Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
brontyman
0 Kudos

Re: The Art of Racing in the Rain: Eve (Spoilers)

Drella and Garth,

As we wind down the club, I will ask a very immature, rookie book clubber question. To what degree did Drella serve as a model of Eve? In my mind not a great deal as Denny was based on Kevin York. I suspect the character of Eve has more Garth then Drella. I am interested in your response, but recognize it may be too personal and would understand if you passed on it. The question is asked respectfully, and comes from my wondering how much a writer takes his characters from his own life.

Michael

"I don't need to fight to prove I'm right. I don't need to be forgiven..."
Baba O'Reilly-The Who
Author
Garth_Stein
0 Kudos

brontyman wrote:

Drella and Garth,

As we wind down the club, I will ask a very immature, rookie book clubber question. To what degree did Drella serve as a model of Eve? In my mind not a great deal as Denny was based on Kevin York. I suspect the character of Eve has more Garth then Drella. I am interested in your response, but recognize it may be too personal and would understand if you passed on it. The question is asked respectfully, and comes from my wondering how much a writer takes his characters from his own life.

Michael,
All of the characters are based on me.  Somewhere inside of me, I guess.  Some may have trappings of people I know.  Some may do things I would never do.  But the only way I can relate to them, the only way I can understand them, is to see them inside of me.
We all have the ability to be the most wonderful, spectacular people in the world.  We also carry with us the ability to be cold and hard and mean and angry.  
I am so very lucky to have Drella with me.  She guides me.  She helps me.  The shape of the story has a great deal to do with Drella, my muse.  But the characters I have written are not her.  I must take full credit and blame for them.  Their thoughts and actions are things I find when I am alone.
I can only hope that when people read my books--I think the message is consistent, though the delivery may have changed--they see this.  Both light and darkness is inside us.  
 Let us revel in the light....

Learn more about The Art of Racing in the Rain.

Discover all Garth Stein titles.

Frequent Contributor
brontyman
0 Kudos

Thank you for answering a personal question. I suspected the answer but it is good to have it confirmed. All that we manifest must come from within...The sun shines bright on Enzo's field, yes, let us revel in the light!
Michael

"I don't need to fight to prove I'm right. I don't need to be forgiven..."
Baba O'Reilly-The Who