Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Lost Memoirs: Opening chapters, 1-10

[ Edited ]
Please use this thread to discuss the first part of The Lost Memoirs, from the beginning through chapter ten, (which is where Jane has a picnic with Mr. Ashford and the Churchills.)

Message Edited by Jessica on 01-31-2008 04:07 PM
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Foreword - Chapter 3

Editor's Foreword

The details (by the fictional Dr. Mary I Jesse) given as to the discovery of Jane's papers at Chawton and the theories were great - particularly the fact that the papers were in a walled-up sea chest and the explanation of Jane's spellings.

Chapters 1-3

The tone of writing is such that I can see/hear Jane talking to herself as she labors to write her journals. I especially liked where (in the 2nd paragraph of Chapter 1) she makes the comment that I've often read/heard: how she could "write about the revered institutions of love and courtship, having never experienced them herself?" (page 8).

It was interesting to see the tie-ins between Jane's novels & life there "in her own words." Such as Chapter 2's comment about "poor, widowed, and spinster relations" (page 23)brings to mind Persuasion and Sense & Sensibility, and mention of Cowper's works which are found in Mansfield Park. To see/hear Jane relate to her family and to the everyday life is a joy to read. And Chapter 3's visit to Lyme immediately brings to mind Persuasion, particularly when reading about Jane's climbing the steep & perilous stair and meeting a handsome man.

I especially liked her comment near the end of Chapter 3: "Never trust your first impressions, Mr. Ashford. They are invariably wrong." (page 46) It instantly takes me to my favorite Jane Austen novel, Pride & Prejudice.

The author has introduced me to a very real Jane - a personification of a young & lively woman.
Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Contributor
Rachael_Grimes
0 Kudos

Re: Opening chapters, 1-10

I just obtained my copy of, "The Lost Memoirs Of Jane Austen." I opened the novel up, for the first time after arriving 30 minutes early for my weekly training Mary Kay meeting. I was so spell bound by the novel, that even I was in my truck right out side of the training center, I was still 5 minutes late. I just simply could not put it down. There was no abruptness of slipping into the character of Jane her-self. Just laying there contemplating the fleetingness in life, and the internal desire of her to have her life be known for what it was and had been versus what she had shared up to that point in her life.
Rachael
-that saddest words in tong and pen are to wonder what could have been. Lucy M. Montgomery
Author
SyrieJames
0 Kudos

Re: Foreword - Chapter 3

I'm delighted that you are enjoying my novel, and so pleased that you recognize the tie-ins between Jane's novels & her life!

LizzieAnn wrote:
Editor's Foreword

The details (by the fictional Dr. Mary I Jesse) given as to the discovery of Jane's papers at Chawton and the theories were great - particularly the fact that the papers were in a walled-up sea chest and the explanation of Jane's spellings.

Chapters 1-3

The tone of writing is such that I can see/hear Jane talking to herself as she labors to write her journals. I especially liked where (in the 2nd paragraph of Chapter 1) she makes the comment that I've often read/heard: how she could "write about the revered institutions of love and courtship, having never experienced them herself?" (page 8).

It was interesting to see the tie-ins between Jane's novels & life there "in her own words." Such as Chapter 2's comment about "poor, widowed, and spinster relations" (page 23)brings to mind Persuasion and Sense & Sensibility, and mention of Cowper's works which are found in Mansfield Park. To see/hear Jane relate to her family and to the everyday life is a joy to read. And Chapter 3's visit to Lyme immediately brings to mind Persuasion, particularly when reading about Jane's climbing the steep & perilous stair and meeting a handsome man.

I especially liked her comment near the end of Chapter 3: "Never trust your first impressions, Mr. Ashford. They are invariably wrong." (page 46) It instantly takes me to my favorite Jane Austen novel, Pride & Prejudice.

The author has introduced me to a very real Jane - a personification of a young & lively woman.

Learn more about
The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen

Visit www.syriejames.com
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Chapters 4-10

It's fun to see the camarderie between Jane & Mr. Ashford in Chapter 4, as well as the references to Derbyshire & Ashford's being "the rightful property of any one or other of their daughters" (page 50). Jane is a very real person to me now, and I can see her both come alive and come into her own.

Chapters 5 & 6 brings to life Harris Bigg-Wither and the extremely short engagement of Jane & Harris. In the biographie's of Jane's life that I've read, this is usually given short shrift. This novel gives an interesting interpretation of what might have possibly occurred between them. It's interesting to see Harris in a less than flattering light and to see Jane weigh security versus emotion.

In Chapter 7, I got a real chuckle out the the "mother-in-law" aspect of Mrs. Austen when, after learning that Edward was now providing them with a home, she states that her late daughter-in-law must have kept Edward from doing it earlier. The way that Jane runs through such a scenario in her mind was a great touch, knowing that such a scene exists in Sense & Sensibility.

When we meet Mrs. Jenkins, Isabel, the Churchills, and Mr. Ashford again in Chapter 8-10, Jane's excitment and joy can easily be felt although there's the impression that something is not quite right. The scene in chapter 10 when Jane & Ashford exchange dreams is very touching.

I enjoyed the first part of the book!
Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Re: Chapters 4-10 Two Novels

This is definitely like reading two novels. They are both wonderful. It seems I have read one, but a nice review is delightful. I love the way you enterwined the new story and the one she wrote before.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Re: Opening chapters, 1-10 writing what she knew.

While reading this novel, I remember all the other novels Jane Austen wrote and recall my thoughts while reading them. I wonder if this has happened in Jane's life? Where did this come from? And you have addressed this part of my wondering all these things about her books. This is a fantastic story, you are a very creataive writer.
Author
SyrieJames
0 Kudos

Re: Opening chapters, 1-10 writing what she knew.

I'm so glad you enjoyed my "suppositions" as to what inspired certain events in Jane Austen's fiction. It was great fun to take the known facts of Jane Austen's life, and then let my imagination take over and fill in the gaps! I loved creating characters inspired by Austen's beloved characters-- and then arranging it so that it appears as if the reverse occurred-- as if the people in this novel actually inspired her to write about them. I particularly loved inventing Mr. Ashford, and Jane Austen's relationship with him.

kiakar wrote:
While reading this novel, I remember all the other novels Jane Austen wrote and recall my thoughts while reading them. I wonder if this has happened in Jane's life? Where did this come from? And you have addressed this part of my wondering all these things about her books. This is a fantastic story, you are a very creataive writer.

Learn more about

Visit www.syriejames.com
Frequent Contributor
CanTri
0 Kudos

The further I'm reading into the book the more I find I have to remind myself that this really isn't Jane writing. The flow and events are so similar to the novels that I've caught myself a couple times believing that I really am reading Jane Austen herself.
Wonderful!
Kim in NY
Frequent Contributor
CanTri
0 Kudos

Re: Foreword - Chapter 3

LizzieAnn wrote:
Editor's Foreword

This is the only part of the book thus far(I'm on chapter 12), that I didn't like, and being that it was first, it initially really turned me off to the book. I decided to give it a chance and read the first couple chapters and they were marvelous and I've kept reading, with much enjoyment.
New User
kfeaver
0 Kudos

I just wanted to say that I'm enjoying the "memoir" so far...

I am annoyed at the mistakes in the novel...like on page 82 "I am convinced I could never make him happy, and he would be not be happy with me."

It's either "he would not be happy with me," or "He would be not happy with me."

But not both "he would be not be..."

I would get a better editor.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

CanTri wrote:
The further I'm reading into the book the more I find I have to remind myself that this really isn't Jane writing. The flow and events are so similar to the novels that I've caught myself a couple times believing that I really am reading Jane Austen herself.
Wonderful!
Kim in NY

I was the same way while reading this. I just knew this was really true, that lost manuscripts were found of Jane's writing. It does sound so genuine.
Author
SyrieJames
0 Kudos

I am a perfectionist, and typos really bother me, too. You would not believe how many times I read over the manuscript, trying to catch every little glitch, and there were two editors and proofreaders after me. Despite this, to my great embarrassment, I found 8 typos in the book after publication. I forwarded the list to the publisher (I also noticed the error you found) and have been promised that they will be corrected in the next printing!

kfeaver wrote:
I just wanted to say that I'm enjoying the "memoir" so far...

I am annoyed at the mistakes in the novel...like on page 82 "I am convinced I could never make him happy, and he would be not be happy with me."

It's either "he would not be happy with me," or "He would be not happy with me."

But not both "he would be not be..."

I would get a better editor.

Learn more about

Visit www.syriejames.com
Author
SyrieJames
0 Kudos

I'm delighted that the book transported you into Jane's mind and world. After all my intense research, it was exciting to imagine what Jane Austen might have felt or thought or done, and the book was such fun to write!

kiakar wrote:

CanTri wrote:
Wonderful!
Kim in NY

I was the same way while reading this. I just knew this was really true, that lost manuscripts were found of Jane's writing. It does sound so genuine.

Learn more about

Visit www.syriejames.com
Frequent Contributor
KristyR
0 Kudos

I am enjoying this book very much. I love the way Jane's novels are woven into the tale. I have never read Northanger Abbey, but I find I can no longer put it off. I have to figure out how it fits into this book!
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

KristyR wrote:
I am enjoying this book very much. I love the way Jane's novels are woven into the tale. I have never read Northanger Abbey, but I find I can no longer put it off. I have to figure out how it fits into this book!

Yes, KristyR., that is one I haven't read in so long. Why I do not read it over like the rest I do not know. I have read P&P,S&S and Emma three times in the last few years but not Northanger but one time and its been years ago. I know its a great story that is all I can remember. I kind of get Mansfield Park mixed up with Northanger Abbey in my head!
I wish we could read them on the Barnes and Noble but they would never be nominated or voted on anymore since Lizzie is not moderator anymore.
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

BNBC Northanger Abbey Discussion

Just to let you know that Melissa is going to be moderating a discussion of Northanger Abbey in February on the Literature by Women board.

Here is a link to the message in case you're interested.
Liz ♥ ♥

Frequent Contributor
KristyR
0 Kudos

Re: BNBC Northanger Abbey Discussion

LizzieAnn wrote:
Just to let you know that Melissa is going to be moderating a discussion of Northanger Abbey in February on the Literature by Women board.

Thanks LizzieAnn, I would have missed it otherwise!
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Re: BNBC Northanger Abbey Discussion

KristyR wrote:

LizzieAnn wrote:

Thanks LizzieAnn, I would have missed it otherwise!

Yes, one of my buddies emailed me that Northanger Abbey was going to be on B&N and I nearly fainted How wonderful I was wrong.
Author
SyrieJames
0 Kudos

I'm so glad you are enjoying the way Jane's novels are woven into my book. It was great fun to imagine the real experiences that may have inspired her.

KristyR wrote:

Learn more about

Visit www.syriejames.com