Reply
Moderator
Rachel-K
Posts: 1,495
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Lost Memoirs: Middle Chapters, 11-20

[ Edited ]
Please use this thread to discuss the middle chapters of The Lost Memoirs, from chapter ll, where Jane stays up all night, beginning to revise Sense and Sensibility, through chapter 20, where she is surprised by Mr. Morton in the garden.

Message Edited by Jessica on 01-31-2008 04:09 PM
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
Posts: 2,344
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Middle Chapters, 11-14

In chapter 11 it's a great turn to see Jane take up her writing again when she begins to rewrite Sense & Sensibility. Her coming alive, her feelings for Ashford, his conviction in her abilities all seem to trigger off her renewed interest in writing. I particularly liked the exchange between her & Cassandra regarding the new opening of the novel (pages 131-132). The exchanges between her & Mr. Ashford regarding the novel are very enjoyable.

The bantering between Jane & Cassandra regarding Mr. Ashford in Chapter 12 show two sisters very in tune with one another. The confusion of Jane at the end of the chapter is so very real, and I can't help but sympathize with Jane's shock in Chapter 13 when she learns the truth regarding Mr. Ashford. Cassandra again proves herself by supporting and taking care of Jane. It's easy to see that the anger and pain that Jane is suffering is that which Elinor suffers in S&S. And Isabelle is as unlikeable in her way as Lucy Steele is in hers. I wonder why the Churchills didn't warn off Jane via Henry.

Jane's comment to Cassandra on page 159 is particularly apt: "Sad? Infuriating? Familiar? A case of life begetting art?".
Liz ♥ ♥


Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Wordsmith
kiakar
Posts: 3,435
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Middle Chapters, 11-14 sisters togetherness

I liked the relationship Cassandra and Jane had. I don't know why, but I have never wondered much about their relationship but Silvy paints it as a wonderful inspiring relationship. I think its so great when sisters are this close. It makes it all right with the world when you can always depend on a sister through thick and thin. Just to air out opinions and thoughts with a sister. I have great friends but a sister to me is the best. I lost my older sister recently to cancer and this was really heartwrenching to me. She and I didn't live very close but we usually emailed each other alot and now Ihave a younger sister that I am trying to get closer to. Our problem is distance but not mileage its age difference. ha. I am ten yrs older than she is, and her way of life is not quite like mine at this given time. But since we lost Rose, Becky and I really are trying to get closer.
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
Posts: 2,344
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Middle Chapters, 11-14 sisters togetherness

Dear Kiakar,

My sympathies on the loss of your sister. The ten years between yourself & your younger sister won't matter as you become closer.

I don't have any sisters, but I've often wished I had. My friends who do have sisters seem to be to be very lucky people.

What I like about this book is that Jane & Cassandra seem to have an equal relationship - more like Jane & Lizzy in P&P. In some of my past readings, Jane has come across as deferential to her sister - they seemed to be very different.





kiakar wrote:
I liked the relationship Cassandra and Jane had. I don't know why, but I have never wondered much about their relationship but Silvy paints it as a wonderful inspiring relationship. I think its so great when sisters are this close. It makes it all right with the world when you can always depend on a sister through thick and thin. Just to air out opinions and thoughts with a sister. I have great friends but a sister to me is the best. I lost my older sister recently to cancer and this was really heartwrenching to me. She and I didn't live very close but we usually emailed each other alot and now Ihave a younger sister that I am trying to get closer to. Our problem is distance but not mileage its age difference. ha. I am ten yrs older than she is, and her way of life is not quite like mine at this given time. But since we lost Rose, Becky and I really are trying to get closer.


Liz ♥ ♥


Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Author
SyrieJames
Posts: 36
Registered: ‎12-19-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Middle Chapters, 11-14 sisters togetherness

My portrayal of the relationship between Jane and Cassandra is inspired by the countless Jane Austen biographies I read, and all of her published letters (most of which are to Cassandra.) The two sisters shared every detail of their lives, knew everything about each other, and were extremely close. They shared a bedroom all their life, even when their house was large enough that they could have had separate rooms. It was clear that they admired each other, recognized each others' strengths and weaknesses, and loved each other dearly.




LizzieAnn wrote:
Dear Kiakar,

My sympathies on the loss of your sister. The ten years between yourself & your younger sister won't matter as you become closer.

I don't have any sisters, but I've often wished I had. My friends who do have sisters seem to be to be very lucky people.

What I like about this book is that Jane & Cassandra seem to have an equal relationship - more like Jane & Lizzy in P&P. In some of my past readings, Jane has come across as deferential to her sister - they seemed to be very different.





kiakar wrote:
I liked the relationship Cassandra and Jane had. I don't know why, but I have never wondered much about their relationship but Silvy paints it as a wonderful inspiring relationship. I think its so great when sisters are this close. It makes it all right with the world when you can always depend on a sister through thick and thin. Just to air out opinions and thoughts with a sister. I have great friends but a sister to me is the best. I lost my older sister recently to cancer and this was really heartwrenching to me. She and I didn't live very close but we usually emailed each other alot and now Ihave a younger sister that I am trying to get closer to. Our problem is distance but not mileage its age difference. ha. I am ten yrs older than she is, and her way of life is not quite like mine at this given time. But since we lost Rose, Becky and I really are trying to get closer.






Learn more about
The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen





Visit www.syriejames.com
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
Posts: 2,344
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Middle Chapters, 15-20

Maybe it was watching Persuasion on Masterpiece Theatre last night, but Jane's sister-in-law Mary much reminds of me of Mary Musgrove. Chapter 15 also re-enforced how difficult it must have been for women like Jane & Cassandra. I also love the rapport between Jane & her nieces & nephews.

And in Chapter 16, Althea's trying to escape Mr. Morton's attentions - shades of Lizzy & Mr. Collins. I'm enjoying the connections between Jane's life and novels that the author has given us. It's a wonderful illustration of Jane and how she took from life to write. And Chapter 17's Pembroke Hall & Mr. Ashford!! Since Pride & Prejudice is my favorite all-time novel (not just of Jane Austen's), I take particular delight in the connections. I love the paragraph on page 189 when Jane is thinking to herself - utilizing her impressions to improve her novel . . .

Mr. Darcy . . . must reside in Derbyshire. And his grand estate . . . I should call it Pemberley."

I have to say that I laughed outloud with this - it struck such a chord with me. Kudos to Syrie James!! And then the gallery scene! But what was really so good about this part is that Jane isn't easily swept away - she cannot reconcile what Mr. Ashford did to her with all the good things she's hearing about him. Her pain and anger are so real and understandable.

In those few weeks in which Mr. Ashford deliberately . . . made me grow to love him, while at the same time withholding a most crucial piece of information about himself, did he have no regard for my feelings? Did he not realise how much pain he was to cause me? Or did he not care?
(page 193)

I found myself totally in sympathy with Jane. Particularly when she had to hear about the upcoming wedding. :smileysad: And then to meet up again with Mr. Ashford & the Churchills in Chapter 18!! I could just envision her later using her emotions and putting them forth into Pride & Prejudice! I cheered Jane on as she dealt with Mr. Ashford & Isabella Churchill, in Chapters 18-20, along with Mr. Morton! Jane has been written with a strong sense of self and character!
Liz ♥ ♥


Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Author
SyrieJames
Posts: 36
Registered: ‎12-19-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Middle Chapters, 15-20

Thanks, Liz, for all your wonderful comments. You made my day!



LizzieAnn wrote:
Maybe it was watching Persuasion on Masterpiece Theatre last night, but Jane's sister-in-law Mary much reminds of me of Mary Musgrove. Chapter 15 also re-enforced how difficult it must have been for women like Jane & Cassandra. I also love the rapport between Jane & her nieces & nephews.

And in Chapter 16, Althea's trying to escape Mr. Morton's attentions - shades of Lizzy & Mr. Collins. I'm enjoying the connections between Jane's life and novels that the author has given us. It's a wonderful illustration of Jane and how she took from life to write. And Chapter 17's Pembroke Hall & Mr. Ashford!! Since Pride & Prejudice is my favorite all-time novel (not just of Jane Austen's), I take particular delight in the connections. I love the paragraph on page 189 when Jane is thinking to herself - utilizing her impressions to improve her novel . . .

Mr. Darcy . . . must reside in Derbyshire. And his grand estate . . . I should call it Pemberley."

I have to say that I laughed outloud with this - it struck such a chord with me. Kudos to Syrie James!! And then the gallery scene! But what was really so good about this part is that Jane isn't easily swept away - she cannot reconcile what Mr. Ashford did to her with all the good things she's hearing about him. Her pain and anger are so real and understandable.

In those few weeks in which Mr. Ashford deliberately . . . made me grow to love him, while at the same time withholding a most crucial piece of information about himself, did he have no regard for my feelings? Did he not realise how much pain he was to cause me? Or did he not care?
(page 193)

I found myself totally in sympathy with Jane. Particularly when she had to hear about the upcoming wedding. :smileysad: And then to meet up again with Mr. Ashford & the Churchills in Chapter 18!! I could just envision her later using her emotions and putting them forth into Pride & Prejudice! I cheered Jane on as she dealt with Mr. Ashford & Isabella Churchill, in Chapters 18-20, along with Mr. Morton! Jane has been written with a strong sense of self and character!



Learn more about
The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen





Visit www.syriejames.com