Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Rachel-K
0 Kudos

New Reads: East of the Sun

Three young British women and an expelled British schoolboy take a first class cruise to India in 1928. Viva Holloway, after growing up an orphan, is acting as chaperon to her companions and is returning to India to collect a few things left by her parents. Rose Whetherby is traveling to marry an officer she barely knows, and her best friend, Tor, who accompanies her, is desperate to get out from under a cruel mother and to meet a man who will "seize" her and sweep her off her feet. Guy Glover has been asked to leave his school, and is being sent home to his parents. British rule in India is quickly disintegrating while many of the British expatriates living there doggedly ignore the growing dangers.

This is a beautifully written novel and a gripping story, both for it's characters and for it's larger context of allowing us a glimpse at "British" India in the late 1920s.

It also won Romantic Novel of the Year in the UK.

Please help me welcome Julia Gregson to the discussion boards!

Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Re: New Reads: East of the Sun

Here's a brief bio of Julia:

Julia Gregson has worked as a journalist and a foreign correspondent in the U.K., Australia, and the U.S. Her second novel, East of the Sun will be published by Touchstone in June 2009. It was a major bestseller in the UK in 2008 and won the Romantic Novel of the Year Prize. Her short stories have been published in collections and magazines and read on the radio. She lives in Monmouthshire, England.

Inspired Correspondent
libralady
0 Kudos

I just came across this book this weekend when browsing the B&N website.  I was drawn in and I ordered it.  It will be here on Wednesday, July 8.  I plan to jump right in as soon as I get it. Hopefully, I will not be too far behind and will be able to get in on some of the discussion.  :smileyhappy:  It sounds like a really good summer read.

"Sow today what you want to reap tomorrow"
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Hey Libra, welcome. I think you will like the book and you are probably one of those who can read 600 pages in a weekend huh lol. I have to read about 30 pages at a time so it takes me awhile but its a well paced book. Jump in when your book comes!

libralady wrote:

I just came across this book this weekend when browsing the B&N website. I was drawn in and I ordered it. It will be here on Wednesday, July 8. I plan to jump right in as soon as I get it. Hopefully, I will not be too far behind and will be able to get in on some of the discussion. :smileyhappy: It sounds like a really good summer read.

Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Contributor
pooja84
0 Kudos

The East of Sun Novle by Julia Gregson is fabulous.In this novel you will find Three young women named-Rose, Victoria and Viva are on their way to India, each with a new life in mind.Each of them has their own reason for leaving their homeland but the hopes and secrets they carry can do little to prepare them for what lies ahead in India.