Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Reader
kbrandt24
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: The Art of Racing in the Rain: Introduce Yourself

My name is Karen and I just started reading TAORITR last night and I love it.  I have a Cocker Spaniel who is the light of my life and he sits with me while I read. 
Please visit us at my book blog PLANET BOOKS:smileywink: -K
New User
larrythecat
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎07-01-2008
0 Kudos

Re: The Art of Racing in the Rain: Introduce Yourself

Hi, It's Melissa on Martha's Vineyard.
I can't wait to read this. It looks like a great book. I read A Dog's Life by Ann Martin a while ago and loved it. It was also written from a dog's point of view and was very sweet without being sappy. I hope this is as good.
"And miles to go before I sleep..." R.Frost
Moderator
Rachel-K
Posts: 1,495
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: The Art of Racing in the Rain: Introduce Yourself

Hi all, a small thread of messages has been moved because of spoilers! Lets try to keep spoilers only to the "whole book" thread! Thanks!

Frequent Contributor
brontyman
Posts: 194
Registered: ‎07-02-2008
0 Kudos

Re: The Art of Racing in the Rain: Introduce Yourself

Hi!
I am a 58 year old pediatrician, living in Southern California. I don't have a lot of time for recreational reading and The Art of Racing In The Rain, is my first read in a long time. I saw the book in Starbucks and walked by it a few times and finally picked in up while in line. The first page put a hook in me and the second page made me a true believer. There is something about the book and the voices the characters have that won't let me go. I look forward to sharing thoughts about a great read.
Michael Ozaki
Michael

"I don't need to fight to prove I'm right. I don't need to be forgiven..."
Baba O'Reilly-The Who
Frequent Contributor
brontyman
Posts: 194
Registered: ‎07-02-2008
0 Kudos

Re: The Art of Racing in the Rain: Introduce Yourself

Hi Melissa!
This is a book with a voice, it has magic in it. The characters are layered and textured, the story compelling. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Let me know your thoughts when you finish.
All the best,
Michael
Michael

"I don't need to fight to prove I'm right. I don't need to be forgiven..."
Baba O'Reilly-The Who
New User
Joy_Kundu
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎07-03-2008
0 Kudos

Re: The Art of Racing in the Rain: Introduce Yourself

Hi all:
 
I haven't read this book yet, but I have just ordered it since I don't have a car to go pick it up.  It sounds great! and I personally have some inclination towards Mr. Garth's other books including "Raven" since one of my great friends from my hometown is named Raven. She was a real character when I knew her, a real lively wild character.  It's terrible news though to know that she passed away when there was a terrible accident that cost her life in an automobile.  We all remember her every year at MADD holidays when we realize her driver was drinking, and she was sober as a passenger.
 
Anyway, now that I have run into both of these books again, I'll have to read them finally...
 
Joy
Frequent Contributor
bmbrennan
Posts: 153
Registered: ‎02-28-2007
0 Kudos

Re: The Art of Racing in the Rain: Introduce Yourself

Hi my name is Bridgid and I saw the cover of the book and bought it.  I have never read anything before by this author but will be reading his other books.  I am a nurse who loves to read and am a huge dog lover  I have a spoiled rotten English Mastiff, named BamBam.  He weighs 195 LBs, mostly fluff and will be turning 8 years old on Tuesday (7/8).  He is a character and when I told him he was getting old he responded by stepping on my foot.  I look forward to the discussions.  Hope everyone had a great 4th.
bmbrennan
When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber. Churchill
Frequent Contributor
brontyman
Posts: 194
Registered: ‎07-02-2008
0 Kudos

Re: The Art of Racing in the Rain: Introduce Yourself

[ Edited ]
Hi!
Welcome to the discussions, I look forward to your insights.
Your dog sounds like a real dog character!
Can you tell me the author of your quote  after your signature? It is a wonderful thought...my computer for whatever the reason chopped your attribution in half.
 
As a health care professional, how did you react to Eve's seeming distrust of medical care? Do you think it was denial of her condition, or was it deeper? Perhaps an undisclosed event in her past?
All the best,


Message Edited by brontyman on 07-05-2008 10:05 AM

Message Edited by brontyman on 07-05-2008 10:09 AM
Michael

"I don't need to fight to prove I'm right. I don't need to be forgiven..."
Baba O'Reilly-The Who
New User
novelidea
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎07-05-2008
0 Kudos

Re: The Art of Racing in the Rain: Introduce Yourself

Hello Garth,
 
It was wonderful to meet you in Hood River at our book club. I was inspired by your readings and to hear how you listened to Enzo and brought him to life. I also relate your publishing story to Denny's challenges, how he wouldn't give up on his goal. He wanted it all and was would stop at nothing to get it. From the sound of it it seems there's a little bit of Enzo in you as well! 
 
I stopped and listened to my current character while I was writing a novel that wasn't all that exciting to me so I listened a little harder and began the one I am working on now. I'm having a hard time restraining my compulsion to write it since I have just re-entered college after 17 years. Research papers are a buzz kill, but I do set aside time to write.
 
I've often wondered if other writers did the same thing as I always felt that for me, setting aside a novel was yet another project embraced then abandoned for something else. Sort of a failing of my spirit..falling short of my goal. But I know as humans, we have to persevere until we finally get what we need or want.
 
Enzo and Denny are inspiring characters in that they embrace all the good and noble intentions we have but rarely recognize and the nasty zebra that must be conquered in all of us. I hope I learn to listen to Enzo a little more now that we know him. He will be the dog with his chin on my lap when I need him most. Thanks for gracing our awesome little bookstore. I had a fabulous time.
Frequent Contributor
bmbrennan
Posts: 153
Registered: ‎02-28-2007
0 Kudos

Re: The Art of Racing in the Rain: Introduce Yourself

Here is the full quote by Bernard Edmonds
 
To dream anything that you want to dream, that is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed."
~ Bernard Edmonds
 
I think Eve knows that something is very wrong however she refuses to give into the situation until it is too late.  Whether it is something from her past, she does not want to know what is wrong.  When she hurts her hand, her adamant refusal to go the hospital tells you she doesn't want to know, she thinks but isn't sure something is wrong.  I have had patients who have have massive heart attacks and because they didn't feel the elephant on their chest, they didn't have one.  Enzo knows and it has been proven that certain dogs can smell tumors on the human body but who can he tell. 
With the onset of an advancing technology, people now realize that the earlier you are diagnosed the greater the possibility of a positive outcome.  Still there are people who hear the word cancer and equate it to death so they figure ignorance is bliss or that medical technology will save them.
 


brontyman wrote:
Hi!
Welcome to the discussions, I look forward to your insights.
Your dog sounds like a real dog character!
Can you tell me the author of your quote  after your signature? It is a wonderful thought...my computer for whatever the reason chopped your attribution in half.
 
As a health care professional, how did you react to Eve's seeming distrust of medical care? Do you think it was denial of her condition, or was it deeper? Perhaps an undisclosed event in her past?
All the best,


Message Edited by brontyman on 07-05-2008 10:05 AM

Message Edited by brontyman on 07-05-2008 10:09 AM


bmbrennan
When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber. Churchill
Author
Garth_Stein
Posts: 139
Registered: ‎06-19-2008
0 Kudos

Buckaroo

Where ever you go, there you are.
Buckaroo Banzi


That's MY quote! I used that in Raven Stole the Moon! You cheated!


Learn more about The Art of Racing in the Rain.

Discover all Garth Stein titles.


Author
Garth_Stein
Posts: 139
Registered: ‎06-19-2008
0 Kudos

Re: The Art of Racing in the Rain: Introduce Yourself


novelidea wrote:
Hello Garth,
 
It was wonderful to meet you in Hood River at our book club. I was inspired by your readings and to hear how you listened to Enzo and brought him to life. I also relate your publishing story to Denny's challenges, how he wouldn't give up on his goal. He wanted it all and was would stop at nothing to get it. From the sound of it it seems there's a little bit of Enzo in you as well! 
 
I stopped and listened to my current character while I was writing a novel that wasn't all that exciting to me so I listened a little harder and began the one I am working on now. I'm having a hard time restraining my compulsion to write it since I have just re-entered college after 17 years. Research papers are a buzz kill, but I do set aside time to write.
 
I've often wondered if other writers did the same thing as I always felt that for me, setting aside a novel was yet another project embraced then abandoned for something else. Sort of a failing of my spirit..falling short of my goal. But I know as humans, we have to persevere until we finally get what we need or want.
 
Enzo and Denny are inspiring characters in that they embrace all the good and noble intentions we have but rarely recognize and the nasty zebra that must be conquered in all of us. I hope I learn to listen to Enzo a little more now that we know him. He will be the dog with his chin on my lap when I need him most. Thanks for gracing our awesome little bookstore. I had a fabulous time.





Novel Idea,

Part of the process of writing is failing. That's how we learn about ourselves, our story, our characters. You're right: we must have the power to continue to reach, but we must not chastise ourselves for not succeeding at this moment.

Perhaps this wasn't the right story for you. Or it wasn't the right time. Set it aside. There is no wasted time.

When I teach elementary school kids, on the first day of my residencies, I give them each a pencil. And I've cut the eraser off of each of those pencils. Because I want them to know there are no wrong words, there are no mistakes. Write freely. Don't erase. Don't obliterate. You may use those words or that phrase somewhere else. Just because it isn't time doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

We all have a zebra. We all can master it and know it for what it is.

G


Learn more about The Art of Racing in the Rain.

Discover all Garth Stein titles.


Author
Garth_Stein
Posts: 139
Registered: ‎06-19-2008
0 Kudos

Re: The Art of Racing in the Rain: Introduce Yourself

Brigid,

Thanks for joining the conversation. I'll address your ideas--which are great, by the way--on another thread, just to keep order here. But thanks for this.

G




bmbrennan wrote:
Here is the full quote by Bernard Edmonds
 
To dream anything that you want to dream, that is the beauty of the human mind. To do anything that you want to do, that is the strength of the human will. To trust yourself, to test your limits, that is the courage to succeed."
~ Bernard Edmonds
 
I think Eve knows that something is very wrong however she refuses to give into the situation until it is too late.  Whether it is something from her past, she does not want to know what is wrong.  When she hurts her hand, her adamant refusal to go the hospital tells you she doesn't want to know, she thinks but isn't sure something is wrong.  I have had patients who have have massive heart attacks and because they didn't feel the elephant on their chest, they didn't have one.  Enzo knows and it has been proven that certain dogs can smell tumors on the human body but who can he tell. 
With the onset of an advancing technology, people now realize that the earlier you are diagnosed the greater the possibility of a positive outcome.  Still there are people who hear the word cancer and equate it to death so they figure ignorance is bliss or that medical technology will save them.
 


brontyman wrote:
Hi!
Welcome to the discussions, I look forward to your insights.
Your dog sounds like a real dog character!
Can you tell me the author of your quote  after your signature? It is a wonderful thought...my computer for whatever the reason chopped your attribution in half.
 
As a health care professional, how did you react to Eve's seeming distrust of medical care? Do you think it was denial of her condition, or was it deeper? Perhaps an undisclosed event in her past?
All the best,


Message Edited by brontyman on 07-05-2008 10:05 AM

Message Edited by brontyman on 07-05-2008 10:09 AM






Learn more about The Art of Racing in the Rain.

Discover all Garth Stein titles.


Frequent Contributor
brontyman
Posts: 194
Registered: ‎07-02-2008
0 Kudos

Re: Buckaroo

Garth,
I too saw Buckaroo Banzi In His Adventures Across The Fifth Dimension. ( I hope I got that right!).
He was the lead singer of the Hong Kong Cavaliers, and a neurosurgeon.
Yes , I read it also in Raven Stole the Moon , and thought in a perfect way to demonstrate that sometimes with words you have to move beyond thier literal meaning, and experience the meaning. This has always been a favorite quote of mine. I will be sure to give you the approriate attribution!
Michael

"I don't need to fight to prove I'm right. I don't need to be forgiven..."
Baba O'Reilly-The Who
Contributor
twizzle
Posts: 22
Registered: ‎07-09-2008
0 Kudos

Re: The Art of Racing in the Rain: Introduce Yourself

"Part of the process of writing is failing."
 
:smileysad:
 
Are you sure
 
Anyway. Hi.  I was first introduced to your books by this good friend, it's a long and complex story involving long and complex stuff, but this woman named Frango just raved about your writing.  Well, I finished your book, Mr. Stein, and had a million questions.   She sent me this link to your discussion-- I'm so thrilled.   I hope she'll be here soon, as well as Mags (That's another friend she referred your book to--she said she had a million ques too.) This is so great that you're doing this...
 
But, are you really sure about that failing thing?  That there isn't any way to squeak around it? 
Contributor
Mags-nificent
Posts: 14
Registered: ‎07-09-2008
0 Kudos

Re: The Art of Racing in the Rain: Introduce Yourself

Hi Garth:
 
I've just registered, and discovered that the user name "Mags" is already taken. I was wondering if you could do something about that? Thanks!
 
It's nice of you to be here! You look very dignified with your user name in author-red. I hope you've taken a screen shot of it for posterity!
 
I'll move along now, because smarter people (like Twizzle) will need space to say smarter things. You'll look into the user name problem for me, yes?
 
Sincerely,
 
Mags (-nificent, but through no fault of her own)
Oh, now who let me have a website?
That's really not a good idea.

Mother Wouldn't Lie!
Does your mother yell at you in your blog, too?
Contributor
CylonReader
Posts: 16
Registered: ‎01-29-2008
0 Kudos

Re: The Art of Racing in the Rain: Introduce Yourself

Hi -
 
My name is Lisa and I live in the beautiful state of Colorado.
 
As someone else mentioned in a discussion thread, I saw this book in my local Starbucks a couple of days ago.  I am a huge dog lover and took obvious note of the cover, but didn't give any real consideration to purchasing the book at the time. I happened upon this discussion while posting for another club.
 
Dr. Ozaki and Mr. Stein - your thoughtful and profound words throughout this discussion have been a pleasure to read. I am going to waste no further time, but will drive to that Starbucks tomorrow morning to buy The Art of Racing in the Rain so that I too can enjoy the story of Enzo!
 
With thanks,
 
Lisa:smileyhappy:
Author
Garth_Stein
Posts: 139
Registered: ‎06-19-2008
0 Kudos

Re: The Art of Racing in the Rain: Introduce Yourself


twizzle wrote:
"Part of the process of writing is failing."
 
:smileysad:
 
Are you sure
 
Anyway. Hi.  
 
But, are you really sure about that failing thing?  That there isn't any way to squeak around it? 




Well, Twizzle, welcome, and I think if you squeak around it, you aren't challenging yourself hard enough, are you? I mean, if you can do it right away, what's the challenge? And if there is no challenge, what's the purpose?

Writing is not simply expressing ourselves. That's easy. I can express myself all the time with little effort. But what makes a story compelling is when we delve inside ourselves, learn about ourselves, mine things we might not be able to tell others about, and then bring those things to the surface in a story with a dramatic structure and engaging characters and so on, so that when the reader reads, he or she thinks, wow, I never thought of it that way, but it's so true, I recognize myself in it!

In attempting to do that, sometimes we fail. Or I do, at least.

If you try too hard to be perfect, sometimes the work becomes precious, and I'm not sure that is good. The important thing is to recognize when something might not be working. And if it has become precious, put it aside, take the lessons learned, and start over again.

There's no time limit. This is a take-home test. Use all the reference materials at your disposal....

G


Learn more about The Art of Racing in the Rain.

Discover all Garth Stein titles.


Author
Garth_Stein
Posts: 139
Registered: ‎06-19-2008
0 Kudos

Re: The Art of Racing in the Rain: Introduce Yourself


Mags-nificent wrote:
Hi Garth:
 
I've just registered, and discovered that the user name "Mags" is already taken. I was wondering if you could do something about that? Thanks!
 
It's nice of you to be here! You look very dignified with your user name in author-red. I hope you've taken a screen shot of it for posterity!
 
I'll move along now, because smarter people (like Twizzle) will need space to say smarter things. You'll look into the user name problem for me, yes?
 
Sincerely,
 
Mags (-nificent, but through no fault of her own)





You're not a stalker, are you? Because I already have one on this board.

Mags-nificent....meet Brontyman!!!!

:smileywink:

G


Learn more about The Art of Racing in the Rain.

Discover all Garth Stein titles.


Author
Garth_Stein
Posts: 139
Registered: ‎06-19-2008
0 Kudos

Re: The Art of Racing in the Rain: Introduce Yourself



CylonReader wrote:
Hi -
 
My name is Lisa and I live in the beautiful state of Colorado.
 
As someone else mentioned in a discussion thread, I saw this book in my local Starbucks a couple of days ago.  I am a huge dog lover and took obvious note of the cover, but didn't give any real consideration to purchasing the book at the time. I happened upon this discussion while posting for another club.
 
Dr. Ozaki and Mr. Stein - your thoughtful and profound words throughout this discussion have been a pleasure to read. I am going to waste no further time, but will drive to that Starbucks tomorrow morning to buy The Art of Racing in the Rain so that I too can enjoy the story of Enzo!
 
With thanks,
 
Lisa:smileyhappy:





Jump onboard. I can tell, this discussion is about to get more lively!

G


Learn more about The Art of Racing in the Rain.

Discover all Garth Stein titles.