Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Rachel-K
0 Kudos

Thanks to Garth and the group!

Hard to believe we are rushing through our last week here! Garth, obviously, we just loved the book and have taken full advantage of having you with us! The month has felt like dropping in on you and Drella and sitting around your kitchen table for coffee. You've been wonderfully attentive and candid and generous with your time, so, thanks from all of us!

And to the group--thanks so much for sharing your readings with the rest of us this month! My own appreciation for ARR was deepened by your comments, your questions, and your responses--a truly bright and engaged group! I hope I get to see many of you again upcoming months.

Thanks!

Rachel

Frequent Contributor
brontyman
0 Kudos

Re: Thanks to Garth and the group!

Rachel,

I second your thanks to Garth and Drella. They made the discussion feel like we were in their home speaking over coffee and desert. I wish other book clubbers have such an experience with an author and wife who gave so much of their time and insight to share! I never expect again to have such an in depth understanding and appreciate of a work. A magical book brought together a group of people who also worked their own magic to achieve a truly outstanding perspective of Garth's work. Thank you Garth and Drella, thank you Debbie, Vivian, Linda, Shirley, Brigit, Lisa, and all those who visited us no matter how briefly in the past month. Your energy and enthusiasm has made this an experience I will never forget. Your presence brought out the best in my thinking and writing.

Finally, thank you Rachel. Being a moderator is sometimes a thankless task. It is one where you have to exercise judgment and tact,  and sometimes it seems like you can please no one. Your questions started us on this journey, and your gentle oversight kept us on the path headed  down the road. Your participation was incisive and always fruitful in views of the work I had not considered. You were, to this reader, sugar on the ice cream. My thanks for a thankless job done as a true professional!

Michael

"I don't need to fight to prove I'm right. I don't need to be forgiven..."
Baba O'Reilly-The Who
Author
Garth_Stein
0 Kudos

It's been a lot of fun.  Thanks to everyone who has participated.  Our thoughts are with Vivian and her brother.  I hope to meet you all in my travels.  And whatever happens, keep reading!  (That means you, Brontyman!) 

And so, good day....

Learn more about The Art of Racing in the Rain.

Discover all Garth Stein titles.

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Garth,

It's been a real treat to have you here and all the extra thoughts and ideas you brought to this book. It is a great book. After reading this book and how it sucks you in from the beginning and all the way through, I have to say, it makes the Sawtelle book much harder to read :smileywink: . I am sticking with it tho but I do believe that those who read that book alone or first, may have enjoyed it more than if they had read this one first and had it to compare too. It may be a different type of book, but for someone like me who as I have said is not a dog person, this book really got me involved and loving one in particular! The other now is a chore, good story or not lol. I just had to share that with you, my thoughts about the two, so far anyway.

Thank you for taking time out of your life to be with us for a month. That is an awesome thing to do. And thanks for sharing a part of your current life with you, i.e. the race this past weekend, we were all enjoying that. I will be reading some of your other books now I know.

Drella, I am so glad you came in to visit with us too and share ideas. That was a cherry on top! I loved listening to both of your perspectives on the book. And I have really enjoyed meeting you both in this kind of forum, since as I said, OKC is not exactly on anyone's book tour routes lol.

AND, thank you sooo much for the outtakes! I loved that you shared those with us and will keep a copy with my book. I will have to watch who I loan this too, got to be someone who I am positive will give it back lol, or they will have to BUY one too! :smileywink:

Happy racing, happy writing and joyful living to both of you. Thanks for adding something to our lives. Bye bye, it was great meeting you!

Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Frequent Contributor
bmbrennan
0 Kudos

Let me add to the thanks especially to Garth and Drella for spending so much time with us explaining the reasons behind the book and how it came to be.  I bought this book because of the picture of the Lab on the front with no advance info other than its title, I had never read you before Garth, I have now rectified that.  Thanks to the rest of the "clubbers" here especially you Brontyman for your generosity of spirit and purpose.

Finally to Rachel for making this fun.  It's not always easy and your hard work is noticed and appreciated.  Hope to see some of you in the Feather Man boards. 

Good Bye and Best of Luck to all.  May we all ride that 'hot lap' at least once in our lives.

bmbrennan
When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber. Churchill
Frequent Contributor
Drella
0 Kudos

Thank you so much, Rachel, for welcoming me into the group.  I've had a great time this month, and thanks for being such a wonderful moderator!

Drella 

Inspired Correspondent
Wrighty
0 Kudos

I can't even begin to tell you all how special this club has been to me. To be able to read such a great book, have an amazing and receptive author, have the author's equally amazing and receptive spouse (what a huge bonus!) and a wonderful discussion group to back it all up - this has been the best club I've ever participated in! Thank you to all of you. I will never forget this experience or this book.
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Thanks so much to Garth and Drella. I have never attended such a lively and wonderful book club on Barnes and Noble before this. Such wonderful remarks and comments given by all. I hope you come back real soon. Get busy with another book now!