like Jane. As difficult as it was for Jane, she may have had the better life in the long run.

I agree with you about the ending too - the love was quite genuine and the sacrifice had great meaning.

rkubie wrote:

Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Frequent Contributor
CanTri
0 Kudos

I have to admit that there was a part of me that hoped, maybe, Ms James would stray from historical accuracy and give Jane a happy ending. They were so perfect for each other...