Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Jessica
0 Kudos

Questions for Syrie James

Do you have a question for Syrie? Reply to this message to start the conversation!
Contributor
ReadingFix
0 Kudos

Re: Questions for Syrie James

I have just begun the book, so my question is more along the lines of Ms. James' inspiration to write the story. Here it goes...

What first off gave you the idea to write Jane Austen's "memoirs"? What prompted the storyline?

Secondly, were you ever the least bit nervous over the reactions you'd get by Austen's devout fans?

Finally what have some reactions over your novel been? Mostly positive?

Thanks,
Cristina
Contributor
ReadingFix
0 Kudos

I realized after I posted that I meant to ask one question and ended up asking several, hence my lack of pluralization (haha is that even a word?) in my opening! =)

Oh well!

Cristina
=)
New User
Grace_Marie
0 Kudos

Jessica wrote:
Do you have a question for Syrie? Reply to this message to start the conversation!

Hi Syrie,

I just started reading your novel. I find anything pertaining to Jane Austen fascinating. She was an incredibly intelligent, witty and insightful person. Like you, Pride and Prejudice is my favorite novel. What do you think is so special about her writing that it has continued to have such an impact on readers and writers? Why has she remained so relevent when other talented authors no longer have their work read?

Grace_Marie
Author
SyrieJames
0 Kudos

Hi! I’d read and loved all of Jane Austen’s novels, and couldn’t accept the historians’ theory that this wonderful, romantic writer never fell in love herself. Since Jane Austen was a very private person—all her books were published anonymously during her lifetime—I realized it was entirely possible that she had a love affair no one knew about. I decided to give her that love affair, with the man who was her soul mate; to write the book that I wanted to read.

I read dozens of Jane Austen biographies. I studied her letters in minute detail, reread all her novels, her juvenilia, and all her unfinished works. I researched her era extensively and watched all her movies. I took a self-guided "Jane Austen Tour of England". I even took English Regency Country Dance lessons! After all the research, when I finally started writing, her voice seemed to come naturally to me.

Learn more about
The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen

Visit www.syriejames.com
Author
SyrieJames
0 Kudos

ReadingFix wrote:
I have just begun the book, so my question is more along the lines of Ms. James' inspiration to write the story. Here it goes...

What first off gave you the idea to write Jane Austen's "memoirs"? What prompted the storyline?

Secondly, were you ever the least bit nervous over the reactions you'd get by Austen's devout fans?

Finally what have some reactions over your novel been? Mostly positive?

Thanks,
Cristina

The reviews of my novel have been so gratifying! Chech them out at: www.syriejames.com.

Learn more about

Visit www.syriejames.com
Author
SyrieJames
0 Kudos

Grace_Marie wrote:

Jessica wrote:

Hi Syrie,

I just started reading your novel. I find anything pertaining to Jane Austen fascinating. She was an incredibly intelligent, witty and insightful person. Like you, Pride and Prejudice is my favorite novel. What do you think is so special about her writing that it has continued to have such an impact on readers and writers? Why has she remained so relevent when other talented authors no longer have their work read?

Grace_Marie

Austen was witty and ironic, and a brilliant craftsman. She wrote about real people in recognizable circumstances, and she examined what people risk when they fall in love—a very relatable topic in any era. I think her recent surge in popularity also owes a lot to the movies. Something magical happens when you put Jane Austen’s stories on the screen!

Learn more about

Visit www.syriejames.com
Frequent Contributor
CanTri
0 Kudos

Will you be doing a book tour? If so, when/were will it be listed? Or have you already done one and I've missed it?

Kim
Author
SyrieJames
0 Kudos

Hi Kim,

I haven't done a book tour and don't have any scheduled. At the moment I'm working very hard on my next book, and at the same time hoping to connect with readers via the internet, on my website and in formats like this one! If you would like a book signing in your area some day, please contact my publisher (Harper Collins) and let them know!

CanTri wrote:
Will you be doing a book tour? If so, when/were will it be listed? Or have you already done one and I've missed it?

Kim

Learn more about

Visit www.syriejames.com
New User
Syrie23
0 Kudos

Just had a question about your name. My name is Syrie also. I was told it is Swedish. Do you know how you received your name?
Author
SyrieJames
0 Kudos

Hi Syrie!
It's a thrill to meet another person with my name! I have always felt a little "different", having a name that no one has ever heard before, and that few know how to spell. My mother insists that she made it up, inspired by a character from a radio show that she heard when she was a little girl. I've grown to love my name, especially because my husband and my family love it so much. What's the origin of your name? What experiences did you have growing up as a "Syrie"?

Learn more about

Visit www.syriejames.com
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

SyrieJames wrote:
Hi Syrie!
It's a thrill to meet another person with my name! I have always felt a little "different", having a name that no one has ever heard before, and that few know how to spell. My mother insists that she made it up, inspired by a character from a radio show that she heard when she was a little girl. I've grown to love my name, especially because my husband and my family love it so much. What's the origin of your name? What experiences did you have growing up as a "Syrie"?

Is this pronounced Silree?
Author
SyrieJames
0 Kudos

My name is pronounced Seeree. (Rhymes with dearie.)

Learn more about

Visit www.syriejames.com
Frequent Contributor
ELee
0 Kudos

Comment for Syrie James

Syrie,

I have just finished your book, with the requisite lump in my throat and tears in my eyes, much to your credit. The highest compliment I can give you is that, if the roles were reversed (you and Jane Austen), I believe there would be very little difference in outcome. You have upheld the Austen banner admirably.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

SyrieJames wrote:
My name is pronounced Seeree. (Rhymes with dearie.)

Thanks for answering that, it is a lovely name.
Author
SyrieJames
0 Kudos

Re: Comment for Syrie James

Thank you! That's an amazing compliment!

:smileyhappy:

ELee wrote:
Syrie,

I have just finished your book, with the requisite lump in my throat and tears in my eyes, much to your credit. The highest compliment I can give you is that, if the roles were reversed (you and Jane Austen), I believe there would be very little difference in outcome. You have upheld the Austen banner admirably.

Learn more about

Visit www.syriejames.com
Frequent Contributor
CanTri
0 Kudos

SyrieJames wrote:
Hi Kim,

I haven't done a book tour and don't have any scheduled. At the moment I'm working very hard on my next book, and at the same time hoping to connect with readers via the internet, on my website and in formats like this one! If you would like a book signing in your area some day, please contact my publisher (Harper Collins) and let them know!

Could you talk a bit about your next book? You've mentioned it here and I noticed that it is also hinted at in Q&A at the end of this book. Very curious now :smileyhappy:
Author
SyrieJames
0 Kudos

You asked what I'm currently working on. I'm busy researching and writing my next book for Avon, about Charlotte Brontë (another one of my favorite writers), which reveals the truth behind her turbulent relationship with Mr. Arthur Bell Nicholls.

Unlike The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen, where I had to invent a love interest for Jane, Charlotte really did have a romance—and it was long and stormy. It's been such fun to fill in the many gaps of that story! And it's been fascinating researching the lives of the Brontës, and reading or rereading all of their novels. Charlotte's sisters and brother were also brilliant writers, and they lived almost their entire lives in a tiny, remote village in the north Yorkshire moors. They all kept secrets, which are revealed throughout the story.

You can expect to learn a bit about the inspiration for Charlotte's Jane Eyre and Villette, Emily's Wuthering Heights, and Anne's Agnes Grey and The Tenant of Wildfell Hall. My goal is for us to come to understand Charlotte's passions, witness her evolution as a writer, and, of course, to love the man who loves her, and be very invested in the fate of her romance.

CanTri wrote:

SyrieJames wrote:
Hi Kim,

Could you talk a bit about your next book? You've mentioned it here and I noticed that it is also hinted at in Q&A at the end of this book. Very curious now :smileyhappy:

Learn more about

Visit www.syriejames.com
Frequent Contributor
KristyR
0 Kudos

SyrieJames wrote:
You asked what I'm currently working on. I'm busy researching and writing my next book for Avon, about Charlotte Brontë (another one of my favorite writers), which reveals the truth behind her turbulent relationship with Mr. Arthur Bell Nicholls.

Unlike The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen, where I had to invent a love interest for Jane, Charlotte really did have a romance—and it was long and stormy. It's been such fun to fill in the many gaps of that story! And it's been fascinating researching the lives of the Brontës, and reading or rereading all of their novels. Charlotte's sisters and brother were also brilliant writers, and they lived almost their entire lives in a tiny, remote village in the north Yorkshire moors. They all kept secrets, which are revealed throughout the story.

You can expect to learn a bit about the inspiration for Charlotte's Jane Eyre and Villette, Emily's Wuthering Heights, and Anne's Agnes Grey and The Tenant of Wildfell Hall. My goal is for us to come to understand Charlotte's passions, witness her evolution as a writer, and, of course, to love the man who loves her, and be very invested in the fate of her romance.

CanTri wrote:

SyrieJames wrote:
Hi Kim,

That sounds great! I hope we have the chance to read your new book and discuss it together here in the future.
Frequent Contributor
LizzieAnn
0 Kudos

Your upcoming novel sounds great Syrie. I've always loved books that add fiction to reality. Years ago I became addicted to Jean Plaidy's books because of this. I look forwarding to reading your story about Charlotte Bronte!

SyrieJames wrote:

Liz ♥ ♥

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested. ~ Francis Bacon