Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Drella
0 Kudos

Re: The Art of Racing in the Rain: Introduce Yourself

Hi Nu,

I just want to add: I love the questions you have asked me! It's just that to do them justice, since it takes me much longer to write anything than it takes Garth, I would be here for hours and I wouldn't spend any time with my one year old.

I hope everyone feels okay about me mostly posting about the actual stuff of the book.

Thanks!

Drella
Contributor
Nuhad
0 Kudos

Mr. Stein,
don't take this wrong but i didn't come here to get scolded or lectured. too bad you are so stressed. iguess i got an answer on that part of my question too.

Apologies to Drella for the inappropriate questions. She just sounds very interesting. I'll look for her posts.
Thanx.
Nuhad Omid
Contributor
Nuhad
0 Kudos

Hi Nu,

I just want to add: I love the questions you have asked me! It's just that to do them justice, since it takes me much longer to write anything than it takes Garth, I would be here for hours and I wouldn't spend any time with my one year old.

I hope everyone feels okay about me mostly posting about the actual stuff of the book.

Thanks!

Drella

-----------------------------------------

Dear Drella, I totally understand. I apologize for the obvious fauxpauxz i made.  I just think I got a bit of a tongue lashing. I guess he's protertecting his lady.
You are a magnificent person to be so tolerant of everything...you must be a fabulus mum.I stick to ?'s to do with the story only.
Nu.
Author
Garth_Stein
0 Kudos

Nuhad wrote:
Mr. Stein,
don't take this wrong but i didn't come here to get scolded or lectured. too bad you are so stressed. iguess i got an answer on that part of my question too.

Apologies to Drella for the inappropriate questions. She just sounds very interesting. I'll look for her posts.
Thanx.
Nuhad Omid

But you scolded me.

I'm trying to keep up as best I can. You berated me on the thread about not writing back. I only tried to explain my position, which is that I try to respond to all posts, but I have to let some wait until a later date. I hope, in the end, that all will feel I responded to their ideas and questions, but if I missed a few (like my favorite books), then I hope the posters will understand.

My apologies if you are offended by my post; I certainly did not mean to offend.

Garth

Learn more about The Art of Racing in the Rain.

Discover all Garth Stein titles.

Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Nuhad wrote:
Mr. Stein,
Thanx.
Nuhad Omid

Nu,
You were not being scolded or lectured to. I realize you are new to the clubs, but honestly, Garth was just stating facts, in a polite way and really, he is our guest. We are very lucky when we can get an author to give us their time for a full MONTH! That is what is so awesome about this whole thing but more demanding on the authors. Its not like a reading or "evening with the author" type of thing where they can field this question or that and in a couple of hours its over. They have busy lives too and to come visit us for a month, checking the computer as often as they do, well we should just cut them some slack. There is no need to be impolite.

As for Drella, Garth, you and Drella will forgive us if we jumped at her with questions please. This is something new to us. We have not had a spouse of an author before so we had lots of questions at first for her, but I know she wants to be another poster and I know we can handle that and visit back and forth about the topics as we do with each other. :smileywink: But we had to get our WOW cool, questions in lol. Also, on this point Nu, and I am not scolding you either ok? But actually, this club is about Garth's book and his writing, not about Drella or hers so thats what the discussions should be about. If we wander off that, well sometimes we just visit too. We usually have a community room in these clubs for that so we can talk about off the topic stuff or share things like that website about the lion that I did here because there was no community room and I hope thats ok, if some of us get off track at times Garth, talking to each other for a post or two. I know you know when its a question or just chatting.

OK! now, thanks again for being with us Garth and you have been very good about answering, sometimes we don't do the checking we need to, I know I have been guilty. And hey Drella, welcome fellow poster, interesting place to be, in here huh? I don't think I could just read a club and not post! There are too many things to post to, good questions or some good ole, what are you talking about, discussions too. Ok, "manifesting" light now and good things. I had a bad bad day and my zebra came out a few times, so did one of the hurt stuffed animals, so trying to get back on track. Hate to end a day on a bad note. Bad notes and zebras can cause bad dreams of crows! :smileywink:

Message Edited by vivico1 on 07-15-2008 08:32 PM
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Contributor
Nuhad
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
no, none offence taken. i will just walk like on glass when asking ?'s and insure they are worthy and not already covered. i do best i can in english language so some may be lost in translation to. plus i know artists authors and such are a bit eccentrix or a bit spoiled in this case.and do need cuts some slack .
peace bro.
Nu.

hey Viv.,  i get the pic. my blood pressure is up and my wife says stay away from the discusion. so problem solved.

Peace

Message Edited by Nuhad on 07-15-2008 09:50 PM

Message Edited by Nuhad on 07-15-2008 10:07 PM

Message Edited by Nuhad on 07-15-2008 10:08 PM

Message Edited by Nuhad on 07-15-2008 10:10 PM
Contributor
Mags-nificent
0 Kudos

Hi Drella!

I've begun referring to my poor, beleagured husband as a writer's widow, but I think he suffers in ways that reach far beyond my absence. (See: "Listen to this!" "What? Why are you laughing? Is it a funny line or a 'then' and 'than' issue again?" "Okay, good. So... am I intentionally funny or accidentally funny?" "Where are you going? Come back here! It was just a QUESTION!" ) I know. Ow. He's nice, too.

Oh yes, I am unpublished. Poor man.

As the spouse of a writer, do you have any pet peeves or tips on how to be a less horrendous partner while engaging in a phenominally self-centered and, well, selfish avocation? Jeff's really good, but I'm, um, not sometimes when I'm writing.

Not asking you to spill the beans or anything. I find euphemisms and metaphors highly instructive, and I can even get behind an outright lie if it's got some meat behind it.

I recognize that this is Garth's domain and that your presence here is a gift and a perk. I'll take input from anyone on the boards with a thought, acutally, and be grateful for it.

It's fun to ask you, though.

Mags.
Oh, now who let me have a website?
That's really not a good idea.

Mother Wouldn't Lie!
Does your mother yell at you in your blog, too?
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Nuhad wrote:
no, none offence taken. i will just walk like on glass when asking ?'s and insure they are worthy and not already covered. i do best i can in english language so some may be lost in translation to. plus i know artists authors and such are a bit eccentrix or a bit spoiled in this case.and do need cuts some slack .
peace bro.
Nu.

hey Viv.,  i get the pic. my blood pressure is up and my wife says stay away from the discusion. so problem solved.

Peace

We all need to realize, with not being there, talking by writing, sometimes what  some one saids, not trying to do it, but we put our own emotions into it. That is, words can mean angry or the same word can mean just telling  it to you like it is. I think its how the receiver receives it in his mind from the sender. I think sometimes this is worse than writing a letter since there is no emotions either unless you specifically write them, because you are trying to be fast and are not dealing with so many different meanings of how a word is perceived. We seem to hurryingly type the wrong word.  This has happened to me several times too on these clubs. Its best we not take a post to be nasty unless someone uses alot of unmistaken  words that would indicate that to us. 
Let's just read!    BE HAPPY!     LIVE!    
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

Nuhad wrote:
peace bro.
Nu.

hey Viv., i get the pic. my blood pressure is up and my wife says stay away from the discusion. so problem solved.

Peace

We all need to realize, with not being there, talking by writing, sometimes what some one saids, not trying to do it, but we put our own emotions into it. That is, words can mean angry or the same word can mean just telling it to you like it is. I think its how the receiver receives it in his mind from the sender. I think sometimes this is worse than writing a letter since there is no emotions either unless you specifically write them, because you are trying to be fast and are not dealing with so many different meanings of how a word is perceived. We seem to hurryingly type the wrong word. This has happened to me several times too on these clubs. Its best we not take a post to be nasty unless someone uses alot of unmistaken words that would indicate that to us.
Let's just read! BE HAPPY! LIVE!

Hey Kiakar, you got that right! How many times have you and I done that in here or even with each other in here (meaning the clubs)! lol :smileywink:
Vivian
~Those who do not read are no better off than those who can not.~ Chinese proverb
Contributor
ShirleyD
0 Kudos

Hello,
My name is Shirley. I am an avid reader and a big fan of Garth Stein. He had opened my heart and mind again on many things including reading more, thinking more, getting back my nerve to go to the races again and much more. I am so glad to find this location because Garth deserves the recognition for what he has accomplished with TAORITR! It is nice to see so much here Indeed he seems to be a one of a kind type writer to reach so many with one book. And one very special dog.
Go Garth. Go Enzo.

From,
Shirley Doughty
Auburn, CA
"Fiction writing is great, you can make up almost anything."
- Ivana Trump, on her first novel
New User
emtpnc72
0 Kudos

Hi. My name is Angie and I am a paramedic in North Carolina. I also am an avid animal lover and currently have 4 miniature dachshunds who are the love of my live. This book intrigued and I truly enjoyed it and have already passed it on to be enjoyed by another animal lover that works with me. I came away from the book wondering if there is a little enzo in the animals that I live with there are definitely days that I wish I could read there minds.
Author
Garth_Stein
0 Kudos

Shirley, Angie, welcome to the conversation!

Garth 

New User
canecorso
0 Kudos

My name is Jenn form Mass. A coworker gave me this book to read after she found out that my dog was just diagnosed with bone cancer. She knows my passion is reading, my love for dogs, and thought that this book might help me through my difficult time. It so happens I started to read the book a few days after our beloved dog Giana was put to rest. I cried my way through the first chapter and kept on reading. I fell in love with Enzo. I felt his pain, happiness, confusion, and finally peace.  It was the perfect book and the perfect time in my life. Thank you!
Scribe
vivico1
0 Kudos

Hi Jenn,

Welcome! I know what you mean about the first couple of chapters. Altho i do not have a dog, I have a cat, beautiful lively talkative cat who has twice now had bladder stones surgeries and the last was so hard on her, she nearly died and went into a depression too while mending because her sister would not get near her for two months and poor thing, every time she would come to me for comfort, mostly it was time for me to force this med or that down her throat again that she hated. And so until that time, I had never witnessed an animal actually suffer from depression. She went into starvation mode until she couldnt eat then and had to be force fed. The vet said, only cats will actually starve themselves to death, other pets will finally eat when they get that hungry. I was a wreck with her for two months. She is pretty much back to normal but I watch a lot to see if she's trying to use the bathroom anywhere other than her box because the vet said she would probably not make another surgery and I don't think I would put her through another one, altho to put down such a lively friend would be sooo hard! So when I read those first chapters, I was crying thinking about her and what is to come, even tho she is not an old cat. Sometimes I worry too much about her now and heck she is fine and happy.

It is a very real and moving book for a lot of us for many reasons and sounds like a good book for someone like you who has just lost a pet or may be about to. We will be here through the end of the month, I hope you stay for some conversations with us! :smileyhappy:

canecorso wrote:
My name is Jenn form Mass. A coworker gave me this book to read after she found out that my dog was just diagnosed with bone cancer. She knows my passion is reading, my love for dogs, and thought that this book might help me through my difficult time. It so happens I started to read the book a few days after our beloved dog Giana was put to rest. I cried my way through the first chapter and kept on reading. I fell in love with Enzo. I felt his pain, happiness, confusion, and finally peace. It was the perfect book and the perfect time in my life. Thank you!

Vivian
Frequent Contributor
brontyman
0 Kudos

Hi Shirley, Angie, and Jenn!

Thanks for taking time to comment on what the book means to you. You are among people who feel it too is special. Even though you may be passing through, I and the others,want to encourage you to take part in the discussions. Garth Stein and his wife Drella are her for the remainder of the month and they offer a rare chance to speak with the author and his muse about the novel. If you love this book there are questions I know you have, this is an opportunity to ask the author, how much better is it then that? Come on down, and lets talk some book!

Michael

"I don't need to fight to prove I'm right. I don't need to be forgiven..."
Baba O'Reilly-The Who
Contributor
ShirleyD
0 Kudos

Hi Shirley, Angie, and Jenn!

Thanks for taking time to comment on what the book means to you. You are among people who feel it too is special. Even though you may be passing through, I and the others,want to encourage you to take part in the discussions. Garth Stein and his wife Drella are her for the remainder of the month and they offer a rare chance to speak with the author and his muse about the novel. If you love this book there are questions I know you have, this is an opportunity to ask the author, how much better is it then that? Come on down, and lets talk some book!

Michael

Baba O'Reilly-The Who

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Michael, are you one of the moderators here? If not you could be! :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
brontyman
0 Kudos

Hi Shirley!

Thanks for noticing me..Rachel is our moderator. This is actually my first book club. I just got really involved with it, because I wanted to get understand the book at much as possible. Garth, has been really great with his participation, and Della his wife just adds to the insight into the book. Glad you're here as you have brought a new perspective, and a new energy to the posts!.

I also was at the Book Passage reading in San Francisco, I actually think we crossed paths. I sat in the front row, and was the guy who waited to be last in the signing as I had four books for him.  I remember someone saying they were from Sacramento, and that they got the time of the reading wrong. You were near the end of the line, dark hair, light clothes, about 5 foot three?

Michael

Baba O'Reilly-The Who
Contributor
ShirleyD
0 Kudos

___________________________________________________________________________________

brontyman wrote:

I also was at the Book Passage reading in San Francisco, I actually think we crossed paths. I sat in the front row, and was the guy who waited to be last in the signing as I had four books for him.  I remember someone saying they were from Sacramento, and that they got the time of the reading wrong. You were near the end of the line, dark hair, light clothes, about 5 foot three?

___________________________________________________________________________________

Wasn't me. I never wear light clothes in SF :smileyhappy:

New User
Booop56
0 Kudos

I just finished The Art Of Racing in the Rain this am. I cried at the beginning and cried at the end. I have a yellow lab puppy, and I would also like to like to think that my dog will come back in a human form one day. The story was moving and I'd like to read more books along this line, where the animal thinks and tells the story.

I am from Carlsbad, CA. I just joined this morning and was very happy to see that this book was listed! Thank-you! 

Author
Garth_Stein
0 Kudos

ShirleyD wrote:

brontyman wrote:

Wasn't me. I never wear light clothes in SF :smileyhappy:

Why not?  Worried you'll be mistaken for a turn worker???